Rank list input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cauchy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am currently an M4 interviewing for an ophthalmology residency position. With the lack of away rotations and virtual interviews, It's been somewhat difficult to get a feel for a program's culture and what it really is like to train/work at some of these institutions. I've been reading what I can on SDN, reddit, the spreadsheets, and on programs websites, but wanted to put this out there to see if anyone here had trained or heard anything about the following programs.

Henry Ford
University of Nebraska
UT San Antonio
Texas Tech
Texas A&M

As for what I'm looking for in a program - I'm looking for solid clinical and surgical training, good fellowship placement and support for fellowship applications, more of a collegial rather than a competitive atmosphere and attendings who are interested in teaching. Obviously, I'm not a top tier applicant, so things like prestige, massive research budgets, and big-name attendings are lower on my list. I appreciate any input!

Members don't see this ad.

University of Nebraska: Nice people, great facility that was built recently, small program which translates into more surgery but also more frequent call. Very weak as far as retina is concerned.

Thanks @AQ888 and @Gonio5 for the input! Any other current residents or ophthalmologist input is greatly appreciated as well during this unusual application cycle. If it helps to add a bit more about my professional interests, I do plan on a fellowship. I'm pretty sure I don't want to do pediatrics or plastics at this point, but am open to everything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @AQ888 and @Gonio5 for the input! Any other current residents or ophthalmologist input is greatly appreciated as well during this unusual application cycle. If it helps to add a bit more about my professional interests, I do plan on a fellowship. I'm pretty sure I don't want to do pediatrics or plastics at this point, but am open to everything else.
Texas tech is a great place to train. Fellowship match has been more successful than similarly ranked in-state programs. However, more graduating residents choose to do comp when compared to other programs - this speaks to how well the program trains comprehensive ophthalmologists. Call is front-loaded (all primary call is by PGY2, backup call starts PGY3 which is awesome) and probably lighter than the other programs youve listed.

The atmosphere is superb and the chair/PD/other senior faculty are all on the same page and make a solid foundation for the program as a whole.

DM me if you'd like more specifics.

One of my co-fellows a couple years back (top glaucoma fellowship) did his residency at Henry Ford and he possessed wonderful surgical skills, and is now an attending at Henry Ford. Another friend is a PGY2 there and has only said great things about the program.