Recommend a good book to learn Urdu from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golgi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm Irish-American and will be visiting Pakistan (my bro-in-law is Pakistani and will be getting married there). I was wondering if anyone can recommend a book that I can start learning conversational Urdu from...thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Spoken Hindi and Urdu are similar. You may want to learn some spoken Hindi as well as become familiar with the Arabic script (which is used in Urdu if I'm not mistaken).

At Harvard, they teach Hindi/Urdu in the same course.

Urdu has more loanwords from Arabic while Hindi has more loanwords from English. I'm not aware of many Urdu language learning materials. There are a few for Hindi and a plethora for Arabic.

Good luck

golgi said:
I'm Irish-American and will be visiting Pakistan (my bro-in-law is Pakistani and will be getting married there). I was wondering if anyone can recommend a book that I can start learning conversational Urdu from...thank you!
Learn Hindi and punjabi....and u will do great....just find out which part of Pakistan you will be in......Language depends on the various divisions.......anyways..they are very nice and friendly people......so just try to learn hindi or punjabi...all the best :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
TUSSI G8 HO!BANDA URDU SIKHNA CAHATA HAI,AUR AAP OOSKO PUNJABI SIKHNE KELIYE BOL RAHA HO? :laugh: :smuggrin:WAH WAH!JAWAB NAHIN AAPKA....
meetlife said:
Learn Hindi and punjabi....and u will do great....just find out which part of Pakistan you will be in......Language depends on the various divisions.......anyways..they are very nice and friendly people......so just try to learn hindi or punjabi...all the best :thumbup:

prady said:
TUSSI G8 HO!BANDA URDU SIKHNA CAHATA HAI,AUR AAP OOSKO PUNJABI SIKHNE KELIYE BOL RAHA HO? :laugh: :smuggrin:WAH WAH!JAWAB NAHIN AAPKA....
Thanks...I am lajawaab...........

prady said:
ACHA JI?KYA TAARIF KIA KHUDKO!!!LAJAWAAB!!hehehehehehe.....!!! :smuggrin:
Do you want to add some more good words about me??

prady said:
no comments...............!infact i lost track of the words meant 4 u!!!! :laugh: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :laugh:
Too forgetful or stingy with the words?????