MD & DO Relationships & Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Super_Med

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a bad idea to begin a long-term romantic relationship in med school, especially if it’s with a fellow classmate? When would be the ideal time to get married/start a family in this career?

Members don't see this ad.

We had 4-5 marriages come out of our class. There is no “ideal time” to get married or start a family, the ideal time is the time where it works best for you personally. Everyone is different.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We had 4-5 marriages come out of our class. There is no “ideal time” to get married or start a family, the ideal time is the time where it works best for you personally. Everyone is different.
I was thinking more along the lines of what time in medical school would be most flexible in terms of taking time off from studying to do this? Obviously you wouldn’t want it to overlap with dedicated Step study time, and 50+ hour weeks during residency would make it tough as well. I’m guessing some time during M4 year would be ideal?

Everyone is different, no right time to get married for anyone. I'm planning on getting married fourth year before residency so my SO cant so easily get rid of me during residency xD

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I was thinking more along the lines of what time in medical school would be most flexible in terms of taking time off from studying to do this? Obviously you wouldn’t want it to overlap with dedicated Step study time, and 50+ hour weeks during residency would make it tough as well. I’m guessing some time during M4 year would be ideal?
If you don't have time in medical training to have a relationship then you're doing it wrong. Yes, even during dedicated board prep and residency.

Reactions: 4 users
Is it a bad idea to begin a long-term romantic relationship in med school, especially if it’s with a fellow classmate? When would be the ideal time to get married/start a family in this career?
The couples match is 10/10 fun. Go for it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
This is a bit of a silly question. Life doesn’t stop for medical school. Don’t ask SDN what to do and just live your life and do what your heart tells you.

In terms of the logistics of co-medical student relationships, an ideal time to get married (if we assume you two stay together for that long and your relationship burgeons to that) is post-match day of your fourth year when you two know where you’ll each be training for residency. You should make the decision to couples match based off each of your aspirations and if the relationship is engagement worthy. That said, life shouldn’t stop for medical training and some people find a way to make weddings work during rotations or during residency/fellowship.

Last edited:
Something something don’t **** where you eat, but I say go for it since you never know for sure unless you try.
I’ll never understand this phrase in the context of medical school. If you break up, hopefully people have matured past their high school days and drama/friend circles don’t do stupid stuff. Medical school’s really not a job and in 3rd year even if you happen to be on the same rotation, you can make your relationship known to the clerkship director so minor scheduling things can be made.

Even in residency, when a resident meets another resident usually it’s universally embraced as a happy occurrence and the PD embraces it, engagement photos are shared at town-hall, and residents or people close gets invited to the wedding. People couples match all the time and this would be no different and PDs would be happy to rearrange schedules so that the more senior resident isn’t supervising the more junior resident.

I would actually say that medical school is an ideal time to find someone if you’re interested in a co-physician relationship as you’re both relatively young and have some time to learn about each other’s tendencies. Residency/fellowship/attending life are not bad times either. It’s your life. Don’t let anyone else’s progress, standards, or expectations dictate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Believe it or not - some relationships can make you a better student anyway

Believe it or not - some relationships can make you a better student anyway
step 1: Go to medical school

step 2: find the smartest person in your class

step 3: go out with them

step 4: have them make you Anki decks, study guides, and share all their resources

you may be on to something there kardio...

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
step 1: Go to medical school

step 2: find the smartest person in your class

step 3: go out with them

step 4: have them make you Anki decks, study guides, and share all their resources

you may be on to something there kardio...
What if the smartest person is already in a relationship

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
What if the smartest person is already in a relationship
Supplemental rules:

2a. Go to school with public preclinical grading

2b. wait until after the first semester

2c. Go down the rankings list in descending order

2d. Pray they didn't just have one lucky semester

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
If you break up, hopefully people have matured past their high school days and drama/friend circles don’t do stupid stuff.
Med school was like regressing to high school, what with spending all day with only the people in your year.

If you're compatible with someone and like them, absolutely go for it. Doesn't matter if it's a classmate or not.

Something something don’t **** where you eat, but I say go for it since you never know for sure unless you try.

For most men, unless you're a legit Chad, you're better off taking most quality dating opportunities you get.

My rule of of thumb for my school is that every year by graduation, two couples tell us that they're engaged.