rating of residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Star

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of the top tier and mid tier residency programs in psych? Is there a website that lists all the programs, number of applicants and how strong of an applicant you need to be in order to match?

Members don't see this ad.

I think U.S. News had a listing of psychiatry residency programs. Unfortunately, they don't post this information on-line, as they're trying to make some coin by making people buy the book for $10.

Actually I don't think that they actually list residency programs. They list the "best hospitals" in each specialty, and it is available online. I don't know how well it correlates with residencies, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the correlation coefficient is around 0.83. Just kidding.

If the hospital is ranked highly, I would imagine that the residency program is pretty good.

rxg16, can you provide the link to those rankings? I wasn't able to find them on-line.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the USNews rankings. In 2002, they listed Menninger as one of the top hospitals which closed that very same year.

Talk to your psych program director or department chair...they'll help you out based on you needs/interests. There are a lot of good programs that have different strengths...so it's tough to provide a list of "top" programs.

Great point, Big.