RippleIllusion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've heard that medical schools in China combine Bachelor's and MD degrees into 5 years. As an American high school senior who is fluent in Chinese, I'm wondering whether I should go there for college. I am planning to stay in the U.S. for residency and practice.

Pros:
-Saves money (tuition+board is about $5k per year)
-Saves time (5 years compared to 8 in the US)
-very exposed to clinical practice (lots of patients in China)
-more lax GPA b/c US residencies rely mostly on USMLE Step scores for foreign students (<---not sure about this one)
-no language barrier except for medical terminology
-family around the school

Cons/Questions:
-The medical school I am interested in is top 2o in China; is that viewed down upon for US residencies? Not sure how much the US is stigmatized against non-Western institutes...
-USMLE Steps; hard to convert Chinese terminlogy-> English? How difficult to self-study, given that I already have solid English foundation?
-Although I am a U.S. citizen, am I viewed as though an international student for my residency application?
-Do rec letters have to be in English?
Regarding rec letters: I am going to continue my summer research in the US, so hopefully an English rec letter can be obtained there. Of course, this is not enough, but one is one.

Thank you all for your advice and help!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the general rule of thumb is: do not ever leave this country for your medical education.

Sent from my LGLS676 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
There are countless threads on this forum explaining why this would be a terrible idea. If you want to practice in China, go to China. Otherwise, you'd be making a major mistake.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You would be considered a US-IMG (IMG = international medical graduate).

Usually the match rate for US-IMG's is roughly 50% (i.e. half of US-IMGs do not match in an ACGME residency). Compare that to US citizens who train at an MD program - their match rate is >90%. Many programs are not IMG-friendly or will only take US-trained students.

You would need to take whatever licensing exams are required in China in addition to all of the USMLE exams if you want to come back to the states for residency.

You would likely need to do audition/away rotations at US hospitals in your clinical years.

You're only allowed 4 rec letters per program for residency. An LOR spot shouldn't be wasted on a summer research activity that took place 5-6 years before residency.

Aka don't do it. You won't be getting ahead, you'll be putting yourself behind.

Reactions: 4 users
Cons/Questions:
-The medical school I am interested in is top 2o in China; is that viewed down upon for US residencies? Not sure how much the US is stigmatized against non-Western institutes... Nobody knows what "top 20" means in China. I am considering practicing in China down the line (way down the line) and have a somewhat China oriented focus and only know a handful of schools, never mind how they are ranked. I can guarantee that none of my faculty would have any idea of the quality of school that you are going to. This isn't about stigma. This is about practical realities of knowing the quality of education.
-USMLE Steps; hard to convert Chinese terminlogy-> English? How difficult to self-study, given that I already have solid English foundation? Not particularly concerning to be honest. The vast majority of Step 1 studying is self directed self study. Yes, a solid foundation is important and desirable, but of all things that I would be concerned about, this would be the least of my concerns. A motivated IMG can easily do well on the Steps.
-Although I am a U.S. citizen, am I viewed as though an international student for my residency application? You would be considered an IMG (International Medical Graduate) which carries with it varying levels of opinions.
-Do rec letters have to be in English? If you want people to read them, yes.
Regarding rec letters: I am going to continue my summer research in the US, so hopefully an English rec letter can be obtained there. Of course, this is not enough, but one is one. Letters of rec should be current. LOR are NOT about checking a box. In some specialties, they matter a ton. Careful selection and curation of letters is standard. If you are applying to vascular surgery, the majority of people competing for spots with you will have 3-4 letters from vascular faculty. THAT is what you are competing with. Every letter that is not current and on point is a lost opportunity that I can guarantee you other motivated students are not passing up.

Long story short, doing medical training overseas is far from advantageous and can be a complete disaster.

Reactions: 3 users