Recommended Masters Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alan119

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for advice on Masters programs that look great for vet school but also allows a Plan B if vet school doesn't work out. I am currently studying Animal Science in undergrad. I had a meeting with an advisor at the vet school I am interested in, and he recommended to me a masters in Public Health. As I am considering the option, I was wondering if any one on here who attained a masters and got into vet school could let me know which Masters program they attained?

Thank you all for your help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I completed a master's in medical science from Boston university. I am currently completing a master's in One Health at Royal Veterinary College in the UK. Upenn were really interested in one health when I went to interview. The One Health masters would definitely give you a plan B because you cover so many different things and it offers you the opportunity to really do anything. Feel free to message me if you want more information.

Do whatever you're interested in doing.

If you can't be vet, what kind of work do you see yourself in? What kind of skills and experiences do you want to take away from a master's program?

MPH's are great.... if you like public health. Typically, they're unfunded which means you'll be taking on more debt whether you do the program separately or combined with a DVM. I personally have benefited from doing an MPH (experientially, not financially), but a lot of my peers who started or finished the degree aren't going to get as much from it because they have no interest in working in public health, government, regulatory vet med, etc. I always suggest that people get some experience in public health before they jump into an MPH.... and not just experience that gravitates around food safety and zoonotic diseases ("animal stuff"). Public health is much more than that and if you're looking for "Plan B" you need to be well prepared for the reality of the whole profession.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did my masters at Colorado state in Biomedicam Science. It more than prepared me for veterinary anatomy/physiology and there's a ton of careers they hook you up with upon graduation if vet school doesn't work out.

I am knocking out my Masters in Public Administration with a concentration in Public Health Administration at Troy. Though, it is a business degree and not science based. This course was beneficial for its online courses while I work in the Army. It bridges the 5-year shelf life from my Bachelor's degree. Also, if things works out it helps builds my professional resume down the road.

V/R
Graham.

I love microbiology and I'm interested in zoonotic diseases, so I did a Masters in Public Health Microbiology & Emerging Infectious Diseases! Great decision; it morphed my interest in veterinary medicine and really made me a unique and strong applicant! Not to mention, I was able to dip my toe in the public health world! Message me if you want more info

@alan119 I have an MPH in Epidemiology and have worked fulltime as an epidemiologist for about 5 years post-MPH and will be starting vet school in the fall. I would agree with others that you should get a masters in something you would really like to do even if vet school doesn't work out.

If that is public health there are other things to consider: for an MPH, most of the classes are only going to contribute to last-45 GPA for vet school and are not going to be "hard science" courses that boost pre-reqs. I don't think my MPH itself helped me to get in, but rather the experiences I have gained in public health before, during, and after earning the degree (I am a senior-level epidemiologist in Zoonotic disease but also had public health experience prior to applying to MPH programs). An MPH is also an applied degree, so if you ultimately want to work in public health there is a chance of becoming "over educated and under experienced" if you don't use your MPH at all. If you get an MPH and go straight into Vet school with no public health experience, it will limit some of your job prospects (in some organizations you would have too much education for entry level public health jobs, but not enough public health experience for the ones suited for someone with a doctoral degree). That said, those jobs are definitely out there - people get DVM/MPH joint degrees all the time and there are definitely fellowships and other options intended specifically for people with that high level education without much experience, but it's just something else to consider if your plan is to try to enter vet school directly from your masters program. If you do an MPH, I would suggest working for at least a year or two after if possible to strengthen your experiences for post-DVM job prospects (assuming you wanted to work in public health). If you do not want to work in public health then I would strongly consider something other than an MPH, as @Jess Monster said, they are most often not-funded and it's just extra debt if you don't intend to use it.

Last edited:
The Tufts Cummings vet school actually offers 3 or 4 master's programs on campus that have 11-20 students each. They are all wonderful and extremely beneficial to prepare for professional school or a "plan B" career related to veterinary medicine. A lot of the classes are the same as ones the vet students take and sometimes we even had class rhter

I also did an MS in Biomedical Sciences at CSU, but I did the Assisted Reproductive Technologies program.

I am on my plan B track as an embryologist.