Residency Placement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannabeFootDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any news on the class of 2018's residency placement? I know several schools have announced a 100% match rate. Just curious about match rates for schools as well as placements...

Members don't see this ad.

Under the impression DMU and Scholl are both claiming 100%. The match situation was likely pretty good this year jokingly based on the number of unfilled NY PMSR spots that were left at the close of MP2.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like most schools are touting a 100% match rate. My guess is that this number came out following MPII which benefits the schools in this situation. Any idea on any of the programs that each school matched to? Or is that info not released at this time.

CSPM had 100% match rate. Only one person was initially unmatched but quickly got a program.

Reactions: 1 users
Well if all these are claiming 100.. all 30 that we’re unmatched are basically coming from kent, Barry, Temple,and western? Wow

Under the impression DMU and Scholl are both claiming 100%. The match situation was likely pretty good this year jokingly based on the number of unfilled NY PMSR spots that were left at the close of MP2.

How many of these PMSR spots were left unfilled in NY? I think there was a mention that all the senior students who did not match last year at scholl all matched this year as well.

Per casprcrip press release
23 total unmatched applicants
10 2018 (this does not include students who failed part 2 twice)
5 2017
4 2016
4 2015 and earlier
At the time of the press release, there were 20 unfilled spots so that number could be smaller as well.
Not sure what the breakdown for each school but this should all but end “residency shortage” complaints, unless class of 2019 is looking to graduate 550+ students next year.

http://www.casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/pdf/PlacementUpdate.pdf

Reactions: 1 users
5 2017
4 2016
4 2015 and earlier
At the time of the press release, there were 20 unfilled spots so that number could be smaller as well.
Not sure what the breakdown for each school but this should all but end “residency shortage” complaints, unless class of 2019 is looking to graduate 550+ students next year.

If that overall number is capped at 550 students per year then there wouldn't be a worry of not matching, unless of course failing the boards an x # of times.
2018 was a great year and I hope this trend continues.

Reactions: 1 user
That press release was March 23, the end of MP2. As of right now 8 spots are unfilled/not filling, so the numbers above are lower by 12 spots, just not sure about the distribution among 2018 vs earlier graduates. Regardless, from here on out work your tail off, be prepared and act normal during externships, and you should have a residency spot.

2018 Unfilled Positions

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
How are there still people from 2015 without residency placement. What do they do in the meantime?

5 2017
4 2016
4 2015 and earlier

How are there still people from 2015 without residency placement. What do they do in the meantime?
I think some get preceptorships and work for podiatrists. I can't imagine not matching for 3 years in a row (assuming these individuals applied every year)

People who don't match have serious red flags, whether it be academic or social.

If someone is not able to match for 2 years in a row that means there is something very wrong with them as a candidate.

Also, residency programs aren't obligated to take a bottom of the barrel applicant in the scramble just because they have an open spot. Having a terrible resident can do infinitely more harm to a program than having 1 fewer resident.

This puzzles me. I would think that truly bad candidates, i.e unprofessional, bad academically, bad clinically, etc. would have been weeded out by pod schools to begin with over the course of 4 years. The person who fails boards 3X usually gets let go, or the person who fails multiple externships usually gets let go.

If someone has passed all the board exams, passed their minimum classes, and graduated, why shouldn't someone be guaranteed a residency? That was the 250K+ agreement when Pod schools accepted them and the student signed on the dotted line. Granted, I dont want someone who barley got through boards or classes to replace my broken ankle or operate on me, but I could totally see a subpar applicant doing fine with ingrown toenails, corns calluses, nails trimming, avulsions, etc. palliative care.

What constitutes a terrible resident?

Also, residency programs aren't obligated to take a bottom of the barrel applicant in the scramble just because they have an open spot. Having a terrible resident can do infinitely more harm to a program than having 1 fewer resident.

This puzzles me. I would think that truly bad candidates, i.e unprofessional, bad academically, bad clinically, etc. would have been weeded out by pod schools to begin with over the course of 4 years. The person who fails boards 3X usually gets let go, or the person who fails multiple externships usually gets let go.

If someone has passed all the board exams, passed their minimum classes, and graduated, why shouldn't someone be guaranteed a residency? That was the 250K+ agreement when Pod schools accepted them and the student signed on the dotted line. Granted, I dont want someone who barley got through boards or classes to replace my broken ankle or operate on me, but I could totally see a subpar applicant doing fine with ingrown toenails, corns calluses, nails trimming, avulsions, etc. palliative care.

What constitutes a terrible resident?

Believe me, there plenty of students who passed all boards first try, scored well on exams, and graduated that are socially awkward and have no business working as a doctor. Completeling minimum requirements doesn’t mean you’re a good candidate for residency. Add the fact that previous years had more residency applicants then there were spots, some people were going to be left behind. How things turned out this year, and hopefully future years to come, the problem of applicants>positions is all but gone. Still, that does not guarantee a residency, although lessen the number of people who don’t find spots. Again, you’ll be surprised about the number of “smart” students who act like jack@$$es or are shear lazy on externships. For most programs, they’re going to weigh a terrible 30 days with over 3.7 gpa/passing boards first try.

Reactions: 4 users
What do those people do? You can’t exactly work as a barista and pay off that debt like most people who get worthless undergrad degrees.

Believe me, there plenty of students who passed all boards first try, scored well on exams, and graduated that are socially awkward and have no business working as a doctor. Completeling minimum requirements doesn’t mean you’re a good candidate for residency. Add the fact that previous years had more residency applicants then there were spots, some people were going to be left behind. How things turned out this year, and hopefully future years to come, the problem of applicants>positions is all but gone. Still, that does not guarantee a residency, although lessen the number of people who don’t find spots. Again, you’ll be surprised about the number of “smart” students who act like jack@$$es or are shear lazy on externships. For most programs, they’re going to weigh a terrible 30 days with over 3.7 gpa/passing boards first try.

No residency = no Podiatry license = no work whether it's surgery or otherwise. This is true for the most part.
There's only ~4-5 states where you can work as a Podiatrist without your license i.e. It's not something i would count on.

This is not true. You are required to have a state license to practice medicine in that state. Without a license, you will be committing medical malpractice.

As AttackNME alluded to in his post, there are a few states (very few) that allows a Podiatrist to obtain a Podiatry license in that state without any residency training, provided that Podiatrist passes all of the other licensure requirements.

Reactions: 4 users