Re:Couple's match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gluteus maximus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I had a few questions about the couple's match. Does it carry any advantage over regular single's match (if we were to apply as singles). During the whole process of applications and interviews and the match, when exactly should we let the programs know about our application as a couple (doing so is it to our advantage or disadvantage?).
Thanks,
GM

Members don't see this ad.

I did not couples match, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I do, however, have friends you went through the couples match.

It is generally considered harder to couples match. The advantage is that you and your significant other can guarantee being in the same geographical area. However, this means that to go there, you both must match there...harder than only one of you matching there.

I don't think you have to tell programs anything. The couples match has to do with how you enter you list into the NRMP database. You still apply and interview the same as everyone else. Then, when it comes time to put in the rank list, you and your significant other put in a joint list, linking programs you are interested with programs they are interested in. So, if you wanted to go to NYC, your list might look like:
YOU/OTHER
1) Columbia/Columbia
2) Columbia/NYU
3) NYU/Columbia
4) Cornell/NYU
etc...

Hope this makes sense. Good luck.

Thanks Brewster,
I was not so much worried about the basics of couples match as I was about letting programs know of our decision and using it to our advantage.
GM

Programs do know that you're applying as a couple, at least programs to which both of you apply will know. Others in the region to which only one is applying might not, not sure on that... some friends who couples-matched this year were actually interviewed as a couple by more than one program.

Whether it counts for you, against you, or doesn't matter at all I think is very dependent on the strength of both of your applications, as well as on the competitiveness of both your specialty of choice and the particular program. If one of you is really stellar it could help the other, but conversely, if one of you is not so competitive, it could be a hindrance. If you both look fantastic on paper it could be great because the program gets a 'two-fer' if they rank you (plural) highly.

But, like Brewster, I've heard the CW that couples matching is generally considered tougher than matching singly... not sure if this is due to the little bit lower match rate for couples? Which might not be related to them matching as couples, I really have no idea about that...

sorry I'm not more help. good luck.

"Rather than being more difficult than individual matches, as might be expected, couples who match through the NRMP PGY-1 Couples Match actually have about he same match rate as do individuals going through the regualr NRMP Match."

-Iserson's Getting Into A Residency , Kenneth V. Iserson, MD

"In 1994, 92 pecent of couple matched successfully. This rate has remained relatively stable. This percentage is comparable to the match rate of individual applicants and is higher than the chance of two students matching as individuals."

-How to Choose a Medical Specialty , Anita D. Taylor

Originally posted by margaritaboy
"Rather than being more difficult than individual matches, as might be expected, couples who match through the NRMP PGY-1 Couples Match actually have about he same match rate as do individuals going through the regualr NRMP Match."

-Iserson's Getting Into A Residency , Kenneth V. Iserson, MD

"In 1994, 92 pecent of couple matched successfully. This rate has remained relatively stable. This percentage is comparable to the match rate of individual applicants and is higher than the chance of two students matching as individuals."

-How to Choose a Medical Specialty , Anita D. Taylor

Just wanted to point out that it is not only a matter of matching, but of matching at one's most desired residency (whatever that may be).

Not that this should discourage anyone from couples matching. I know people who matched very well as couples and now they know they will be in the same city.