residency after Aussie graduate med degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

bgeez

Hi,
i dont know if this question has come across this forum before. i am a bit worried about situations after graduation. i am heading to Australia this feb for med school. after graduation, i dont know
about my chances of getting a residency. I heard u need a Aussie
permanent residency to get residency in Australia. and as FMG, coming to US for residency will be a battle in itself (though i know many ppl who have done it). I read about Singapore somehwere in this forum. But i dont know much about their requirements for foreigners. If any one has any knowledge on how to approach this problem, i would greatly appreciate it.
thanks
B.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by bgeez
Hi,
i dont know if this question has come across this forum before. i am a bit worried about situations after graduation. i am heading to Australia this feb for med school. after graduation, i dont know
about my chances of getting a residency. I heard u need a Aussie
permanent residency to get residency in Australia. and as FMG, coming to US for residency will be a battle in itself (though i know many ppl who have done it). I read about Singapore somehwere in this forum. But i dont know much about their requirements for foreigners. If any one has any knowledge on how to approach this problem, i would greatly appreciate it.
thanks
B.

As of now it is possible to stay in Australia after you graduate. There has been a new visa created last year the 422 which grants you the right to stay for 1 - 2 years after graduation to complete an internship.

As I have mentioned in some of my other posts if you apply for a PR independently your chances are much increased if:

1) You have a previous degree
2) You study in an area designated as "in need"

If you do not meet the minimum points requirements, then the only thing* you can do is try and get a PR via the "sponsorship" section...which is when the hospital gives you a 2 year contract because it's an area in need and you attempt to apply for a PR that way.

Keep in mind though that your Australian training is not recognized in the States, and that getting a PR in Australia may be a little more challenging that getting a residency in the US (also will take more time). Finally Australian residencies are MUCH MUCH longer than their US counterparts...and quite frankly depending on the hospital you are doing your training at - pass rates for the tests you have to take while training vary from 20% -90%...so this could end up extending your training for quite a while.

*Note there is another pathway: you can marry an Aussie Girl/Guy :)

I should add some other places you can go for a residency:

UK - though you will be required to write the PLAB exam as of this year (and each successive year henceforth)

Once you have completed training in UK though a lot of European countries will be open to you, especially if you get EU citizenship.

NZ - However this will only be open once you have completed an internship in Australia. And again you will require a PR to do so. (Note though that NZ internships are possible but highly unlikely since they don't even have enough internships for their own students).

Singapore - Possible and dont' require a citizenship to do so (as of this year) but again it could change tomorrow. Also might require some effort on your part to secure something there. My advice is to make some Singaporean friends to get you in the door.

Malaysia - Not a problem at all. The question is do you want to go there? It may not be the best place for everyone, and the salary you get will be low compared to one in Australia...esp. if you like converting [to a foreign currency]. However it will be more than adequate for life there. Long term prospects there are good; doctors well respected and quite well off. Unstable policitical climate may be a turnoff...?

Some ppl. in my class have informed me about Taiwan, Thialand and some other misc. Asian countries...dont 'know the specific rules as I wasn't interested in these myself. May have to be a citizen or have some connections. Problem is though you will definitely have to know some Mandarin/Cantonese.

Finally US is an option....but as you said requires USMLE scores that are pretty good; rotations in the US will help for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
i am heading to Australia this feb for med school.

Me too! Where you be at? I haven't decided where yet.

-pitman

thanks redshifteffect for the helpful infos. i wonder if its helpful to talk to residency directors now (US) since i havent even started school yet...
Pitman, i m heading to USyd. How about u?

Pitman you know you're coming to UQ, there's only one choice :D

Aghh, all the PRESSURE...I can't handle it!!!

I think I'll have to go on a fishing trip to sort it out within the next two weeks.

Pill Counter -- I have a few lingering questions for you, sir: how many Americans/Canadians are in your class (and where are the other int'ls from), what's their/your latest plan of action for LORs/res. given UQ's lack of early electives back home, do you do USMLE-type prep together, and finally, how many in your entire class are older than, say, 26 or 30?

THanks dude!

-pitman

thanks redshifteffect for the helpful infos. i wonder if its helpful to talk to residency directors now (US) since i havent even started school yet...
Pitman, i m heading to USyd. How about u?

If anything I would start to think about where you want to do your rotations.

If your choice is to stay here you are best to do your core rotations here, and then do electives in the US. (Most schools will make you do this anyway).

But keep in mind laws change quickly...and none of this is a guarantee in the next four years...