Research year. Is it protected from on-call schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VitaminJack

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is research year (year number 4 or 5 depending on program) generally protected from being on-call on weekends or evenings or do you still have to rotate in the on-call schedule? What if there is more than one resident per year? Would that mean one wouldn't have to be on-call as much? I know every program is different but I'm wondering in general.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no "in general" answer to the question. Each program is a bit different.

We have 2 research years. One year is completely protected from clinical responsibility and call (6th year). The other year (3rd year) you are not in the general call pool but you do cover call when one of the clinical residents is on vacation and have one schedule call per month.

Our program is like this with 2 residents per year:

PGY-1: 6 months of neurosurgery with q4 call. Other 6 months on other services.
PGY-2: junior resident on neurosurgery; q4 call
PGY-3: research / pathology / radiology; one call per month plus vacation coverage
PGY-4: 6 months peds neurosurgery, 6 months neurosurgery at the VA; q7 call
PGY-5: 12 months adult neurosurgery, q14 call
PGY-6: full research year; no call or clinical responsibilities
PGY-7: chief year; no in-house call

At my schools program it seems that the junior research year is protected and senior research year is not so much. I wasn't around for the juniors' entire year, but that's what I have experienced.