Repeating OMS1 and OMS2 both - how grim is match looking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentwasconfused

Waiting on interviews!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dentist here doing residency in peds, so I'm a little bit out of the loop but come from a place of relative understanding. My fiance (bf of 2.5 yrs before this) is going to repeat OMS2 after having already repeated OMS1. He wants to do psych, do programs look at this and see that he's repeated 2 years of school? How poorly does that reflect on him?

And I guess more importantly, how can I be more supportive? Bc he's not happy with my responses and thinks I don't believe in him, but I'm more concerned than anything. He isn't showing signs of real change if he's repeating yet again another year, and I don't know how to be supportive other than shutting the **** up and saying "you got this babe".

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately for your bf, psych has become competitive.
If he is open to FM, community IM or EM, passes COMLEX (1 and 2), passes Steps 1 and 2 (on the first try), and executes a strong strategy, he can match.

Last edited:
Dentist here doing residency in peds, so I'm a little bit out of the loop but come from a place of relative understanding. My fiance (bf of 2.5 yrs before this) is going to repeat OMS2 after having already repeated OMS1. He wants to do psych, do programs look at this and see that he's repeated 2 years of school? How poorly does that reflect on him?

And I guess more importantly, how can I be more supportive? Bc he's not happy with my responses and thinks I don't believe in him, but I'm more concerned than anything. He isn't showing signs of real change if he's repeating yet again another year, and I don't know how to be supportive other than shutting the **** up and saying "you got this babe".
This is not fair to you. I am going to be blunt, he isnt giving you any real reason to believe in him. I can be understanding if repeating one year happens. However to have to repeat 2 years? What happens during year 3? Will he have to repeat that because frankly he is running out of respawns. I dont know the exact number but you have to graduate from med school within like 6 years. So he is at his max.

Honestly if I was in your situation I would be blunt with them while making sure that they are aware that I am coming from a place of love and compassion. Barring any real life changing circumstances there is no excuse for having to repeat 2 years. Personally I would ask my wife "Do you even want to be a physician? Because repeating multiple years makes it seem like your heart really isnt in it and thats fine but you need to be honest with yourself and if you dont want to do this then just cut your losses now. On the other hand if you do want this then you need to pull your head out of your ass and start grinding for it. Either way, I will love you and stand by your side on what you choose."

But thats just me. Good luck and I hope he is able to get whatever is causing repeats under control.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Repeating twice is very very very bad. He’s unlikely to match anything.

As you are surely well aware, peds isn’t exactly competitive. Ask your PD where they would rank someone who spent 4 years doing the first 2 years of med school.

Repeating twice is very very very bad. He’s unlikely to match anything.

As you are surely well aware, peds isn’t exactly competitive. Ask your PD where they would rank someone who spent 4 years doing the first 2 years of med school.
He wants Psych...

Reactions: 1 user
He wants Psych...

I think Hoov was saying to ask the PD since his soon to be wife is doing a dental residency is peds. With peds being not a competitive field in medicine that would put into perspective what his overall chances would be to match anything.

He wants Psych...
So? Repeating twice makes anything rough, even psych and rural FM. Even rural FM programs can probably find an applicant in the soap who didn’t repeat twice. And the rural programs in familiar with would rather soap.

The situation is bad.

I think Hoov was saying to ask the PD since his soon to be wife is doing a dental residency is peds. With peds being not a competitive field in medicine that would put into perspective what his overall chances would be to match anything.

I thought OP was a peds resident, not a dentist. So that part wasn’t applicable in retrospect.

Idk he better start thinking of a really good reason why he failed 2 years. If he has any hope of having a career in medicine he better not have any more failures. This really doesn’t look good.

Does he want psych because he thinks he can match into it or because he actually wants psych?

Im a psych attending, and i helped with resident selection committee roughly 4 or 5 years ago if I recall. Each applicant was scored on different domains, academics being one of them. We interviewed very few people who had academic issues, and they were ranked towards the bottom. The reality is this- most applicants have strong applications, so trying to compensate in other areas when you have academic issues, youd better have some amazing stuff and destroy an audition rotation, because most applicants have done cool stuff.

If hes failed two years, then that is not good at all and there is clearly an issue. DO schools are notorious for curving, so hes scoring at the bottom repeatedly compared to his peers. He still has step 1 and step 2, but seems to have issues with the material.

He needs to be thinking of a plan to WOW people, because hes fighting an uphill battle currently for the match. He needs to make a huge academic comeback, destroy step 2, and resume building to an extreme, making connections, being amazing during auditions, etc. Which people can have the mentality theyre going to do that, but actually doing it is quite hard.

OP, tell him he was smart enough to get into med school, so he's smart enough to graduate. He needs to.get to the learning resource center or student affairs to get evaluated for learning issues which might be correctable. Hard work can cover up a lot of sins. Time to get busy, ...very busy.

• Love
I agree this person will have a very difficult time matching unless they change things around immediately. They can't fail any more things, including steps. Ideally, he will get honors in several rotations. My recommendation is to apply broadly to every FM and IM program in the country. If he wants psych, he has to apply to every program, but he can't have strong hope to match

I agree this person will have a very difficult time matching unless they change things around immediately. They can't fail any more things, including steps. Ideally, he will get honors in several rotations. My recommendation is to apply broadly to every FM and IM program in the country. If he wants psych, he has to apply to every program, but he can't have strong hope to match

I have a friend who applied psych this cycle. USMD, 250 step 2, and no red flags with only 3 interviews. Not sure about all the specifics with the rest of his application. I know this is just a subjective example, but it seems psych has become a lot more competitive. I’m curious to see the charting outcomes for this cycle.

I have a friend who applied psych this cycle. USMD, 250 step 2, and no red flags with only 3 interviews. Not sure about all the specifics with the rest of his application. I know this is just a subjective example, but it seems psych has become a lot more competitive. I’m curious to see the charting outcomes for this cycle.
Psych does give more of a "second chance" to people with significant evidence of dedication to the field, but with multiple fails, it's hard to say it's realistic at all. I would apply on so that "what if?" is made quiet

Members don't see this ad :)
This is not even close to the norm lol. They probably limited applications on the basis of prestige or wanted to stay in a narrow geographic region. The local psych program in my hometown still regularly matches IMGs and its university based.

This is not even close to the norm lol. They probably limited applications on the basis of prestige or wanted to stay in a narrow geographic region. The local psych program in my hometown still regularly matches IMGs and its university based.

It is definitely a possibility that they applied to selectively, I am not quite sure. I just know their cycle did not go well given the stats they had.

At my school, he would have already been dismissed. We don't get to repeat a second time. I'm not sure what the norm is, but now I'm curious.

Reactions: 2 users
At my school, he would have already been dismissed. We don't get to repeat a second time. I'm not sure what the norm is, but now I'm curious.
I saw someone at my school repeat first year, twice. He's an excellent physician now. The school really recognized that psychosocial factors were affecting him and appropriately helped him become a physician. I don't think we know enough to say that this person deserves to be dismissed

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I know someone who did a pre med school masters thing, repeated two years, still matched peds in a competitive state, mediocre program. It's not impossible. Love the guy, but he had some unfortunate family circumstances, though definitely there were personal short-comings too.

• Wow
That sounds like a bad list and not a coherent enough story that psych is looking for in applications now.

I saw someone at my school repeat first year, twice. He's an excellent physician now. The school really recognized that psychosocial factors were affecting him and appropriately helped him become a physician. I don't think we know enough to say that this person deserves to be dismissed
I feel like most schools don't have that desire to help their students. I'm at a state DO school and still had 4+/-1 students leave in the first 2 years for similar reasons and the school wasn't really desiring to help them.

I feel like most schools don't have that desire to help their students. I'm at a state DO school and still had 4+/-1 students leave in the first 2 years for similar reasons and the school wasn't really desiring to help them.
Or it may be that the schools don't want to saddle a student with 2-4 years of debt because said students are at such high risk for never graduating, or even getting kicked out of residency.

I'll throw a flag on this. Most schools have a vested interest in their students success. 5% is roughlybthe norm for not graduating. The graduating student is the School's "Product". All schools want their students to graduate and especially excel. This helps the schools reputation and quality of applicant. As above, my school would not allow a repetition of 1st and 2nd yrs. The school also loses those years of tuition and federal monies. Students who are admitted should have all the skills required to graduate. A few predatory schools exist, and new schools undergo growing pains, but the majority are quite interested in their student's success.

• Love