Reapplication and what to change or keep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Integra96

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This application cycle isn't quite done yet, but I'm still thinking of the next round just to be prepared.

I'm planning on applying to some different schools this time, but also some of the same schools I applied to this year. Is it OK to use the exact same personal statement? I think it's a good P.S., but will schools that see it a second time just bust out laughing that I didn't change it?

Also, should I get all new L.O.R.'s or use the old ones and get some new ones on top of that? I haven't been able to get any answers on this matter!

Finally, I think my GPA/MCAT/EC's are pretty good, but would it help at all to get some more medical experience, or is that just an irrelevant waste of time that schools won't notice?

Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Call the schools to see exactly what they want improved on your application. This helped me out a lot.

As for the Personal Statement, I used the exact same personal statement that I did the year before.

As for LOR's, I got a couple of new ones from physicians (I had none the year before).

i changed a few paragraphs of my ps because i thought it could be improved.

some of my lor's were old and some were new. if they're good, it shouldn't matter.

more medical experience is never a waste! if your stats and ec's are good, what's holding you back this cycle? i agree with the poster above that you should contact the schools to see why you were not accepted (supposing that you were not, of course). if it's timing, then reapply early (meaning june).

good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it's timing that's holding me back so far. I just didn't have a chance to apply as early as I would have liked combined with general inexperience with the application process. Thanks for the replies.

Apply to DO schools as well just in case.

i would definitely change your PS.. maybe not totally, but at least revise it. thats pretty much all the adcoms have to see what you are really like, in your own words, so it needs to be as good as you can make it! i rewrote mine for this app cycle, and changed the theme completely. and i revised it 800 milllion times. i dont think the adcoms will remember your PS from last year, but still... you can always make it better!
i only got 1 new LOR for this cycle. and i had an old one from my boss re-written b/c he wrote the first one after i was working for 4 months, the second was after 1.5 years of work, i felt he could better comment on my skills...
there are a bunch of little things you can do to make your app better... like re-write the experience descriptions and stuff... and hopefully you wont have to do this again! good luck!!!

I think it's important to change the personal statement. I mean, if you've got nothing new to say, how are they going to know what you've done to become a more attractive applicant?

If you think your personal statement is strong, I would change some parts of it but keep the overall theme. I was told by a director of admissions so I would say it is reliable advice. I was also told that for reapplicants they compare the two applications to see what has changed, whether it be better LORs, more activities with depth (research, volunteering, etc.), or better interview evaluations. I also think that if you have decent stats applying early making all the difference. Well that's just my two cents, best of luck!

Originally posted by Monkeyguts
Call the schools to see exactly what they want improved on your application. This helped me out a lot.

Good advice. This is what I did and it helped me tremendously. They might tell you that you were lacking clinical experience compared to other applicants or something like that. Then you know what to work on. Plus it shows interest and lets them learn your name for next year.

Originally posted by Slickness
Apply to DO schools as well just in case.

Okay, I hear this ALL too often. Aren't they completely different? Sure, the overall purpose is the same, but aren't the methods different?

To what methods are you referring? Is it learning OMT? Basically the biomed sciences are the same. What I think differs is that the education from day one focuses on the patient because of the philosophy of osteopathic medicine. This is what attracted me to DO. I know others will beg to differ but I haven't started school yet and this is what I look forward to.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think your basic sciences along with your OMT classes as well try to incorporate concepts into patient care and assessment. Communication skills are honed early on in intro to Clinical medicine courses as well. I'd need some osteopathic medical students to chime in their opinions...

It has been through my experiences in undergrad and beyond that many people only think of applying to allopathic schools...There are various reasons for this of course but some have not even thought about osteopathic medicine or have done any research on the philosophy. A friend of mine has applied to MD schools twice with only one interview invite and now has thought of applying to DO schools. My advice would be to research medicine in all aspects - both osteopathic and allopathic. Just my $0.02.