Rec Letters for IR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

histoplasma

Reaction score
Hey, M2 (starting rotations soon) here who's 100% set on doing IR. I had a question regarding rec letters. I go to a med-tier midwestern school with an IR program but all of my research was done at another medical school in the same city (the guy who coordinated research at my school didn't have any projects when I emailed him so I just emailed some attendings somewhere else and got on projects there). As a result, I don't really have much of a relationship between the IR faculty at my institution. Would it be necessary (or advisable) to get rec letters from my home institution? Also, generally how many rec letters are recommended?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, M2 (starting rotations soon) here who's 100% set on doing IR. I had a question regarding rec letters. I go to a med-tier midwestern school with an IR program but all of my research was done at another medical school in the same city (the guy who coordinated research at my school didn't have any projects when I emailed him so I just emailed some attendings somewhere else and got on projects there). As a result, I don't really have much of a relationship between the IR faculty at my institution. Would it be necessary (or advisable) to get rec letters from my home institution? Also, generally how many rec letters are recommended?

I can't speak for every PD, but not having an IR letter from your home institution could potentially raise some red flags, especially if you have IR letters from outside departments. Doing most of your research w/other IR institutions isn't an issue at all, some IR departments don't have a robust research presence and PDs understand that. Good news is you're only an M2 and have plenty of time to develop a great relationship with IR attendings at your school, particularly if you choose to do an IR elective M3 year (which I would recommend).

Reactions: 1 user
Just do an IR rotation at your school. I didnt have any letters at all when i started M2...

Members don't see this ad :)
Related - how deadly is it to apply without IR letters?

I’m a fourth year student planning to apply DR/IR. I had no IR exposure at my school (we have no IR faculty), and no IR exposure at my third year clinical site as my hospital does not have interventional radiology services. My IR rotation, which I obtained through VSAS, is five weeks away. I am concerned that with the escalating number of COVID cases, that hospitals will kick visiting students out again like they did last year and I will lose my rotation. Obviously, I won’t have a single IR letter if this happens.

I will have two DR letters, a surgery letter, an IM letter, and a strong FM letter (which I wrote, so I know what’s in it) for sure. Would it even be worth applying IR if this is all I have?

Related - how deadly is it to apply without IR letters?

I’m a fourth year student planning to apply DR/IR. I had no IR exposure at my school (we have no IR faculty), and no IR exposure at my third year clinical site as my hospital does not have interventional radiology services. My IR rotation, which I obtained through VSAS, is five weeks away. I am concerned that with the escalating number of COVID cases, that hospitals will kick visiting students out again like they did last year and I will lose my rotation. Obviously, I won’t have a single IR letter if this happens.

I will have two DR letters, a surgery letter, an IM letter, and a strong FM letter (which I wrote, so I know what’s in it) for sure. Would it even be worth applying IR if this is all I have?
Of course it's worth it and worst case is that you do ESIR. It's absolutely not the end of the world. I cannot comment on how IR programs view the need for an IR letter but I can say with certainty that you must show that you know what you are getting into and understand what IR is and is not to have a shot regardless of having an IR LOR anyways.

@NecrotizingFasciitis did you see anything about this last year?

Reactions: 1 user