Recommended Textbook for PGY-2 onwards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zora98

The Stethoscope Weilder
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a Peds PGY-2, and I was wondering what would be a good textbook/all-around comprehensive peds resource that I can read cover to cover in order to "read for life" as opposed to just reading for boards? I feel like my pathophys especially is very lacking, and want to strengthen my foundation again. I will continue to read on my specific patients and study for boards via medstudy/PREP questions.

I was debating Nelson's or Zitelli, but I'm open to other options. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well Nelson's is the gold standard and Zitelli's is great for visual stuff, but it isn't all encompassing. But Nelson's to "read for life?" I knew a gastroenterologist who claimed to read through the gastro section of Nelson's once per year, but he was effing weird.

Why not just do Peds in Review? Those are great for monthly reading. Nelson's is in depth, but it also isn't good stepwise thing to read on what to do. But if you are absolutely looking for a text book, I would say Nelson's I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
I pick topics on UpToDate and take notes, review them periodically. I also like pocket pediatrics

Members don't see this ad :)
Well Nelson's is the gold standard and Zitelli's is great for visual stuff, but it isn't all encompassing. But Nelson's to "read for life?" I knew a gastroenterologist who claimed to read through the gastro section of Nelson's once per year, but he was effing weird.

Why not just do Peds in Review? Those are great for monthly reading. Nelson's is in depth, but it also isn't good stepwise thing to read on what to do. But if you are absolutely looking for a text book, I would say Nelson's I guess.
Yeah, Peds in Review is a good option. I read a few in intern year. Does it cover pathophys well? Tbh I did crack open my pdf of Nelson's and just had a glazed look on my face haha. I just want to make sure that I'm learning with enough depth that board studying may not provide.

I pick topics on UpToDate and take notes, review them periodically. I also like pocket pediatrics
Nice. But man, you can go down a rabbit hole with UTD, clicking on this other article and that. How do you prevent yourself from doing that?

Realistically, the best way to 'read for life' is to read up on your patients as you see them, which is best done via Peds in Review or Up-To-Date. For most things, you won't need in depth pathophysiology, and that which is provided by those two sources should be more than enough.

Boards, on the other hand, does require an in depth knowledge of pathophys, so for that, you should get a more detailed book, like Nelson's. But I never read Nelson's (I don't think I even bought it), and passed boards with a wide margin using MedStudy books and questions.

Reactions: 1 users