Ranking....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pimmar

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a question for you all before I submit my rank list in deciding between your top 2 programs....I really loved them both. Although I can honestly say that my #2 was a program where I felt like I really fit in, I loved the residents and the faculty, and its a University program....the location isn't bad but its not somewhere where I would think of settling down, so any contacts I would make there would not be for practice in that location. Hospital is also dumpy. My #1 choice, I loved the residents and the location, most of the faculty were really nice, but the PD is a flake, strange type of guy....hospital is nice, and location is one where I have always wanted to live in, program is a community program. My #2 has indicated that they are very interested in me, where as my #1 hasn't been so expressive (that is only one faculty member seemed to really like me, but the PD in general hasn't seemed so receptive). So am I making a big mistake in ranking my #2 in the 2nd position? If I could take program 2 and put it in #1's location that would be ideal...
Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

You rank according to your preference. If #1 is your #1 choice put it #1. If they want you, you will match there and be happy. If they don't want you, maybe your #2 will want you and you will match there and be happy. On the other hand, if you put your #2 choice at #1 and your # 2 wants, you you match there....but what if your #1, who you dropped to #2, because you weren't sure if they wanted you, also wants you? You then miss your chance to match at your true #1, because you are trying to guess what the programs will do. Just rank your top choice #1 and let the system work.