Required Internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that in order to become licensed to practice in Australia and New Zealand you have to complete some internship years before the AMC (AUstralian Med Council) will grant you a license to practice. Is this an absolute requirement? And how many internship years are we talking about?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes this is an absolute requirement. Internship by definition (in australia anyway) is only one year.

redshifteffect said:
Yes this is an absolute requirement. Internship by definition (in australia anyway) is only one year.

If a person wants to practice in the United States after finishing medical studies in Australia, then does that person have to complete the internship year in Australia before applying to residency in the USA?

Members don't see this ad :)
redshifteffect said:

do you know if you have to complete the internship year in your home country or upon passing the exams will the individual be allowed to complete internship in australia? it is my understanding that in australia some medical doctors are required to repeat internship.

rocker said:
If a person wants to practice in the United States after finishing medical studies in Australia, then does that person have to complete the internship year in Australia before applying to residency in the USA?

As fas I know, No. I think you can complete your medical degree, get your ECMFG cert and apply through the match to a US residency without doing your internship in Australia.

rocker said:

No you can complete your medical studies and begin a residency in the US without having completed an Aussie internship. The timeline is that generally you complete all your exams leading to ECFMG certification during your 4th (final) year and apply to US residency programs during the last term (ie, Northern fall) of your final year, with residency starting the following July 1. This of course means that you will have approximately 6-7 months off between medical school graduation and starting residency.

WaZoBia said:
do you know if you have to complete the internship year in your home country or upon passing the exams will the individual be allowed to complete internship in australia? it is my understanding that in australia some medical doctors are required to repeat internship.

In Australia, like many countries, the licensing requirements are not international. That is, an internship or any training completed in another country may not be accepted toward licensing. Therefore, you should always do your training in the country in which you envision yourself practicing medicine.