Realistically what are my chances of matching in IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocZafon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a US-IMG, I graduated in 2018 USMLE: Step 1 236, Step 2 CK 228 and I'm getting my score report for CS tomorrow. I want to prepare for the worst because I messed up three cases.
I've done a year of research in the US, have several poster presentations and one journal publication and my US clinical experience consists of several observerships.
If I were to fail CS, what are my chances of matching in IM with a low CK and a CS retake if I do another year of research?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
Even though you have a lower CK score compared to your Step 1, I think you have a good chance of matching into IM. The good things are your research experience and solid Step 1 score. The things that will hurt are you CK and IMG status. Hopefully you pass CS; I'm not sure how badly you did on those few, but assuming your English is good and you are a good communicator with strong clinical skills and knowledge, I think you should have done fine. I know that US residencies can easily filter out those who do not pass a Step exam on the first try.
Good luck, and if you know this is for you, keep working for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there,
Even though you have a lower CK score compared to your Step 1, I think you have a good chance of matching into IM. The good things are your research experience and solid Step 1 score. The things that will hurt are you CK and IMG status. Hopefully you pass CS; I'm not sure how badly you did on those few, but assuming your English is good and you are a good communicator with strong clinical skills and knowledge, I think you should have done fine. I know that US residencies can easily filter out those who do not pass a Step exam on the first try.
Good luck, and if you know this is for you, keep working for it.
Thanks so much for the encouraging words! I also wish you all the best of luck for the future.