Relevancy of PM News

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have only seen it in PM News.

View attachment 367239
So PM news goes on a diatribe about how sound our education is when that task force poked the AMA bear about the USMLE then follows it up with this? Seeing as we take the same pre-clinical courses (anatomy, micro, path, pharm, etc) why not just make it 18-24 months of in-person core/elective MD/DO rotations and get the degree?

Also the PA curriculum is so similar, idk what we'd get out of an online education that isn't already taught in Pod school. Plus the part of PA school that matters, the clinical rotations, can't be done virtually... Seems like a way to expand class (read: wallet) size without providing any real educational benefit.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
IMO DPM-PA duo degree suggestion is a big insult to the profession. PAs are supervised by physicians and thus imply that DPMs aren't physician with this proposal.

Objectively speaking, DPM training far exceeds that of PA training. We are assessed on 3 national board exams and then 3 yrs of surgical/medicine residency w/ fellowship opportunities. At the very minimum 7-8 years of total training.

I understand the reason to "increase scope" but this DPM-PA pathway has money grab written all over it and will only hurt DPM in terms of parity with MD/DO.

So PM news goes on a diatribe about how sound our education is when that task force poked the AMA bear about the USMLE then follows it up with this? Seeing as we take the same pre-clinical courses (anatomy, micro, path, pharm, etc) why not just make it 18-24 months of in-person core/elective MD/DO rotations and get the degree?

Also the PA curriculum is so similar, idk what we'd get out of an online education that isn't already taught in Pod school. Plus the part of PA school that matters, the clinical rotations, can't be done virtually... Seems like a way to expand class (read: wallet) size without providing any real educational benefit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
In theory, other than a couple potentially beneficial clinical scenarios the PA SHOULD make no sense. It is a bit of insult to the profession.

If I was involved politically or with the schools I would be against this.

If I was a potential student I would at least be interested in considering this. The job market is not great in the profession. A PA degree would give young doctors a back up plan, perhaps make them more employable and most importantly allow moonlighting opportunities while one opens their own podiatry office or even in residency potentially to earn more money on moonlighting. Podiatry is still a make you own opportunity and largely private practice driven. If podiatry had a severe shortage of institutional jobs and good moonlighting opportunity it would make little sense IMO just for some added scope here and there as a podiatrist.

The value is largely in the PA degree itself and the jon market for PAs, not its educational merits versus podiatry.

It would largely depend on how much it costs and how time consuming it was.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't look at it as an insult to the profession. Say someone is out there and their career as a podiatrist just hasn't panned out. Maybe due to familial/other commitments they're stuck in a saturated market, they can't find employment that is fulfilling/rewarding, and they don't have the aptitude to/don't want the stress of going solo.

This could be a good way for that person to reinvent themselves. I'm not going to be insulted that this person doesn't want my life. I'm not going to stand in the way of anyone trying to take their career in a new direction.

Reactions: 3 users
Physicians supervise PAs. DPMs aren't physicians if we need supervision by other physicians.

We need to strengthen the DPM degree, but merging with PA will set us back in terms of parity and we'd be a laughingstock in the medical community.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
IMO DPM-PA duo degree suggestion is a big insult to the profession. PAs are supervised by physicians and thus imply that DPMs aren't physician with this proposal.

Objectively speaking, DPM training far exceeds that of PA training. We are assessed on 3 national board exams and then 3 yrs of surgical/medicine residency w/ fellowship opportunities. At the very minimum 7-8 years of total training.

I understand the reason to "increase scope" but this DPM-PA pathway has money grab written all over it and will only hurt DPM in terms of parity with MD/DO.
That’s the problem with podiatry. So much training 4 years school + 3 years residency for such a limited scope and limited job opportunities. It seems to me that all attempts for podiatry to increase scope or sit for USMLE or get an unrestricted license, blah blah blah, all fall flat. At this point podiatry is doing injustice to people imprisoning them in training for 7 years before they can make a real income. If all attempts to upgrade licensing fail, and they are. The length of training should be shortened. Instead of a crappy 3 year residency a high quality 1-2 year residency is sufficient. Oh but we have to copy everything MDs do even though they never notice. So if the shortest MD residency is 3 years we have to mimic them! There is no thought behind anything this profession does. At this time in lieu of expanded licensing cut training time while simultaneously increasing the quality of the training. A shorter but HIGH quality residency would be better. Of course, none of this would ever be considered because podiatry sucks.

Reactions: 2 users
That’s the problem with podiatry. So much training 4 years school + 3 years residency for such a limited scope and limited job opportunities. It seems to me that all attempts for podiatry to increase scope or sit for USMLE or get an unrestricted license, blah blah blah, all fall flat. At this point podiatry is doing injustice to people imprisoning them in training for 7 years before they can make a real income. If all attempts to upgrade licensing fail, and they are. The length of training should be shortened. Instead of a crappy 3 year residency a high quality 1-2 year residency is sufficient. Oh but we have to copy everything MDs do even though they never notice. So if the shortest MD residency is 3 years we have to mimic them! There is no thought behind anything this profession does. At this time in lieu of expanded licensing cut training time while simultaneously increasing the quality of the training. A shorter but HIGH quality residency would be better. Of course, none of this would ever be considered because podiatry sucks.

Yes, current podiatry leadership blows. I hope it will get better and a superstar will someday emerge to take podiatry to another level.

I would love for podiatrists to take the USMLE someday, unfortunately there are schools with APMLE 1st time pass in the 60s/70s but are still accredited by CPME (example of bad leadership). Standards and policy are useless if you don't enforce them. These schools would get absolutely destroyed by the USMLE.

as opposed to now?

one course of action would be to get involved, be a part of the solution, change things from the inside.

Or you could make more memes.

Definitely more memes

• Haha
I hope it will get better and a superstar will someday emerge to take podiatry to another level.
It would require an entire group of super stars to change the status quo- not just one. When you get in power you stay in power. One good superstar will not change herd mentality for those already entrenched and reaping the benefits.

By the time you finish residency you've got loan repayments, a family to provide for, cases to build to get board cert, dealing with unfair offers....it leaves little room left for sympathy to want to do good for the future of this profession.

Reactions: 5 users
It would require an entire group of super stars to change the status quo- not just one. When you get in power you stay in power. One good superstar will not change herd mentality for those already entrenched and reaping the benefits.

By the time you finish residency you've got loan repayments, a family to provide for, cases to build to get board cert, dealing with unfair offers....it leaves little room left for sympathy to want to do good for the future of this profession.
This. Make more memes

1681096087470.png

Answer: Stop being a chiropodist

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 369149

perc flexor tenotomies are one of the easiest things we do yet so many people dont do them or dont know how to do them.
Its baffling sometimes what comes to the wound center for a chronic wound that I can cure in 7 days with the swipe of a 18g needle.

Reactions: 6 users
perc flexor tenotomies are one of the easiest things we do yet so many people dont do them or dont know how to do them.
Its baffling sometimes what comes to the wound center for a chronic wound that I can cure in 7 days with the swipe of a 18g needle.

• Haha
Seeing as how I continue to have a lot of free time regardless of which well compensated/minimal work hospital/MSG/Ortho job I have.....I promise to do my best to provide a daily " Best of PM News" review......the question is does this need a dedicated thread? Or just continue here. My vote is to continue here as there is already some gold that we don't want lost to the archives.

Seeing as how I continue to have a lot of free time regardless of which well compensated/minimal work hospital/MSG/Ortho job I have.....I promise to do my best to provide a daily " Best of PM News" review......the question is does this need a dedicated thread? Or just continue here. My vote is to continue here as there is already some gold that we don't want lost to the archives.
New thread, pinned, titled "Best of BM News". I expect it to be as epic as the meme thread.

Include a "Lehrman Count" for how many times his face pops up in articles/ads

• Haha
1681270909756.png

I guess being a podiatrist doesnt mean you're a podiatric surgeon anymore. Separate distinction.

She isnt D.ABFAS so shes just a board-certified podiatrist (ABPM?) but not a board-certified podiatric surgeon.

This is one of my favorite questions asked ever. We need to do a seperate thread for these.
There is some humor to it.

It shows how much the profession has changed...from this to 3 year residencies and many doing fellowships. Even now though there are many 7 year trained podiatrists who depend heavily or in some cases almost entirely on toenail trimming, so chiropody has not died.

What a coincidence just had a kickbacks lecture a few days ago. $8.5M is a little bit too obvious.

That’s wild. This is the former JPS director. Blows my mind that somebody with a huge surgical volume like that would go down this path.
Thats crazy. Didnt realize thats who this is (was).

Well, innocent until proven guilty I guess.

Thats crazy. Didnt realize thats who this is (was).

Well, innocent until proven guilty I guess.
He was also president of TPMA I think. Also, he was convicted. Next up should be sentencing. It will be interesting to see how much hard time he does.

“Carpenter and Hawrylak were convicted of one count of conspiracy to commit health care fraud and six counts of health care fraud. They are scheduled to be sentenced on Aug. 23 and face a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison on each count. A federal district court judge will determine any sentence after considering the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors.”

I think it sucks that people get in trouble like this. But in a way I’m glad to learn from other mistakes early in my career so I can avoid the same mistakes. Greed is the worst.

• Dislike
Blows my mind that somebody with a huge surgical volume like that would go down this path.
In the 80s they got several thousand for a bunion.
Now its about $500 pre-tax. Take home $300.
With global, wasted time at OR waiting for case to start, etc sometimes not worth it.
Much easier to write a script it seems.
I think it sucks that people get in trouble like this.
For breaking the law? You think it sucks people get in trouble for fraud and increasing healthcare costs which in turn affects everyone?
See my bunion reimbursement comments above.

With global, wasted time at OR waiting for case to start, etc sometimes not worth it.

For breaking the law? You think it sucks people get in trouble for fraud and increasing healthcare costs which in turn affects everyone?
Didn’t mean it like that. I’m glad they got caught.

"If the directorship position paid a fair wage, say $8.5 million a year, my plaintiff wouldn't have to resort to a life of crime to make ends meet" - his defense attorney probably. I hope they throw the book at them.

I get what you’re saying but the folks there are also cranking out big RVUs. Several ankle fractures weekly, recons, running 2 ORs etc. Makes this particularly unusual compared to the typical TFP getting busted going from giving pedicures to making millions.

"Carpenter and Hawrylak were convicted of one count of conspiracy to commit health care fraud and six counts of health care fraud. They are scheduled to be sentenced on Aug. 23 and face a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison on each count. "

7 counts x 10 years each.

Damn...

"Carpenter and Hawrylak were convicted of one count of conspiracy to commit health care fraud and six counts of health care fraud. They are scheduled to be sentenced on Aug. 23 and face a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison on each count. "

7 counts x 10 years each.

Damn...
consecutive vs concurrent sentences can make a big difference here.
Out in 5 with good behavior.
Still would suck. I dont wanna be in a lonely cowboy prison.

FOMO

It was astonishing how much Tricare was once paying for compounding medications.

"If the directorship position paid a fair wage, say $8.5 million a year, my plaintiff wouldn't have to resort to a life of crime to make ends meet" - his defense attorney probably. I hope they throw the book at them.
Would def solve the recruitment problem if podiatrists get paid that much. I wonder if the higher ups actually figured out it’s not the recruitment budget but other factors that drove the drastic decrease in recent application cycles.

That’s wild. This is the former JPS director. Blows my mind that somebody with a huge surgical volume like that would go down this path.
I’m equally surprised too. Met him before at a conference. Smart genuine person. I’m disappointed.

I met Carpenter when I clerked at JPS. I thought he seemed cool / well spoken, but he never gave me the time of day or spoke to me during a 5 week visit. I was still bummed to see the whole thing happen because what was created at JPS is special (though not without its flaws) and Texas needs more people creating/driving integrated programs where we are the foot and ankle service. I'd actually been following his federal case somewhat - talk about endless suffering. From charging to sentencing takes forever. Atul Gawande has this line that the most expensive piece of medical equipment is the doctors pen. I don't think he meant that in reference to fraud but it is unbelievable the cascade of actions we can put in effect, right or wrong. I have no idea what the compensation is like for being a JPS attending, but my generic feeling when it comes to older, established doctors is -don't get divorced-. I will always wonder what goes through people's minds when they enter into a conspiracy like this. I assume the initial pitch is always some version of "you aren't paid enough, you deserved a bigger part of what you do, this is your chance to take the money back" and then I guess you ultimately find yourself writing a compounding prescription and putting 99 refills down or something. Does the patient call you and say "there's been a mistake, why are there 10 boxes of tubes at my door". What do you tell them. What do you tell yourself when you cash the check.

Anyway, fraud hurts all of us.

Parity to parody

Not that I'm intentionally bumping my own thread, but some of the good comments in this thread are more germane here.

To recap, young DPM writes in saying job market is garbage. Dinosaur DPMs who graduated decades ago respond saying we need more podiatrists to battle the scourge of onychomycosis gripping the nation.

It all reminds me of Planck's Principle, the idea that science can only progress when the older generation of scientists die off and then younger scientists can advance their ideas unimpeded. Same can be said for podiatry. It's sad because wouldn't it be nice if we were all on the same team and wanted the same things? I don't want want my older colleagues to die off, just their views.

Not that I'm intentionally bumping my own thread, but some of the good comments in this thread are more germane here.

To recap, young DPM writes in saying job market is garbage. Dinosaur DPMs who graduated decades ago respond saying we need more podiatrists to battle the scourge of onychomycosis gripping the nation.

It all reminds me of Planck's Principle, the idea that science can only progress when the older generation of scientists die off and then younger scientists can advance their ideas unimpeded. Same can be said for podiatry. It's sad because wouldn't it be nice if we were all on the same team and wanted the same things? I don't want want my older colleagues to die off, just their views.

Podiatry tried to become too surgical with way too many pods for the actual demand (as evidenced by the garbage job market).

HOT TAKE: Shut down the dozens of garbage Doctor of Pedicure Medicine programs where residents quadruple scrub a 2 hour toe amp. Obviously the greedy schools will never change their laughably low admissions standards. Allow pods to practice non surgical without a residency… they should probably just be called chiropodists but whatever. The gatekeeping can happen at the residency level, since the bottom tier students will get left without a residency, which is appropriate.

Podiatry tried to become too surgical with way too many pods for the actual demand (as evidenced by the garbage job market).

HOT TAKE: Shut down the dozens of garbage Doctor of Pedicure Medicine programs where residents quadruple scrub a 2 hour toe amp. Obviously the greedy schools will never change their laughably low admissions standards. Allow pods to practice non surgical without a residency… they should probably just be called chiropodists but whatever. The gatekeeping can happen at the residency level, since the bottom tier students will get left without a residency, which is appropriate.
Yes podiatry did try to become way too surgical. Although who would willing choose a career in chiropody over being an RN or PA these days?

When one is overqualified and underpaid for most of the jobs available….what is the point of the cost, length and surgical nature of our training? For all to log the number of surgical cases they do in residency and then act like residents have two paths and can choose a non surgical career path after residency is a ridiculous waste of resources.

College students have not stopped being teachers and started going into nursing because there is some forum bad mouthing teaching. They are following the money and jobs.

Every time admissions drops podiatry schools blame internet forums. They have been doing it as long as the internet has existed. I get it…….the schools are so desperate and accept anyone, thus anyone that does research or is potentially scared away from podiatry by learning the truth about this profession is less dollars in their pocket. Applications going up or down has nothing to do with this forum, but maybe 2 or 3 less going to a particular school might. If podiatry was more desirable and had more qualified applicants than seats, this forum would be a non issue. It is actually laughable they are so desperate they blame it for their problems. I guess those at the top need something to tell their boards as the cause of enrollment shortfalls.

Podiatry has always depended on plan B medical school applicants. They are obviously choosing something else as their plan B or they already had a plan B all along and it was not podiatry.

Podiatry needs to accept they have decided to be a surgical specialty by mandatory 3 year residencies. There is no going back now. To have an appropriate job market for this decision we need to graduate 150-200 students maximum per year.

I will go on record and recommend podiatry as a good career, regardless of whatever board or other issues exist, when we have enrollment under 200 at the schools, and highly recommend podiatry as a career when we have under 150.

Vision 2040......Shrink Podiatry into Prosperity!
150 total slots per year for student enrollment.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users