Reapplicant Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rolfpeter

Reaction score
1st time reapplicant.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It was your complete lack of physician shadowing and only clinical exposure with a DDS that resulted in your poor application cycle.
Also several of your schools were state public schools(UCSD, UCI, Minnesota) that admit few non residents with no connection to the state. Rush expects thousands of clinical and non clinical volunteering hours.
Before you reapply you need to accumulate 50 hours of in person shadowing, including primary care). You also need 200+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact (hospice is good).
When you reapply with those hours I suggest these schools:
U Michigan
Michigan State
Wayne State
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Toledo
Carle
Medical College Wisconsin
Vermont
Tufts
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
New York Medical College
Albany
Jefferson
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
TCU
Cincinnati

Reactions: 1 user
You lack substantive face to face community service that doesn't involve education. You need to show your service orientation such as food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, or housing resources. At least 150 hours.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for the advice. I’ve already started more volunteering and shadowing opportunities in the past week and will hopefully get close enough to the number of hours needed to consider a reapplication this year. Should I be worried about the lack of consistency in my ECs, with adding a few key ones only months before the application cycle starts? Or is it most important to get the hours and experiences so I can talk about them in detail for secondaries and potentially interviews.

What you have is what you have. Sure it would be better but that's up to you to delay reapplying so your next application is significantly better. Understand the numbers we noted are minimum thresholds.

Reactions: 1 user