Read this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KY2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The university of Kentucky requires that between the 3rd and 4th years of dental school 6 wks minimum of externships be completed. Previously you could do them however you want. You could spend the time in a general dentists office or go visit residency programs (OMS, Ortho, whatever). Starting next summer (2006) 4 weeks must be spent in general practice in an underserved area (not Lexington or Louisville) in kentucky. Starting in 2007 6 wks must be spent in a general practice externship. Since the school only gives the students 8 wks off between the 3rd and 4th year counting externships, you will not be able to participate in a specialty externship unless you use your 2 wks of vacation. For those of you who want to specialize you should know that externships in your chosen specialty are very important for admission, right under grades and board scores. Some programs actualy place externships above the other two. Just thought you should know.

Members don't see this ad.

At least your school gives you time off for externships. We have to schedule ours around patients. Is the underserved thing to fulfill a grant the school got? We have a new requirement of so many days in an underserved area too.

When i did my externships my school didn't give us "time " to go abroad. I had to go during my summer holidays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who covers costs to travel hotel etc? In any event there probably is some traveling involved. Dude that sucks!

That sounds pretty good to me. UCLA gives no extra time to do externships. I spent my summer vacation doing an externship. I'll be doing the same with winter vacation. In fact, we have to get approval from student affairs to take time off from clinic to do an externship.

My school already mandated us to rotate to different hospital GPR's one day a week for 5-6 months in our 4th year. I really didnt learn too much from it, and the residents at the hospital I went to was not the brightest tool in the shed. One in particular did not know the difference between a spreader and a finger spreader. Another was belligerent and kept on saying my dental school sucked.

In 3rd year, we also had a mandatory 1 month physical diagnosis rotation at various oms programs (this was essentially an externship).

Carolina requires two 4-week long externships (lone hospital-based, one community-based) after 3rd year as part of our graduation requirements. Usually the rotations are done one each during the end of summer semester and then during the four week break before the 4th year fall semester begins. We have to pay our own travel/board/etc (which was pricey for those goin to Alaska, Australia, etc). That all said, they were both good experiences. And I do believe they were in some way associated with a grant the school received.

If we finish clinic requirements early 4th year, we are also able to do additional externships/rotations until graduation if we prefer that over staying in the student clinics.

Doggie said:
My school already mandated us to rotate to different hospital GPR's one day a week for 5-6 months in our 4th year. I really didnt learn too much from it, and the residents at the hospital I went to was not the brightest tool in the shed. One in particular did not know the difference between a spreader and a finger spreader. Another was belligerent and kept on saying my dental school sucked.

:eek: Ouch doggie, that hurts!

griffin04 said:
:eek: Ouch doggie, that hurts!

hehe......dont worry. It's not you nor is it jonathon. :)