RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha YES!! There are three... they really were pretty scary! I found them all in a single bound book at Barnes and Noble for like $5 last Christmas. Of course I had to have them. The creepiest one for me was one about a kid with a bed near the window...but there was this zombie or something that kept getting closer and closer. The stories were scary and the illustrations were even scarier. I love it.

did you read the stories again now? i watched an Are You Afraid of the Dark episode about 3 years ago and i was like wtf was i thinking, this is not scary at all LOL i guess it was my imagination as a little kid!!

Members don't see this ad.

Especially the one from the story where the spider laid eggs on the girls face, but she thought it was a pimple until they hatched...hahah. awesomeness.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
:barf:

Lol anytime anyone talks about spiders on their body it makes me think of those "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" books (best childrens horror books every by the way!) and those creeping drawings. Especially the one from the story where the spider laid eggs on the girls face, but she thought it was a pimple until they hatched...hahah. awesomeness.

You guys know what I'm talking about right?!

Yeah, I remember them too! I think I had all of them along with most of the R.L. Stine books too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't ever laugh as the hearse goes by
For you may be the next to die
They wrap you up in a big white sheet
From your head down to your feet
They put you in a big black box
And cover it up with dirt and rocks
All goes well for about a week
And then the coffin begins to leak

The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out
The worms play pinochle on your snout
They eat your eyes, they eat your nose
They eat the jelly between your toes
One big green worm with rolling eyes
Crawls in your stomach and out your thighs
Your innards turn a slimy green
And pus pours out like whipping cream
You spread it out on a piece of bread
And that's what you eat when you're dead!

By memory 100%, lol.

Haha awesome!

and I'm sorry. I've completely derailed this thread. :oops:

And pus pours out like whipping cream
You spread it out on a piece of bread
And that's what you eat when you're dead!

And this is why for over 30 years I have never put mayonnaise on a sandwich and my stomach turns when someone else does! LOL

Especially the one from the story where the spider laid eggs on the girls face, but she thought it was a pimple until they hatched...hahah. awesomeness.
Reminds me of that story of the lady licking a envelope that had cockroach eggs on it, then later they hatched out of her tongue, where they had settled.

Never did find out whether that was an urban legend or not. Guess I could snopes it...

Edit: Well it's false. ****ing snopes, taking all the fun out of my internets.

Alright guys, bear with me here, I am in one of those states between being furious and heart broken. Last summer around this time I was in a severe head on collision. I missed a semester of school, almost lost my leg, and did not see my foot for 6 months. But after hard work, determination, and a few surgeries, I returned back to school in January. Although it was a tough beginning, I soon got back to close to normal. In order to keep me on my prevet track, I needed to take two summer courses this summer. I am about to finish the first class on Monday. Unfortunately, I went back to the doctor because I have developed this new type of pain. Turns out some rare complication occurred from a previous surgery, and now I need an additional one, meaning I have to cancel my upcoming summer class. I am just caught between being furious and devastated. I thought I was cured, and back on my way, and this is just such a setback for me.

You guys know how there are all those stories about spiders laying eggs in people's ears and whatever?

On Sunday I went out to my garage to get the cat litter scoop so I could scoop the litterboxes, and I came back in and was walking into my bathroom and my left ear felt all weird and tickly and I shook my head and then a god damn spider fell out. I screamed and smashed the freaking thing with the litter scoop and then I told some of my friends about it and they were like LOL U GOT EGGS IN UR EAR and then I was paranoid for like 4 hours about this.

Jerks...

OMG! I'd be pouring vinegar/hot sauce/hydrogen peroxide/whatever in there to kill anything that might be in my ear. SO GROSS!!

Oh man...so much ranting I wish I could do. I just keep repeating in my head the number of weeks I have left at work. Its so much harder to get myself focused to do my job, which is normal. Most people are like this.

The last two weeks I've had almost zero help, which is crazy given my position. I'm running around like an absolute maniac, leaving work late and trying desperately to help everyone do everything they need to get done. The hard part is while most of the time I would "prioritize" I'll have 2 people come ask me to do something - both of which are top priority. So then I have to figure out how to do both at the same time. There's a lot of "You, student who has only been on clinics for 3 weeks - come do this somewhat advanced procedure that you've never done before without any supervision. Do it like this, watch for this, and you should be ok. If something like this happens, yell for me or get a doctor" so I can do #2 top priority item.

And even though I complain, it's not like there's much that CAN be done because we're understaffed. Worse yet, I'm in a mild panic because there's no one to fill my position. Really, I should have someone in training right now and...there's not anyone to train... And it scares me because while I don't have the HARDEST job in the world there's a lot of nuances that need to be learned. If you do things right, everything flows easily. If you don't, it goes to crap and there are cranky doctors to deal with.

Oh and the rant can go on and on, but I'll stop. Because I could REALLY get myself into trouble. Its tough because I do love this job. I just feel like I've been shafted A LOT lately, and as hard as I work I feel like it's not enough. I keep just feeling like everyone's up my butt and around the corner and not giving me even the slightest leniency. I'm doing my job just like I ALWAYS have, but now anything that's not perfect is being look at like "Oh, well, she's being lazy because she's leaving here soon so she doesn't think she needs to perform as well". I hate it. Hate it hate it hate it.

And it doesnt help that my boss is still telling me that vet school is the worst decision I'll ever make and that it's financial suicide and there are so many other things I could do with my life.

Sounds like someone with either A) their own agenda or B) their own issues.
Too bad you can't use a noise cancelling headset to tune them out!

I can't hit a vein this week if my life depended on it. I don't know what's wrong with me, but seriously, this has got to stop. I haven't been able to hit a vein on the first try all week, and I =refuse= to sit there poking around until I get it and torture the poor animal.

this bad streak needs to end already. I've never had so much trouble doing this in my life. And not just one or two animals... every single one. Probably ten before I just started letting one of the other techs do all my blood draws. I've never been incredibly confident when doing it on cats, but this is dogs too. Even shepherds with veins the size of tunnels, where you can see it from across the room. I just have this mental block or something.

And it doesnt help that my boss is still telling me that vet school is the worst decision I'll ever make and that it's financial suicide and there are so many other things I could do with my life.

Does the vet hate his/her job?

Minnerbelle- I feel your pain. I work in a lab too and most of the time its great and the people are mostly great, except for the only other girl in the group. she is very smart and will go far, but she has a bad problem of taking anything you say about any broad political or world issue personally. Everyone can be joking around, as we were this morning, and the sarcasm is just rolling and then its halted by her being offended. And then of course later in the day when she got "offended" again by something I said, I decided to not back down and just debated her. Needless to say it was a heated debate about a sensitive political issue. i want to like this girl, but at the same time I really want to crack her in the teeth. Thank god i'm the animal tech for the lab and not her. When i first started 3 months ago, she said one day about how she had to gas 40 mice (not supposed to gas that many at once), and how she alikened it to a house party because they all start to jump up and down as they gasp for air. I swear I almost hit her, but I was new, so I couldn't. Instead I told her and anyone around me that i was there to make sure the animals received the upmost compassion during the research study (we are working with rabbits) and that nothing like that will happen on my watch and anyone that gets in the way of me and the animals is in for it. She is such a b****. I'm dumbfounded that she has so many friends on the floor. Don't they see that she is just out for herself and is willing to throw anyone under a truck. Man I had her pegged the first day!

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG I'm so sorry goldengal! I know it feels devastating now, but maybe later you'll find that needing to slow down a little to completely recover and take care of yourself will have helped you in the long run. Hope everything heals well this time around!

LondonBliss - aren't those kinds of comments the most infuriating! My boss and I are the primary mouse experimenters in my lab and the b***** postdoc was not allowed to touch the mice for fear of what would happen to the poor mice. One day, I brought a mouse up and I was commenting to a coworker about how adorable they were. The post-doc then goes "ugh, gross. how could you go around saying how cute they are, when they're just mice that you're going to sacrifice? animal experimentation doesn't bother me at all since i don't care at all about nasty animals like that, but I would never be able to experiment on something that I thought was cute"

I just turned to her and gaped my mouth open at her, before turning around and going "awww mousey mousey moos, ish okay. i'm sorry hun, but take a deep deep breath" before knocking the mouse out with iso.

After she brought this up several times, as if i should have applauded her for being so anti-peta, i finally said something along the lines of "i don't think it's productive to demonize animals simply to make yourself feel better. obviously what i do to the mice aren't 'nice,' but that doesn't mean i can't be compassionate." instead, i should have punched her in the face.

LondonBliss - aren't those kinds of comments the most infuriating! My boss and I are the primary mouse experimenters in my lab and the b***** postdoc was not allowed to touch the mice for fear of what would happen to the poor mice. One day, I brought a mouse up and I was commenting to a coworker about how adorable they were. The post-doc then goes "ugh, gross. how could you go around saying how cute they are, when they're just mice that you're going to sacrifice? animal experimentation doesn't bother me at all since i don't care at all about nasty animals like that, but I would never be able to experiment on something that I thought was cute"

I just turned to her and gaped my mouth open at her, before turning around and going "awww mousey mousey moos, ish okay. i'm sorry hun, but take a deep deep breath" before knocking the mouse out with iso.

After she brought this up several times, as if i should have applauded her for being so anti-peta, i finally said something along the lines of "i don't think it's productive to demonize animals simply to make yourself feel better. obviously what i do to the mice aren't 'nice,' but that doesn't mean i can't be compassionate." instead, i should have punched her in the face.

Yes punching would definitely get the point across much better I think, but then we wouldn't get to keep our jobs, even if we were in the right. Your chick just sounds so whacked! I don't know how you don't end up screaming at her. Man i am trying to keep it in most of the time, but the lack of compassion i hear coming out of people's mouths just infuriates me. I'm terrified and excited to start these rabbit experiments. 1. I don't want to screw up and waste a creatures life 2. i feel bad about having to "sacrifice" any animal, but also 3. i am eager for the surgical experience. I just don't get these people who find it so easy to kill a living creature, where did their parents mess up in raising them? Oh i just remembered, after she talked about gassing the mice, i told her to never have children.

My problems today are nothing compared to others i have read on here. my heart goes out to all of you struggling right now. Like my Dad always says, 'it's hard now, but just keep chugging along, and eventually all your hard work and everything you endured will pay off.' Keep up all the good work everyone!:thumbup::)

Alright guys, bear with me here, I am in one of those states between being furious and heart broken. Last summer around this time I was in a severe head on collision. I missed a semester of school, almost lost my leg, and did not see my foot for 6 months. But after hard work, determination, and a few surgeries, I returned back to school in January. Although it was a tough beginning, I soon got back to close to normal. In order to keep me on my prevet track, I needed to take two summer courses this summer. I am about to finish the first class on Monday. Unfortunately, I went back to the doctor because I have developed this new type of pain. Turns out some rare complication occurred from a previous surgery, and now I need an additional one, meaning I have to cancel my upcoming summer class. I am just caught between being furious and devastated. I thought I was cured, and back on my way, and this is just such a setback for me.

:eek: i'm sorry more pain came back! at least you got one class out of the way, right? almost there :) slowly but surely! If you really feel like you're going to be behind with planning your pre-vet things to do before applying you could work on your personal statement! I'm sure with this experience you could come up with a catchy intro and second paragraph!

I worked 9am-5pm at one job and 6pm-12am at my other job... courses for next year were just announced and of course, I'm having problems. I need stats second semester for vet school... in order to fit that, I need to move my anatomy lab. If I move my anatomy lab to the one day that fits, I'll only be taking four courses first semester. I need five in my first semester to graduate and NOTHING FITS. Drugs and Behavior, Buddhism, Public Speaking, psych courses, english courses, math courses... nothing fits!!! The only courses that are Geology and Marine Ecology. They both have labs. There is no way I'm taking four classes with four labs first semester. I was hoping to finally get to take an easy, fun, relaxing course. I blew all my other electives on vet school pre-reqs. Just once, I want to do what everyone else does and take something they don't have to stress out over.

I got an email. Apparently, I received a small scholarship. They tried to send me a letter and it was returned to sender. That explains why my prescription for my hep vaccine didn't show up, because ALL MY MAIL is getting returned. I'm heading for home on Thursday so I have one day to fix this... and I work 11-5 and then I have to spend all tomorrow night packing. I've never had to deal with stuff like this. I guess I'll be getting up early and calling the post office.

The reason why my mom sent me a script is because I'm super busy and the clinic is super far away and I'm usually working. There is 32 000 people in my city and one walk-in clinic. I went last week. I arrived 30 minutes early, was 7th in line and once the clinic opened, I still had to wait and hour and thirty minutes to see the doctor. And she was rude to me. I told her my doctor had sent me a script for Twinrix and she snapped at me. "Why would you pay more for three needles when you only need to take two. You got your hep B shot in elementary, so why do you think you need Twinrix, hmmm?" Woman, I know nothing about vaccines. All I said was that I was going to central america and that my doctor sent me a script for twinrix, which got lost in the mail. No need to snap at me and make me feel like an idiot.

The reason why I'm going home is because my best guy friend wants me to go to a wedding with him. His cousin is marrying a girl who everyone hates. She corrupted my ex-boyfriend. Guess who's going to the wedding? My ex. I haven't seen him in two years. It's incredibly creepy that he's going because 1) it's his ex that's getting married and they didn't end on good terms, 2) his other ex, me, is going, and 3) he thought I cheated on him with my guy friend, which I didn't. It's going to be a drama fest.

All I wanna do is sleep... but I'm worried that my anatomy prof can't accomodate me... and that the post office won't be able to fix my problem... and that my all of my ex's friends will give me a hard time... and that I'm going to go to work and someone is going to guilt me into staying longer, like they did tonight... and that I'll either flunk my GRE's or disappoint the prof that I want to do my honours with because I can't seem to find the time to do both plus work, volunteer and spend time with my boyfriend.

And I accidently took the keys to the molecular lab home with me today and just found out a few minutes ago... I somehow have to get them back to the school by 9am. I don't have a car, I don't have a ride and transit sucks.

That is all.

That felt really good. Now back to thinking positive! I always manage to get through little things like this without falling to pieces.

Reactions: 1 user
Why can't supplemental applications be all one form, and easy to find? I don't mind filling out and mailing in (although electronic would be best..) but when some are mail in, some electronic, some telepathic, etc, it makes me nervous I'm going to miss something :(

Reactions: 1 user
Multiple minor rants.

1.) I have an Indian roommate who is driving me crazy. I try to be nice and calm when I criticize some of her cleaning behaviors (or lack thereof) but it's futile. At first when she moved in, I was being really open to the possibility of cultural differences. Now, I'm fairly convinced that her behaviors have more to do with her privileged upbringing than any other factor. She's a rich, lazy, snobby person with entitlement issues. She literally trashes the house and steals other people's food. I, and at least one other roommate, are not super tidy "neat freaks" and we're both absolutely disgusted with how she lives. Also, the girl can't budget her money to save her life and then she conveniently "forgets" to pay people for the utilities.

I could actually continue the ranting about her but I won't. Too many tales of stupidity and abject laziness. Sometimes I surprise myself with how patient I remain with her, considering I've developed nightmares about burning to death in my room because she frequently leaves food unattended directly on the gas burner.... ON the burner.... no pots.... no pans..... just flame and food joined together. Scares the **** out of me.

2.) I really want a job, but I don't want to waste what's left of my summer working a "pointless" job. I called back a pet store and a vet clinic in the area that I applied to recently, so hopefully something will work out. Otherwise I'll keep calling and harassing them until they give me a straight answer about the availability of the positions. A "yes" or "no" would suffice.

3.) Not really a rant, but I need to get over my "shyness" with the volunteer job I'm working right now. It's an equestrian camp with urban kids and I have a lot of ideas but I suck at delivering my ideas to the camp leaders. It's a small enough group that I don't feel completely powerless or unimportant when it comes to directing crafts and horsemanship activities. I just don't want to offend any of the women running the camp by suggesting that some of their ideas are not appealing to the kids. It's only week two and this is the first year this camp has been offered so I'm sure my caution is fairly unwarranted. It's just my nature to think too much about things.

My dog pooped on the carpet. NBD - disgusting but it happens sometimes cuz she's old..but this time she accidentally squished it when she was getting up. SO, I went and got the carpet cleaner, sprayed it on the spot, and began waiting five minutes before I could clean it up....

Five minutes up, turn around to look at spot. Dog is LAYING in the poop/carpet cleaner spot. argh.

Multiple minor rants.

1.) I have an Indian roommate who is driving me crazy. I try to be nice and calm when I criticize some of her cleaning behaviors (or lack thereof) but it's futile. At first when she moved in, I was being really open to the possibility of cultural differences. Now, I'm fairly convinced that her behaviors have more to do with her privileged upbringing than any other factor. She's a rich, lazy, snobby person with entitlement issues. She literally trashes the house and steals other people's food. I, and at least one other roommate, are not super tidy "neat freaks" and we're both absolutely disgusted with how she lives. Also, the girl can't budget her money to save her life and then she conveniently "forgets" to pay people for the utilities.

I could actually continue the ranting about her but I won't. Too many tales of stupidity and abject laziness. Sometimes I surprise myself with how patient I remain with her, considering I've developed nightmares about burning to death in my room because she frequently leaves food unattended directly on the gas burner.... ON the burner.... no pots.... no pans..... just flame and food joined together. Scares the **** out of me.

2.) I really want a job, but I don't want to waste what's left of my summer working a "pointless" job. I called back a pet store and a vet clinic in the area that I applied to recently, so hopefully something will work out. Otherwise I'll keep calling and harassing them until they give me a straight answer about the availability of the positions. A "yes" or "no" would suffice.

3.) Not really a rant, but I need to get over my "shyness" with the volunteer job I'm working right now. It's an equestrian camp with urban kids and I have a lot of ideas but I suck at delivering my ideas to the camp leaders. It's a small enough group that I don't feel completely powerless or unimportant when it comes to directing crafts and horsemanship activities. I just don't want to offend any of the women running the camp by suggesting that some of their ideas are not appealing to the kids. It's only week two and this is the first year this camp has been offered so I'm sure my caution is fairly unwarranted. It's just my nature to think too much about things.

NOTHING about this post makes me think that you're shy! Haha! And why does your roommate put food directly on the burner? That's just freaking weird if you ask me...

My dog pooped on the carpet. NBD - disgusting but it happens sometimes cuz she's old..but this time she accidentally squished it when she was getting up. SO, I went and got the carpet cleaner, sprayed it on the spot, and began waiting five minutes before I could clean it up....

Five minutes up, turn around to look at spot. Dog is LAYING in the poop/carpet cleaner spot. argh.

hehehe i had a feeling that ending was coming when i read your post. my kitty throws up furballs in places i'll never see. i move a box and there in a tiny hidden spot is a furball all dried up. ewwwyy

Ok mini rant:

I have really, really bad knees. I get them from my mother who had a knee replacement at the age of 40, yes 40. Her mom and her mother's sister also both had knee replacements as well. Bad knees run in the family. When I turned about 14 I realized my knees were really starting to feel stiff/hurting a lot. With the history of autoimmune diseases in my family I was finally able to convince a doctor (at the age of 18) to run an ANA test, which came back positive. Which can indicate autoimmune disease but could have been a fluke as well. So they ran it again, it came back at a better number but still posititve, but the rheumatologist refuses to work up or try to diagnose anything because I simply do not have enough sympotms; instead he told my to take 2 ibuprofen every 2-4 hours as needed for joint pain (which I refuse to do because I like my liver and stomach a little too much). So, this past weekend I went out with friends had a great time, did some dancing (ok a lot of dancing) and now I have a knee that is twice its normal size, has a ton of fluid in it, is slightly painful but mainly just feels like there is an abnormal amount of pressure in it and I can not straighten my leg completely (I have known for a long time that I can not do as much physical activity as other people because this will happen to one or both of my knees, but I like being active and so sometimes I just say **** it and do the fun stuff anyway, and now I am paying the price). It sucks because now I can not walk right on it and so I am putting more weight on my other leg which is now causing that knee to start swelling....and my doctor will basically tell me to take enormous amounts of ibuprofen (still refusing) not only that but I no longer have health insurance because I just turned 22 and was dropped of my parents' health insurance and will not be added back on to it until either September or January (new healthcare bill, I really like it). So, I am stuck with a really swollen knee until my body decides to reduce the swelling on its own (this has happened many times before, it is just a matter of how long it will last this time). I wish I could be like anyone else who goes out has a good time and does not have to worry about joints swelling after having fun. Anyway, rant over. That is all I have to rant about now.

I wish I could be like anyone else who goes out has a good time and does not have to worry about joints swelling after having fun. Anyway, rant over. That is all I have to rant about now.

You and me both. I'm 22, have already had reconstructive knee surgery x2, and am looking at a total replacement within the next 10 years, 15 max.

So I feel your pain!

If you want an herbal supplement that really works, try turmeric. I tried it after a friend insisted it worked wonders on her horse (LOL) and OMG, I'm amazed. It's got major anti-inflamatory properties, and has been working wonders on my knee. It even helps with the arthritis pain. There are articles about it all over the internet.

Beyond that, cold and massage are great. Have you tried wearing a light ace bandage or something, to keep some pressure on the joint? I've found that helps a lot, if I know I'm going to be overexerting, like on a hike or something like that.

You and me both. I'm 22, have already had reconstructive knee surgery x2, and am looking at a total replacement within the next 10 years, 15 max.

So I feel your pain!

If you want an herbal supplement that really works, try turmeric. I tried it after a friend insisted it worked wonders on her horse (LOL) and OMG, I'm amazed. It's got major anti-inflamatory properties, and has been working wonders on my knee. It even helps with the arthritis pain. There are articles about it all over the internet.

Beyond that, cold and massage are great. Have you tried wearing a light ace bandage or something, to keep some pressure on the joint? I've found that helps a lot, if I know I'm going to be overexerting, like on a hike or something like that.

I do the cold, massage, and I have a nice "knee support sleeve" (that is what I call it) that I can pull right over my knee and leave it there. I used to wear it all the time when I was on the bowling team in high school because if I didn't I would have massive problems with my knee. But, I have not worn it in a long time, I pulled it out today and put it on; it seems to be what helps the most because the swelling has started to go away a little. I will have to look into the turmeric; it can't hurt and has to be better than taking enormous amounts of ibuprofen. Thanks for the suggestion. I am hoping I do not end up needing a knee transplant but the doctor mentioned it a few times a few years ago (I stopped going to him about 3 years ago when he told my to take the ridiculously large amounts of ibuprofen and started treating me like a complete idiot claiming nothing is wrong; apparently everyone has knees that are 2-4x the normal size and everyone has multiple positive ANA tests :mad:; I never really liked that doctor since the first day I met him).

I'll rant about something.

Why am I currently dating someone that possesses all of the qualities I despised in my ex-boyfriend of four years?

Look into Cobra for insurance in case they give you bs about pre-existing conditions. might be worth the money. Are you dropped because you aren't technically a student? i could have stayed on my mom's ins. until I am 30 if I continue living at home (I'm 23). even though I am not a student right now, but that may be a florida thing. I did get dropped because they did not get a form that they did not send, and you cannot argue with them. Found cheaper plan anyway.

Multiple minor rants.

I'm slightly offended by this. Maybe it's because I'm Indian. I'm sure you are just super pissed off and annoyed at this person, but it seems like you were trying to unfairly categorize 20-something Indian females. I'll admit I may have been a little spoiled growing up, but I have never been outright rude and disrespectful to anyone I have lived with. I think we should keep racial/ethnic discourse off the table. I understand what you were trying to get at though with living with another person that just seems like they are from another planet, lol.

So, I guess that was my rant for the day. Sorry. :rolleyes:

I'm slightly offended by this. Maybe it's because I'm Indian. I'm sure you are just super pissed off and annoyed at this person, but it seems like you were trying to unfairly categorize 20-something Indian females. I'll admit I may have been a little spoiled growing up, but I have never been outright rude and disrespectful to anyone I have lived with. I think we should keep racial/ethnic discourse off the table. I understand what you were trying to get at though with living with another person that just seems like they are from another planet, lol.

a rant on a rant? brilliant ;)

as I read this thread, I kept thinking, happily, I didn't have anything to contribute. This proposed new law (that I first heard about on npr), however, really gets my blood boiling.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_15352811

breed specific sterilization is yet another form of breed discrimination (it's not the dogs, lawmakers, it's the vast majority of their owners!)

as I read this thread, I kept thinking, happily, I didn't have anything to contribute. This proposed new law (that I first heard about on npr), however, really gets my blood boiling.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_15352811

breed specific sterilization is yet another form of breed discrimination (it's not the dogs, lawmakers, it's the vast majority of their owners!)

That's digusting. Trying to get around the law like that. There's a law in place FOR A REASON.

My rant for the day:

I've been trying to finish up my thesis so I can head off to vet school in the fall. I need to do 3 experiments: 2 are fairly simple and one is more complex. The first two have been done already by a postdoc in the lab (thats a whole 'nother rant, not from this country, doesn't speak english, doesn't understand the experiments she's doing. Just works like a robot to get tons of work done, leaving all the analysis up to the higher ups -- yeah I could get crazy **** loads of work done too if I wasn't designing my own experiments and analyzing the data...anyways)

I have been trying, SINCE JANUARY, to repeat these experiments that she has supposedly done already. They do not work. Her strains do not work the way she says they did. THe new strains I construct do not work the way she says hers originally did. But my bosses won't give up on this! They are certain that it must work this way...and in some ways I understand, this is the type of experiment where you wouldn't see a phenotype unless it was correct, but you can think of a million reasons why you might NOT see the phenotype later. But UGH!!! January people! 6 months of my life trying to do this experiment.

So over the weekend I finally got the experiment to look like she said it did - tested the strains again on Tuesday...now they look just like wild-type. UGH. so I was going to repeat yesterday and what happened?! The building lost power.

Ok. No problem. Like any good research facility we've got back up generators. Back up generators come on....then go off. Then the fire alarm sounds. Apparently the back up generators caught on fire. Fantastic

So now we're outside in the 100oF weather. They keep us out there for 3 hours because now that the back up generators are not on, the RBL-3 (where big bad bugs are kept - tuberculosis, leprosy, bubonic plague etc) locks are not working. So they can't let anyone in the building cause there is no security.

Then they realize that when the electricity does come on, there is going to be a major surge on the system. So they assign one person per floor to be escorted by a guard to unplug every computer or piece of equipment thats not on a surge protector.

Finally at 3pm they gave us 10 min to get our things and get out and go home.

So. all my experiments were ruined...they wouldn't even let us put reagents/mRNA/DNA that was on ice into the freezers.

On top of this I have a week and a half to get these experiments done and submit my thesis to my committee. The writing is going well enough but no way in hell am I going to be able to get these experiments done in time.

what a disaster.

end rant.

Look into Cobra for insurance in case they give you bs about pre-existing conditions. might be worth the money. Are you dropped because you aren't technically a student? i could have stayed on my mom's ins. until I am 30 if I continue living at home (I'm 23). even though I am not a student right now, but that may be a florida thing. I did get dropped because they did not get a form that they did not send, and you cannot argue with them. Found cheaper plan anyway.

For my insurance I was allowed to be on my parents' plan until I turned 22 (school status did not matter) the new healthcare law that was passed changed the age to 26, but the law does not go into effect until September. So my insurance dropped off 30 days after turning 22 (this month). Once the new bill goes into effect I will get it back but the insurance company is having a hard time deciding if they are going to do that in September of if they are going to wait until the next open enrollment in January and put me back on then. :mad: The way the new law is stated waiting until January would be against the law, but I am not going to complain to much. I am probably going to go on Access (free health insurance) until I get put back on my parents' plan. It really is a pain in the butt to switch insurance for a few months...most of the other insurance companies around here are just agreeing to keep the people who just turned 22 insured since the new law is going to go into effect soon...but my insurance company has to be a royal pain in the ass. Ok. End rant number 2.

lol i knew once i read "indian" in the rant someoneeee would be offended, but they clearly state that
Now, I'm fairly convinced that her behaviors have more to do with her privileged upbringing than any other factor.

Should I rant about a rant...about a rant?? lol Why do so many people get offended about the littlest thing when it comes to ethnicity...especially the little things that aren't that big of a deal. Come on, everyone does it a little bit, i even do it with my own ethinicity lol. Sometimes you can just laugh it off because most of the time people aren't really trying to be mean they are just venting. Ironically, what this thread was lol.
This is the second time in a couple days ive seen someone get offended by something really small, the other one was about the vuvuzela being annoying...come on, IT IS annoying. it has nothing to do with "culture" because this thing is very modern. Also, do they really need to be using them during the WHOLE game? even when the players aren't playing!!! i understand a new way to cheer, but there is a difference if the "cheering" has no breaks at all and it sounds like giant bees in the background for the whole game lol

True story, a friend of mine woke up and her ear was bleeding. Turns out a spider crawled in her ear and layed eggs.

True story, a friend of mine woke up and her ear was bleeding. Turns out a spider crawled in her ear and layed eggs.

:eek::scared:

Aaaah! That is so creepy! Great, and there's a spider somewhere in my room...

Not cool dude. Granted, I can always rant about spiders, centipedes, etc..

But this is the kind of stuff that causes me to sleep with a hand/blanket covering my ears on the one too many times i've found a spider on or near my bed right before going to sleep.

I have a rant that's been building up, but I feel it would be too specific/identifiable..so I will just let it fester and hopefully burn out on it's own.

lol i knew once i read "indian" in the rant someoneeee would be offended, but they clearly state that

Should I rant about a rant...about a rant?? lol Why do so many people get offended about the littlest thing when it comes to ethnicity...especially the little things that aren't that big of a deal. Come on, everyone does it a little bit, i even do it with my own ethinicity lol. Sometimes you can just laugh it off because most of the time people aren't really trying to be mean they are just venting. Ironically, what this thread was lol.
This is the second time in a couple days ive seen someone get offended by something really small, the other one was about the vuvuzela being annoying...come on, IT IS annoying. it has nothing to do with "culture" because this thing is very modern. Also, do they really need to be using them during the WHOLE game? even when the players aren't playing!!! i understand a new way to cheer, but there is a difference if the "cheering" has no breaks at all and it sounds like giant bees in the background for the whole game lol

Agreed, people are being a bit oversensitive on this thread. I didn't read much into the Indian roommate post other than that she seems really spoiled and has some odd cooking habits (food directly on the burner??). It didn't seem to me that the poster was implying this was due to the roommate's Indian background. And the vuvuzelas are incredibly annoying. I can't even watch the games with the sound on because they give me awful headaches.

teatime, if you're seriously that sensitive to a random post in an online forum, the world is going to be a horrible place for you.

I love that there's ranting about rants! Haha! What an awesome thread :)

Here's mine:

So I live in downtown Toronto and we're hosting the G20 Summit this weekend, but it seems that the protesters have already started. I was lucky to get the day off work so I got to sleep in BUT THEN I woke up at 6 am to the sound of whistles, vuvuzelas, pots being banged and people chanting "we are the union!" right outside my apartment!!! Now it's 10 hours later and they're still at it! I think they're protesting lost jobs from the hotel across the street that's trying to go green by doing less housekeeping. But really why do me and my 2 elderly cats have to suffer?! This is going to be a looooong weekend. :thumbdown:

Also --- my job involves computer reading/typing all day, so I don't really like to read the long rants/posts by you guys, so I've been having my computer read them out loud for me. I highly recommend it because I think it's about 10 times funnier!!! (especially when my computer says "ugh!")

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I think I am just so ready to put the accident behind me and get on with my life, but hopefully this will only make me stronger. I'm just stressed because I had to postpone my emergency surgery to take my orgo II final on Monday. I am teetering between a B and A, and I want to keep my chemistry record strong. My professor is just insane.... I mean we spend have the class talking about the oil spill (which is interesting), but none of those conversations are ever asked on the tests. Instead she asks information that she did not even go over or is in the book! Ugh.....

I'm sorry about the crappy roommate situation. I had a similar one my first year at college. My boyfriend (of 3 years at the time) went to a university an hour away. So I would go visit him on a weekend, then go home to work at my vet clinic on the other. I get a call from his roommate saying he has been taken to the hospital for emergency surgery. Needless to say I left to go be with him. I get an email the next day from my roommate saying that I was a horrible person AND roommate. That it was MY responsibility to hang out with her and DRIVE HER places. That my boyfriend should not come between our relationship. I honestly tried to talk to her about this and explain that I need to build vet hours, that I wanted to spend time with my boyfriend, and the fact that I ate with her every day during the week. It was to no avail....she said she hated me and she would not speak to me for 3 months. Oh... and we lived in a dorm room.... a room the size of a a normal bedroom for two people who did not talk. Awkward.....

My intention was not to categorize or insult other Indian females as BlackKAT33 pointed out. This roommate being Indian, thus from a different country and culture than me, was just integral to the story. I'm glad her behaviors aren't cultural. The thought of there being a large, well-defined population of people in the world that act and behave like her would be enough to put me in a vegetative coma.

Actually, I'm surprised no one was insulted by the blatant classism in my first rant. :)

Agreed, people are being a bit oversensitive on this thread. I didn't read much into the Indian roommate post other than that she seems really spoiled and has some odd cooking habits (food directly on the burner??). It didn't seem to me that the poster was implying this was due to the roommate's Indian background. And the vuvuzelas are incredibly annoying. I can't even watch the games with the sound on because they give me awful headaches.

Ya, I read Indian, kept reading, and then just thought she was a stuck up, snobby girl like the post explains. Wow, I began typing so many things to follow this up and just kept erasing them. I know I would have pissed someone off with what i wanted to say.
On another note, is it me or does it seem like vets/future vets have a lot of issues, health/emotional? I say that only because i have a few "issues" myself. I feel like we are second to psychologists for having some sort of problem. I have worked with so many vets that either had emotional issues that affected their work or had some sort of health problem. It's kinda funny. I mean, I know a lot of you out there are dealing with terrible things right now (and i'm sorry you are, it sucks), and trust me I have too, but sometimes i have to just sit back and laugh about it, laugh at myself. Vets/prevets, we're kind of a messed up group.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I think I am just so ready to put the accident behind me and get on with my life, but hopefully this will only make me stronger. I'm just stressed because I had to postpone my emergency surgery to take my orgo II final on Monday. I am teetering between a B and A, and I want to keep my chemistry record strong. My professor is just insane.... I mean we spend have the class talking about the oil spill (which is interesting), but none of those conversations are ever asked on the tests. Instead she asks information that she did not even go over or is in the book! Ugh.....

I'm sorry about the crappy roommate situation. I had a similar one my first year at college. My boyfriend (of 3 years at the time) went to a university an hour away. So I would go visit him on a weekend, then go home to work at my vet clinic on the other. I get a call from his roommate saying he has been taken to the hospital for emergency surgery. Needless to say I left to go be with him. I get an email the next day from my roommate saying that I was a horrible person AND roommate. That it was MY responsibility to hang out with her and DRIVE HER places. That my boyfriend should not come between our relationship. I honestly tried to talk to her about this and explain that I need to build vet hours, that I wanted to spend time with my boyfriend, and the fact that I ate with her every day during the week. It was to no avail....she said she hated me and she would not speak to me for 3 months. Oh... and we lived in a dorm room.... a room the size of a a normal bedroom for two people who did not talk. Awkward.....

Goldengal-
I had a friend do the exact same thing to me! We weren't living together, but she got really mad at me that i did not prioritize her in to my life more. I was so shocked to hear the words come out of her mouth. She was actually mad at me for working so much to support myself while in college, instead of spending time with her. Talk about co-dependent! Needless to say, we aren't friends anymore. A friendship should not be so demanding, they really should come easily.

Oh, roommate issues...I can share a roommate story. I became best friends early in the spring semester with a girl I met through a mutual friend. We decided we really wanted to room together, but she wasn't able to get into my dorm because it is one of the newer buildings. So I agreed to move into her dorm.

During this time, I had become good friends with those in her group. I eventually found out that she had been spreading horrible rumors about me and had betrayed some very personal things that I had told her in confidence. In fact, we all had a discussion and found out that she had been lying to or about most of us, and had admitted to trying to sabotage my friendships with the others because she didn't want to 'lose me.' Most of our group decided to cut off contact with her after a huge, ugly confrontation.

The school refused to let me stay in my old dorm and was about to force me to move off campus if I didn't room with her. Eventually, after going to the Residential Life office multiple times and finally sending a huge multiple page email explaining the situation, they let me move into a different dorm (still not mine, but whatever).

Our group still almost completely fragmented because of all the drama, and there has been a lot of trouble from the chain of events this whole thing set in motion.

I guess in retrospect I am rather mad at myself that I let her get to me. I just can't believe that I actually tried to make peace with her and even APOLOGIZE to her. But thankfully, I received a wake up call and realized that not everyone had to like me and sometimes people have their own issues that they put on others. I guess it was a good lesson to learn, and am somewhat thankful I went through it.

co-dependent.

OMG. All this talk about roommates made me HAVE to bring this up.

Freshman year I met this girl down the hall (we'll call her Sarah), and became friends with her and her roommate (We'll call her Mary. We ended up being bffs). We all three decided to live together, but then around christmas Sarah started acting really strangely, and ended up in this whole huge confrontation blow up we hated each other mess. I still lived with Mary sophomore year, and with another girl that was a friend of mine (we'll call her Rachel). About midway through sophomore year RACHEL started acting strangely and ended in a "I guess we aren't really friends anymore" talk.

SO now this year (junior year) I am still living with Mary, but now with her best friend from home, too. When we come back from winter break Mary won't speak to me and decides that "we stopped liking each other somewhere along the way" ????! And she tells me that she's scared of me, because "Usually when you confront a girl with something she just says 'ok, I'm sorry.' but you actually respond with something" (word-for-word. who knew not being a doormat was a bad quality?) So she spends the entirety of spring semester making my life miserable, threatens me with cops and takes away "our" dog (I adopted him, she paid for his puppy shots). The only way I can get him back is to take her to court, which is RIDICULOUS.

The kicker? turns out the other roommates who "went crazy" didn't really. Mary made it up. She called Sarah and left threatening voicemails telling her to move out, she made up a story about how Sarah stole money from her (it was actually the other way around, and she stole money from me this spring, too!), she talked **** about her on the phone while she was in the top bunk, and she convinces everyone in her path to believe her (she is a SCARY good manipulator). So now I have re-established contact with the other two and am on good terms with them, but I have a whole new group of people who hate me because of something my roommate says. I don't even know what she's telling people about me now, but she has been involved in every burned bridge I have made during college, and now that I see her for who she really is I realize that she is the reason and I am un-burning them.

And the codependent part. She wouldn't even sit in our kitchen and eat dinner by herself. She yells at our other roommate to come sit with her. They sit and keep each other company while they POOP.
NO. THANK. YOU.

Once again, hopefully that is coherent. Mother of all roommate stories because it spans three years. I am moving out of our apartment on Sunday and will finally be rid of her forever! :)

OK, edited with fake names :)

Last edited:
Can you do the above story with fake names or something? I have no idea which person is which but I want to know!