Recommender terminally ill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pooppooppoop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

There are a number of schools that I am applying to that require a letter of recommendation from all previous PIs. One PI, who I was very close with and has already written me a great letter in the past, was recently diagnosed with a terminal illness. As a result of this, he will be unable to write me a letter. When it comes to applying to medical schools that require PI letters, should I simply state he was unable to provide a letter due to this situation? Is there anything in particular that you recommend I do?

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

If he wrote you a letter before, can't he use that one? Or, can you two have a graduate student/post-doc you work with step in as the PI (or claimed PI) and ask them to do it?
Hopefully the secondary for those schools has an 'anything else we should know' section and you can mention this here - you dont really want to use characters in the experience description of AMCAS to discuss this, but maybe you'll have to.

Reactions: 1 users
Why can't he write a letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why can't he write a letter?
I mean do you want to write LOR's in your final days on this earth with your family?.. To actually answer, I would guess that the PI has been given a few months to live and the poster isn't applying this cycle and/or doesn't think they can hand in a letter from a dead person, since the writer is supposed to upload it themselves.

I mean do you want to write LOR's in your final days on this earth with your family?.. To actually answer, I would guess that the PI has been given a few months to live and the poster isn't applying this cycle and/or doesn't think they can hand in a letter from a dead person, since the writer is supposed to upload it themselves.

Why not? "Terminal" could be months to years. Writing a letter is easy, and PIs in academia often pride themselves on helping the younger generation. So maybe you're making a big assumption.

The writer simply described it as a "fatal ailment", said he would be unable to write the letter, and feels terrible for "upending me like this." He is clearly in a dire situation and I wanted to respect his wishes and not press him further. He has a lot going on with this recent diagnosis, and writing me a letter should really be the least of his concerns. I am not making an assumption, but purely approaching this based on what he told me and my relationship with him. Him and I have a great relationship and I honestly just want him to be as happy and stress free as possible as he copes with this.

But what I would like to know is, do I write this in an additional information section? Will medical schools find such as situation suspicious/odd? I have not seen any threads like this before and am hoping for more information. Thanks.

Also, I will be applying this next cycle, if that was unclear in my initial post.

The writer simply described it as a "fatal ailment", said he would be unable to write the letter, and feels terrible for "upending me like this." He is clearly in a dire situation and I wanted to respect his wishes and not press him further. He has a lot going on with this recent diagnosis, and writing me a letter should really be the least of his concerns. I am not making an assumption, but purely approaching this based on what he told me and my relationship with him. Him and I have a great relationship and I honestly just want him to be as happy and stress free as possible as he copes with this.

But what I would like to know is, do I write this in an additional information section? Will medical schools find such as situation suspicious/odd? I have not seen any threads like this before and am hoping for more information. Thanks.

Also, I will be applying this next cycle, if that was unclear in my initial post.
I think the best thing you can do is write it in the additional information section for every school you’re looking at during their secondary. Check this year’s secondaries in the schools specific threads if you’re concerned the school doesn’t have a section like that, however, I think they all do as some people use it for updates after their AMCAS was submitted.

When you prep for interviews, prepare to talk about your actual research and prepare to talk about your PI - to describe the letter situation perhaps, to discuss an academic role model and mentor, and maybe even to show you soft skills that doctors need if the PI’s sudden end to their career due to illness comes up.
Best wishes for you and the PI, you’re in a tough situation but I think you did the right thing not to push about the prognosis.

I'm no expert on this, but yeah, write it down in the additional information. You can always follow up by calling admissions to make sure it goes through properly, but this can't be the first time this has happened. I'm sure this will be surmountable for you!

Why not? "Terminal" could be months to years. Writing a letter is easy, and PIs in academia often pride themselves on helping the younger generation. So maybe you're making a big assumption.
Wow. Hope your never my doctor

Reactions: 7 users
Thank you everyone fore the replies and help! I will be sure to make a short statement to put in my secondaries. Also, I agree that it should not be a problem because worst case this is easily verifiable.

I think the best thing you can do is write it in the additional information section for every school you’re looking at during their secondary. Check this year’s secondaries in the schools specific threads if you’re concerned the school doesn’t have a section like that, however, I think they all do as some people use it for updates after their AMCAS was submitted.

When you prep for interviews, prepare to talk about your actual research and prepare to talk about your PI - to describe the letter situation perhaps, to discuss an academic role model and mentor, and maybe even to show you soft skills that doctors need if the PI’s sudden end to their career due to illness comes up.
Best wishes for you and the PI, you’re in a tough situation but I think you did the right thing not to push about the prognosis.

Thank you, I really appreciate it. He has been a great mentor and an incredible example of how one can effectively balance life in a career in science. Also, what soft skills are you referring to here?

Thank you, I really appreciate it. He has been a great mentor and an incredible example of how one can effectively balance life in a career in science. Also, what soft skills are you referring to here?
Like if his terminal illness or untimely death comes up, they might ask a question or ask for you to detail the background in a way that shows empathy, compassion... Maybe the basic ethical values of medicine of justice, benificence, nomaleficence and autonomy. Example takeaways from the situation that others may notice of you/your actions: You don't have a LOR from him because you respected his wishes (autonomy), not questioning what he told you gave him privacy and respect, and you are accepting of him not providing a LOR despite the time you gave to his work because you did not want to strain him with more stress and work in his last few weeks/months (nonmaleficence).

I am very sorry to hear that for your PI. In this situation, it's probably better to have an open conversation with him about the letter. Even if he is unable to write the letter, you should still show effort of trying if you have spent a lot of time and had some production from the lab. Maybe he can find some alternative ways to help you, such as having you write the LOR and he will sign off.

Btw, PI letters aren't required unless you're applying for MD/PhD. In the worst case scenario that you won't have the PI letter, it would still be okay for MD admission.

I know this is a delicate situation, so please handle it carefully. Wish all the best to your PI.

I can't see pressing the PI for a letter. In the experience section where you list that research lab, put something in the description that the PI is termanally ill (or deceased if he dies before you submit the application). You will still need to have a "contact" for that research activity and perhaps that person (a post-doc, a doctoral student) could write a letter attesting to your role in the lab.

Reactions: 3 users
I can't see pressing the PI for a letter. In the experience section where you list that research lab, put something in the description that the PI is termanally ill (or deceased if he dies before you submit the application). You will still need to have a "contact" for that research activity and perhaps that person (a post-doc, a doctoral student) could write a letter attesting to your role in the lab.

Thank you, that is very helpful. If I use someone else as a contact it will probably have to be the heads of the program, as I worked with this PI during a summer internship. His lab was small in staff. He only had a post-doc, who left soon after I did, and he has seldom heard from since I worked with him. The PI did not have any grad students in his lab. The only other people in the lab other than myself and the post-doc were two older lab techs who do not speak english very well. Therefore, I am not sure I will be able to get a letter at all from my experience in this position, but I could still have someone to serve as a contact if the PI is unable to serve that role.