Technology RARRRRRRRRRR What's a good MP3 Player?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Dean

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is so damn frustrating

Members don't see this ad.

Dr Dean said:
This is so damn frustrating

Kinda makes you want to scream, doesn't it? Doesn't it?? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
kinetic said:
Kinda makes you want to scream, doesn't it? Doesn't it?? :D

Not anymore little boy. ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

depends what you want. Harddrive based, for upgrading and hacking it, was a must for me!
I went the archos route.
Rios are great.
People will come in here and yell about Ipod, but I refuse to buy any 'player' that won't play MP3's

phatmonky said:
depends what you want. Harddrive based, for upgrading and hacking it, was a must for me!
I went the archos route.
Rios are great.
People will come in here and yell about Ipod, but I refuse to buy any 'player' that won't play MP3's
WTH are you talking about? iPods play mp3s just fine.

with the 20GB ipod out now and its new technology from the ipod mini implemented into it, its a steal for 300bucks. You can use this as a removable harddrive (i have yet to really transfer anything to it besides music because I haven't had the need to) and 20GB is plenty of storage space. As for playing mp3's, i didnt look into how the songs are downloaded from the computer but all my mp3's were transferred to the ipod within a few minutes (1000+ songs) and i havent had any issues with it.

4 Ever said:
As for playing mp3's, i didnt look into how the songs are downloaded from the computer but all my mp3's were transferred to the ipod within a few minutes (1000+ songs) .

[jealous]damn! a couple minutes???[/jealous]

mward04 said:
The beauty of firewire. Songs transfer about 1 per second on my old 500 Mhz iBook. Probably faster with newer macs.

Sessamoid said:
The beauty of firewire. Songs transfer about 1 per second on my old 500 Mhz iBook. Probably faster with newer macs.

<<<----still in the dark

My new laptop (complete with firewire) comes this week :D

mward04 said:

yup... it has USB 2.0 transfer ability as well but a lot of reviews i have read have shown that Firewire is still faster than USB 2.0. But yeah... maybe it really took about 8minutes for transferring. But you figure thats 1000songs at around 3-4MB each so 3500MB (avg) transferred in (say) 10minutes... 1 minute = 100songs transferred. =)

4 ever, could you tell me more about the dock? I noticed that the new 20gb doesn't come with one but the 40 does right?

N1DERL& said:
4 ever, could you tell me more about the dock? I noticed that the new 20gb doesn't come with one but the 40 does right?

The dock is actually quite convenient. If you ever walk into the apple stores, ull notice that all the ipods sit in their docks. This way the docks (which are stuck to the tables) serve as the recharging station as well as a nice holder so the ipods dont fall over the place. At times it can be a pain to have to unplug and plug a few times so you can first charge, and then sync the ipod to your computer but the dock makes it easier. Also, if i remember correctly, if your ipod is in the dock, you can plug the dock into your speakers so you can play songs right off the ipod instead of a computer or something else. My biggest reasoning for getting one is that i dont want my ipod scattered all over my desk and the dock makes it easier to recharge it.

and yes, the 20GB doesnt have the docking station. I suppose its just so people who want the dock think "well for another 50bucks, i can just get the 40GB ipod then". If you dont mind the older 15GB ipod, you could get it for around 200 easily right now. But just get it now before it runs out fast.

Also, to anyone buying the ipod, get the warranty with it. Since the ipod battery pack cannot be taken out and replaced easily (must send it back to apple), if you get the warranty and the battery dies during the (3yr? or 2yr) period, you will get a brand new ipod. So for someone like me, who has the 15GB, if they dont have that, theyll give me whatever is comparable at the time (so maybe a 30GB with the new technology). Its definitely a must buy if you want the ipod

ohand the ipod Mini is slightly smaller than my Sony T616 phone and a little lighter too. The only thing that prevented me from getting it was the smaller harddrive. Having a 15GB removable harddrive that is also an mp3 player is VERY nice

I have heard very good things about the Creative Zen Xtra...more space for less than the Ipod, and it will function like an external hard drive unlike the Dell DJ. If you are going to spend Ipod money though, I would recommend the Iriver. The fact that it plays Ogg files makes it better than any player for the money, IMHO.

do you want a flash one or a hard drive one??? i went with the flash because they are great at the gym...i have the rio cali...love it...dont listen to reviews of people (from serching on net) who say the rio sorfware blows...they do not know how to work a computer if they think that software is difficult to use....my brother has a hard drive mp3 player but those are too bulky for me. You can get a larger memory card and store many songs...i can get 56 on my tiny mp3 player...well worth the investment

btw i understand the frustration....i wanted 2 kill myself while i was reaserching the mp3 players...there are no really good sites that tell you about all of them