research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

north

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is research experience for someone wanting to go into ophtho? The reason I ask is I dont have any since college, and obviously it's better to have it than not have it, but i get the feeling ophtho places a higher importance on this than other specialities. Am i right, and how big of a handicap is not having any research experience? Also, does starting some at the beginning of 4th year help, or is it too late?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by north
How important is research experience for someone wanting to go into ophtho? The reason I ask is I dont have any since college, and obviously it's better to have it than not have it, but i get the feeling ophtho places a higher importance on this than other specialities. Am i right, and how big of a handicap is not having any research experience? Also, does starting some at the beginning of 4th year help, or is it too late?

Research definitely helps, but not required. I know many students who matched well without research.