Ranked only 1 Prelim, Will I match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PSamP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I only got one prelim interview and ranked it in my associated list together with three ophto programs. My questions here are:

1. What if I don't match to my prelim, but to my advanced, and fail in SOAP as well as the scramble? (I'm only accepting TYs) Will I loose my position?

2. Is it a match violation if there are gen surg prelims avaliable, but I wouldn't want them?

I appreciate your help, and good luck in the match 2016!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So, I only got one prelim interview and ranked it in my associated list together with three ophto programs. My questions here are:

1. What if I don't match to my prelim, but to my advanced, and fail in SOAP as well as the scramble? (I'm only accepting TYs) Will I loose my position?

2. Is it a match violation if there are gen surg prelims avaliable, but I wouldn't want them?

I appreciate your help, and good luck in the match 2016!!
if you don't have an intern year secured by july, then yes, you would lose the advanced spot...if you have matched optho, then you should make damn sure you get something for the intern year...even if that is prelim surg (if optho allows for that).

not sure if you can talk to your optho match and see if they can help.

if you don't have an intern year secured by july, then yes, you would lose the advanced spot...if you have matched optho, then you should make damn sure you get something for the intern year...even if that is prelim surg (if optho allows for that).

not sure if you can talk to your optho match and see if they can help.

Thanks for your quick response! I'm seriously not willing to take prelim surg and only transitional, is that a match violation you think?

You ranked three ophtho programs and one prelim program? You brave bro. Unless you mean you somehow matched into three ophtho programs, for which I'm even more confused.

1. Yes; be willing to do whatever type of program is necessary to keep your ophtho program
2. No. It's not a match violation to make a dumb decision like that. You won't be FORCED into a prelim year if you really don't want to. Of course if you need a surg prelim year to make sure you keep your ophtho spot, taking a surg prelim in the SOAP would be the smart thing to do.

You ranked three ophtho programs and one prelim program? You brave bro. Unless you mean you somehow matched into three ophtho programs, for which I'm even more confused.

1. Yes; be willing to do whatever type of program is necessary to keep your ophtho program
2. No. It's not a match violation to make a dumb decision like that. You won't be FORCED into a prelim year if you really don't want to. Of course if you need a surg prelim year to make sure you keep your ophtho spot, taking a surg prelim in the SOAP would be the smart thing to do.

Thanks for your reply :)
Well ugh, it's both brave and dumb, but seriously, my demands are pretty high and I feel I rather would be without if they're not fulfilled.

You would seriously risk losing your ophtho spot just to avoid doing a prelim IM or surgery year? Bro its 1 year, how lazy can u be.

Reactions: 2 users
Well ugh, it's both brave and dumb, but seriously, my demands are pretty high and I feel I rather would be without if they're not fulfilled.
with only one prelim on your ROL and an absolute need for a prelim spot to keep your optho spot, you really aren't in the position to demand much...i mean sure if you have a choice between accepting a prelim IM or TY spot over a prelim surgery spot, take the TY or prelim IM spot, but if your choice is prelim surgery or nothing...are you really willing to let go of an OPTHO spot to make that stand? why?

Reactions: 1 user

I'm confused. Did you match ophtho? What is this 3 program stuff regarding ophtho you're talking about?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you didn't match into optho already, you do not have an advanced position already. If you're lucky and able to land that one TY you ranked, you can apply the next round for optho again.

Last edited:
As others said--optho matched already (back in January), so your story is a little confusing and it'd help if you clarified it. As far as I know you cannot rank any ophtho programs in the NRMP--it's all in the San Francisco match

To answer your question, unless you're a spectacular candidate and/or applied to a non-competitive TY, then the odds are against you if you ranked only one TY program. And I don't think you can SOAP into a TY--they're so competitive that they fill completely in the match, with the possible exception of TY programs in the middle of nowhere that are more grueling programs.

There's probably less than a 5% chance that you could SOAP into a TY program. Honestly you NEED to consider SOAPing into prelim-IM and prelim-surgery programs. If you want to finish residency, it's not even an option to not consider them. If you don't start a preliminary/TY year July first, you will lose any advanced position you matched into--it's that simple. And you would then most likely never match into ophtho if you have to reapply because of how competitive the field is--optho programs can be very choosy and they are not likely to take (or even interview) someone who not only has a gap year, but actually managed to match into a program and then lost it because they weren't willing to do a prelim-medicine or surgery year.

For the record, there are plenty of pre-lim IM programs that are more cush than many TY programs. Granted, those will all fill in the match, just like any TY program worth going to.

Your questions have already been answered (correctly) above, but I'll add my 2 cents.

1. If you do not obtain a prelim, you will lose your Ophthal spot. If you lose your Ophthal spot, you are very unlikely to ever get another one.
2. Ophthal allows for a TY, Prelim IM, or Prelim GS position for the PGY-1.
3. It's not a match violation to not take a spot, and lose your PGY-2.
4. You seem to be on the verge of making a terrible, terrible mistake. There will be prelim IM and GS positions in SOAP. if you don't match to your TY, you should seriously consider applying for and accepting a prelim IM or GS position. If you don't, any career in Ophthal is over and you'll be applying again next year for another field. And everyone is going to ask you what happened this year. And when you answer "Well, I got an ophthal position but then was only willing to take a TY which I didn't get so now I'm applying to your field" it will not end well.

All of this assumes that you've actually matched to an ophthal position. if not, then it's a very different picture. You might decide not to SOAP into anything and instead take a year of research in ophthal and apply again next year -- that would be a very reasonable decision (although in that case you should have a plan B for next year also if you don't match again).

So, bottom line:

1. If you've matched into ophthal and that's what you want to do, get a prelim year in SOAP if you don't match to your TY. Failing to do so will be the end of your career in ophthal -- you will not just get a "do over" next year.
2. If you no longer want to do ophthal and you've matched, you can resign. Sure, it's a match violation in the SF match but who cares?
3. If you no longer want to do ophthal, then you should consider SOAPing into the field you want (if you don't match to your TY).

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your quick response! I'm seriously not willing to take prelim surg and only transitional, is that a match violation you think?

WTF

Reactions: 1 user
There was a guy with whom I was prelim IM that matched ophtho but no prelims (he scrambled in to our program). If you ever met him, you would know why he didn't get prelim IM or TY. Ours was a program where prelims had to do clinic, and he was such an ***hole, he knew his patients wouldn't show up, and he would go home right from the floor (that is, wouldn't even stop in the clinic to see if anyone was there for him). Do WHATEVER you have to, to keep your ophtho spot. As aProgDirector says, if you bag this one, you are highly unlikely to EVER get another one. To say you don't want to do prelim GS seems incredibly short sighted (and such that your demands for your prelim would scuttle your ENTIRE future is, as has been said on SDN, helmet-grade ******** (because I don't want an infraction)).

That post says that he didn't match radiology
This thread is about prelim
Also, the account is a shared one
This account is no longer shared due to SDN policy - I'm on my own now. I'm the guy wanting to match rads.

Haha, the unexpected happened. I did not match to radiology but would have matched to my prelim I'm sure based on my post-match correspondence with the PD.
This account is no longer shared due to SDN policy - I'm on my own now.
Thanks for helping with the reply, and sorry for my delayed response.[/QUOT
This account is no longer shared due to SDN policy - I'm on my own now.
Thanks for helping with the reply, and sorry for my delayed response. I did not match into radiology but would've matched into my prelim, however I ranked more than 1.
i think he did in the other thread...AMG, >240..no joy...
Yep, see the other thread. I ranked more than one prelim, and I'm sure I would've matched that, but no luck in rads. UGH