Reading Comprehension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edkNARF

A is A
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just started studying for the DAT, and I am noticing that I am most afraid of the RC section. I am confident that with a few months of practice, I will be well prepared for all the sections of the DAT except RC! To all those who have taken the DAT: What did you do to prepare for this section? What do you think is the best wat to prepare? Did you read the entire passage, or just go back after you read the questions? I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally think it is a mistake to read the whole passage. It was recommended to me and I recommend it to you:

Read the topic sentences of each paragragh. The topic sentece tells you what is in the paragragh---that is all you need to know. Whether you you read the whole passage or not, most likely you will have to go back and look for the answer---you may feel you "remember" what you read but you will nevertheless feel inclined to do the inevitable---go back and make sure. So I recommend only reading the topic sentences. I previously posted that you should take note of things like this as you read:
-Paragragh one is on diagnosis
-Paragragh two is on symptoms

Keep thoughts like that in the back of your mind as you approach each qustions stem, and I feel that one-by-one you will be able to tackle each question methodically and accuratley.

-I think it is important to weigh the potential costs and benefits of reading vs. not reading the whole passage:

By reading the whole passage you limit yourself to minimal time to basically do the inevitable, so you are simply being redundant.

By reading the topic sentence as a way of mapping the passage you award yourself at least 1 min per question which is a great thing. Extra time is always good!!!;)

As you see the focus here is on time. The more time you have, then the more time you have to THINK. Read the pasage as a scientist does an abstract and not as if it were a novel. Focus on key words in question stems and then recognize whether the "keyword" is talking about ---say---"symptoms", and you know right where to look. I hope this method works. It will take practice, and no matter what you do try not to get overly discouraged---I'm sure you will do just fine :)

-Richard

Reactions: 1 user
One of the best secrets I ever learned about Reading Comprehension is to first look at the source of the article. The source reveals the author and title of the article. The title alone can you tell you so much about the article that it's hilarious. For example, article titles may be: "How naturalists are frauds." So you immediately know the article is going to diss naturalists. You have a frame of reference when you begin reading. That helped me a lot on the MCAT.