Residency interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Foot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I was just wondering if a current resident or a 4th year pod student can shed some light on how to prepare for the residency interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if you were an bughole the entire time you were in P. school, you might want to purchase a 'nice guy/gal' mask before the stores run out. This time of the year, they are in pretty high demand.

If you were not a bughole then just be yourself and know that if that isn't good enough for the programs you are interested in... that you could probably get into medical school or do another degree. lol.

Seriously, if any program is that hopped up on themselves where they can't spot phonies or expects something that you can't or won't be, then you probably don't want to go there anyway. IMO water finds its own level.

Academically, speaking start thinking the basics asap as far as ddx, dx, special tx plan that best fits the patient as well as having a solid foundations regarding your education.

I simply love all the old residency Q sheets that get passed around by some not so capable students, for some of the programs, which have old residency interview Q's. I mean if anyone has 20 years of Q's, honestly, do some of these programs really think that it means jack? Again those are places I wouldn't want to be in the first place b/c I'd question the real abilities/potential of the residents etc and basing ones intelligence and ability on old TQ's and old power point presentations has really grown quite old for me.

Most residency interviews are done in a case presentation format. You are given a brief history of a patient and then you have to work up the case. You read any studies that are relevant (radiograph, MRI, etc) and ask for any history or physical findings. You then have to formulate a differential diagnosis and decide on what you would do for treatment. During the case you are usually interrupted and asked various questions. There are often social questions following the case as well. It is sort of nerve racking, but if you practice working up cases before hand and know your material it's not so bad.