Rate my job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greenbayslacker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
B&B anesthesia, ortho/blocks, healthy peds & OB, no cardiac/trauma/transplant/super sick patients. Northeast about 2 hours from major cities. 6-7 calls/month, 1 weekend/month. Hospital employed W2 with usual benefits. 8 weeks vacation. The work is enjoyable. 50/50 doing solo cases vs CRNA supervision (usually 1:2-1:3 ratio). Averaging ~50h/week.

500-525k/year. Do I need a raise?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What’s your definition of “weekend”? Friday to Monday?
When you say “call” overnight, home call, late call?

Edit:
Define “usual benefits”. Health insurance covered? 401K match?

I don't know, it sounds pretty good from where I'm sitting, especially given how awful everyone says the northeast is.

Reactions: 4 users
B&B anesthesia, ortho/blocks, healthy peds & OB, no cardiac/trauma/transplant/super sick patients. Northeast about 2 hours from major cities. 6-7 calls/month, 1 weekend/month. Hospital employed W2 with usual benefits. 8 weeks vacation. The work is enjoyable. 50/50 doing solo cases vs CRNA supervision (usually 1:2-1:3 ratio). Averaging ~50h/week.

If your call intensity and relationships with surgeons/CRNAs/fellow docs are good and you are happy with the community…. Sounds solid, especially if your community has a reasonable cost of living. That said, it never hurts to ask, but I wouldn’t threaten to leave or to actually leave if the above are true.

Reactions: 1 user
I think for the location and call burden you are underpaid because that's like two a week. But if you are happy then that's what matters.

To me this depends on what the call is like. Leave at 7pm, hardly ever get called in and very early out (9am) next day? Good pay

7-8 in house calls plus an in house weekend and I would say this is average to slightly below average pay

That’s a lot of time commitment even if you’re taking home call. You are being underpaid. Honestly I think almost every one of us are underpaid.

6-7 calls/month? Are the calls busy? Even if these are home calls, still too many.

Let me calculate: consider your undesirable geographic location, you should demand at least 275$/hr on average if 1099.
if 1099:
275x50x44 = 600k.
Calls stipend, 500-1000for weekday, at least 1500 $ for weekend. Let's average 800$ per call.
So call stipend: around 55K
total 655K.

Do you think the W2 benefits (vacation excluded) worth 120-150K?

Members don't see this ad :)
6 to 7 calls in a month is a lot for me. Also the location factor, I think it is under paid. What do you think your hourly rate is after all the benefits add together?

I enjoy the work and the people I work with. Low COL area. Calls are usually light, can be home for dinner. Sounds like I should just be asking for a COL adjustment and that’s it.

Looks pretty decent from the information you've given. Obvious things that may stand out are: being a hospital employee and are you a recruiter....anyways, it's not bad.

Pros:
-500k/year with benefits
-no trauma/super sick pts
-mix of solo/supervision (I personally feel this is the best setup vs. all solos or all supervision)
-8 weeks paid vacation
-work is enjoyable

Cons:
-6-7 calls/month

Honestly I think this is a great gig. You get paid well, good benefits, and most importantly you enjoy your work! The only cons is the number of calls but if the calls aren’t bad/light, it’s not bad at all. Are your calls solo or supervision? In house or home call?

As most have said, your call burden is on the higher side. I guess it depends how bad call is and if you get nice pre- and post-call time off. The call burden would be the only negative for me. I think your pay is about average for the northeast.

What do other jobs in about a 1 hour radius pay? Are they paying more? I don’t think it hurts to ask for a raise. You can frame it around the higher than average call load or a COL adjustment. What do your coworkers think? It might be worth asking as a group…at least as a group of people who have been there a similar amount of time.

50 hours w/ 8 wks off for 500k is underpaid? Ugh where do you work? Are you hiring?
Yeah compared to those of us in CA that total package sounds pretty good albeit with a seemingly high call burden. You're making about 100k more than I am with 4 more weeks of vacation (but with more call).

However, if anywhere else around you is getting paid much more then yeah you're getting underpaid. Plus I agree with the sentiment that we're all basically underpaid at this point and should as a profession be in the 600s.

Yeah compared to those of us in CA that total package sounds pretty good albeit with a seemingly high call burden. You're making about 100k more than I am with 4 more weeks of vacation (but with more call).

However, if anywhere else around you is getting paid much more then yeah you're getting underpaid. Plus I agree with the sentiment that we're all basically underpaid at this point and should as a profession be in the 600s.

Yeah but if you're supervising 1:3 you should be generating more income than md only

Is 8 weeks paid vacation typical for anesthesia gigs? That sounds dreamy coming from private practice pain…

On those 6-7 call days how often do you find yourself working after hours?

Is 8 weeks paid vacation typical for anesthesia gigs? That sounds dreamy coming from private practice pain…

How many weeks do you have? It seems that PP jobs really span from beaten down with no vacation to 8-12+ weeks at your literal leisure.

It honestly doesn’t sound bad. You’re making >$500k as an employee, especially in the north east. Heavier call burden but it’s home call, and if you’re getting post call days off I wouldn’t mind it.

How many weeks do you have? It seems that PP jobs really span from beaten down with no vacation to 8-12+ weeks at your literal leisure.
I run my own clinic and if I’m gone there’s no coverage and no income stream (until recently, as I brought in another doctor). So this year my “vacation” will be unpaid maternity leave woohoo. I could probably afford 6 weeks of vacation.

2hrs away from LA or Bay area you can make the same or more, probably with less calls.

I run my own clinic and if I’m gone there’s no coverage and no income stream (until recently, as I brought in another doctor). So this year my “vacation” will be unpaid maternity leave woohoo. I could probably afford 6 weeks of vacation.
When you're an entrepreneur there is no such thing as a true vacation. But if you can afford the weeks, take the weeks and avoid burnout. Your patients and your employees who depend on you will appreciate that.

Two hours from New York, Boston, Philly is a pretty wide area.

I think call burden is a little high, depends on what you consider as “call”. But you’re also making half a mil.

The money comes from your billings. So "paid vacation" is something of a misnomer imo

I enjoy the work and the people I work with. Low COL area. Calls are usually light, can be home for dinner. Sounds like I should just be asking for a COL adjustment and that’s it.

If I’m home for dinner, I don’t even consider it call…lol. That’s equivalent to 3rd or 4th call where I am.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah it’s rare to be going past 9 PM when on call, but it does happen. Occasionally OB will keep you up all night. When things are quiet though we can take home call.

Post call days off.

That sounds like typical and appropriate numbers for the current market. IMO this is the higher end of employee compensation - likely due to the bad location and the heavy call burden. As I have said on other threads, partner options are likely available to you with higher salary, more vacation, less call, and in a better location - but you have to get to partner.

sounds similar to mine.

525ish. 10 weeks vacay. 50ish hours. same call but ours is a little more chill. no OB and call back is maybe once or twice per year. post call day off. however located in southeast, middle of major metro area.

Reactions: 2 users
sounds similar to mine.

525ish. 10 weeks vacay. 50ish hours. same call but ours is a little more chill. no OB and call back is maybe once or twice per year. post call day off. however located in southeast, middle of major metro area.
Does that number include benefits like retirement contribution?

Does geography factor heavily into this pay? This seems like a good gig, but would've expected higher salaries after reading through comments on other threads (i.e. "any call-taking position should pay over 500k") as this seems to be quite a bit more call than in typical.

call distastefulness = frequency x intensity.

Does that number include benefits like retirement contribution?

no, just salary. though it is an AMC, so retirement matching is pretty pitiful.

1:4 all the time?

1:4 probably 80-90% of the time, otherwise doing own cases. pretty much just b&b stuff. we have peds guys that take care of peds and cardiac guys that take care of hearts/thoracic/most of the vascular. most of my days are ortho and gen surg

why is the work enjoyable?

Pleasant, funny, witty coworkers?

One of our bariatric surgeons-“I used to have dreams. But here I am with you, working on morbidly obese people.”

Another bariatric surgeon-“I sense a disturbance in the Force. How is the relaxation?”

Me-“I will restore balance to the Universe.”

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
why is the work enjoyable?
I genuinely love doing anesthesia. Being able to do it in a medium-stress environment and get paid a lot is essentially the best job I’ve ever had. Our department is also well respected in the hospital meaning everybody gets along and the OR environment is enjoyable.

Reactions: 3 users
I genuinely love doing anesthesia. Being able to do it in a medium-stress environment and get paid a lot is essentially the best job I’ve ever had. Our department is also well respected in the hospital meaning everybody gets along and the OR environment is enjoyable.

I really went into anesthesia because I hated everything else. Tried to treat it like a job but have come to terms with the fact that I actually enjoy coming to work on most days. The longer I stay here, the less stressful it becomes since everybody starts to know everybody. Our department is also well-respected, so it’s a huge plus. Wish the hours were shorter, but hopefully we get hired up.

Reactions: 2 users