Reasons why we might get into trouble with BoP and/or DEA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hye345

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, this is something I've always wondered about, especially regarding controlled substances. On the one hand, I know that for pharmacies in general, doing stuff like constantly ordering large amount of C2's, ordering specific manufacturers, not properly filling out triplicate forms, etc. can put a pharmacy on the naughty list, and lead to a visit. However, as far as individual pharmacists, what are some reasons we might get in trouble regarding controlled substances?

Aside from the obvious, that is, a patient suing us due to direct harm, when would the DEA and/or BoP come after us? With regards to filling certain combos/doses, etc, I've heard some pharmacists say that as long as we call Dr and clarify/document, then we are in the clear (legally); others I've met are much more strict: don't matter if Dr is aware/ok'ed it, patient's been on it for years, being monitored, has tried/failed other alternatives, etc... if we fill it, and something goes wrong, then we are just as culpable.

I imagine the truth lies somewhere in between, but I'm curious if anyone here has had any experience in the matter: would the regulatory agencies ever go after individual pharmacists over one single risky rx/combo that you filled but forgot to document, or is it more like they make a routine visit, look at randomly chosen prescriptions that were filled in the past, and find issues with it?

Members don't see this ad.

How do pharmacists lose their license?

Doubtful any Board at present has the resources to prospectively investigate anyone that's not reported or part of the routine inspections. Certainly not CA.

Lawsuits count (they are part of statistics present about a license in most states), but there may never be a Board investigation.

I do have regulatory experience with the DEA Field Offices and even the Central, and while they most of the agents are MMPI Pd-positive thugs, they rarely have enough brains to blow their nose without their analytic divisions who are too concerned with trafficking logistics to go after individual practitioners. Any exceptions, particularly those who test or suspect are on the K scale, you suspect them to either be on the take or a fast-track to SAC.

But then again, anger the wrong people, kill the wrong child (especially if it's a LEO kid), and doesn't matter what the law says, they'll find something to burn you with.

Reactions: 1 user