Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey! Quit pushing all your snow eastward! I have to go to work on Monday whether or not you send us more snow.
Too late! Take it off my hands! :rage:

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
1. This was on the THIRD page. Unacceptable.
2. I know that radiologists are real people and have real responsibilities, but does anyone else picture a 92-year-old grumpy lady named Madge or Margaret when they send off radiographs to be read (looking at you Antech Diagnostics), where she's sitting on a pile of radiographs angrily expressing that "I'll get there when I get there"... or is that just me?

• Haha
1. This was on the THIRD page. Unacceptable.
2. I know that radiologists are real people and have real responsibilities, but does anyone else picture a 92-year-old grumpy lady named Madge or Margaret when they send off radiographs to be read (looking at you Antech Diagnostics), where she's sitting on a pile of radiographs angrily expressing that "I'll get there when I get there"... or is that just me?
translation: she's basically the radiologist embodiment of Roz from Monster's Inc. Complete with angry face and similar glasses on a chain.

Profile_-_Roz.jpg

(jfc that image is massive sorry y'all.)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I picture someone relaxing in their hot tub while simultaneously counting their money and reading cases in Aspen or somewhere else fancy.

Obvs not a radiologist but I do similar stuff and have been working from home due to covid...I assure everyone it’s more like sitting in a chair in my grungy shorts and tshirt while snacking and taking to myself into a microphone headset. With added cursing when you get halfway through dictating your report only to realize it wasn’t recording so you have to do it again. But maybe I’m Roz, who knows haha.

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
talking to myself into a microphone headset. With added cursing when you get halfway through dictating your report only to realize it wasn’t recording so you have to do it again.
You dictate your reports? That makes so much sense but I had never thought about pathologists doing that!

You dictate your reports? That makes so much sense but I had never thought about pathologists doing that!
Yep! We didn’t during residency because boards are typed and the room had like 3-5 people in it making too much background noise, but most people I know in diagnostics dictate. Everyone at my company does. It is SO much more efficient because I can look in the microscope and dictate at the same time.

Edit: We also have integrated macro codes so I can say a code word like “Macro MCT Dog” or “Macro Lipoma” and it’ll pull up my template for a full mast cell report or lipoma report. Then I tweak a couple things if needed so the description or comments matches with what I saw and sign it out. I don’t use macros on every case but I do a lot.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I picture someone relaxing in their hot tub while simultaneously counting their money and reading cases in Aspen or somewhere else fancy.

Obvs not a radiologist but I do similar stuff and have been working from home due to covid...I assure everyone it’s more like sitting in a chair in my grungy shorts and tshirt while snacking and taking to myself into a microphone headset. With added cursing when you get halfway through dictating your report only to realize it wasn’t recording so you have to do it again. But maybe I’m Roz, who knows haha.

It'd be so awesome if you could just chill outside/ in a hot tub or pool, but in reality there's so much equipment needed that you're just in a home office, braless and flawless wearing pj's while sitting in an office chair.

It'd be so awesome if you could just chill outside/ in a hot tub or pool, but in reality there's so much equipment needed that you're just in a home office, braless and flawless wearing pj's while sitting in an office chair.
Also I’ve been told you need a v dark room as a radiologist and I think my parents know a human one who straight up had a room made in his house that is as dark as possible for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
A tribute to all the spicy kitties out there.

• Haha
I don't really know where to put this, but just wanna ask y'all if you received a very unprofessional email correspondence from another student (like rude and using personal attacks) would you report it to anyone or just ignore it?

I don't really know where to put this, but just wanna ask y'all if you received a very unprofessional email correspondence from another student (like rude and using personal attacks) would you report it to anyone or just ignore it?
Not sure what its directed at (not asking either) but imo I'd pry report it-probably Sprunger if school related. If work related maybe Doug. Especially if its breaking conduct code in any form. After going though that certain situation with email stuff in my class regarding that one person I think it's important to address these things early on.

Not sure what its directed at (not asking either) but imo I'd pry report it-probably Sprunger if school related. If work related maybe Doug. Especially if its breaking conduct code in any form. After going though that certain situation with email stuff in my class regarding that one person I think it's important to address these things early on.
Oh yeah. I blocked that one from my memory...
Thank you!

I did and I reported promptly just saying that I could tell they were frustrated but that I thought it was unprofessional. They quickly apologized as did administration and I am still able to work alongside the student with no problem.

Reactions: 2 users
I had something like that happen and spoke to one of our vet social workers about it so they could help me formulate a response. Since it didn't escalate beyond that first email I didn't feel like it was necessary to report it to anyone else.

I had something like that happen and spoke to one of our vet social workers about it so they could help me formulate a response. Since it didn't escalate beyond that first email I didn't feel like it was necessary to report it to anyone else.
That's a great idea. Unfortunately, this is not a first time offense (there was another instance with different classmates just about a week prior, not nearly as bad but still evidence of escalation). I do believe this classmate needs interference

• Care
That's a great idea. Unfortunately, this is not a first time offense (there was another instance with different classmates just about a week prior, not nearly as bad but still evidence of escalation). I do believe this classmate needs interference
Ah ok, didn't realize it wasn't an isolated incident. I agree in that case.

Me panicking that something is very wrong with my vehicle because it's making a lot of scary noise on turns.

The mechanic: It was in 4wd.

I am relieved but so confused. Don't know how it got into to 4wd or why that caused so much noise though. Cars are weird. I'm gonna stick to treating animals.

• Care
Just wondering ... because vetties treat many different patients in their careers:

Have you ever been downright fearful or seriously alarmed by a patient in clinical practice that had not yet been safely restained or sedated (e.g., you encountered a horse that wouldn't stop wildly kicking in its stall, or an agitated bird with a sharp beak, or a frightened venomous snake, or a domestic pet that was growling, spitting and showing its fangs)?

Just wondering ... because vetties treat many different patients in their careers:

Have you ever been downright fearful or seriously alarmed by a patient in clinical practice that had not yet been safely restained or sedated (e.g., you encountered a horse that wouldn't stop wildly kicking in its stall, or an agitated bird with a sharp beak, or a frightened venomous snake, or a domestic pet that was growling, spitting and showing its fangs)?
I think it happens to everyone in some way or another. When I was a pre-vet tech employee I was asked to get a giant Neopolitan Mastiff out of a wire crate (because she didn’t fit in the regular cages) to anesthetize. I didn’t even get the door open and the dog lunged at me and moved the wire crate towards me. It was very scary and the practice owner ended up handling the dog the whole time she was there for her surgical artificial insemination (because we obviously need to breed the aggressive dog ugh). As an intern a cat with a history of neurologic disease bit me on the arm with no warning. I refused to see the patient again when I was on the neuro service. My friend was in a field and got chased by a rabid cow. Luckily now there’s more and more of a push for fear free (for the animal) handling processes, especially among newer grads. We’re hopefully moving away from grabbing scared cats by the scruff of the neck. We try giving medications before appointments to relieve anxiety and sedate so we don’t have to forcefully restrain pets. You do still get aggressive patients in and must always be on your toes, but we’re becoming better (in my opinion) and using chemical restraint more and more to make things safer for both the people and the animals.

Yes. There's been a giant uptick in very aggressive dogs and owners that don't see the problem. I'm talking lunging, snapping, snarling and the owners are also afraid but still don't think it is a big deal. Getting the owner to agree to sedate can be a giant fight. Though I make it simple "we either sedate your dog or the door is over there and you can find someone else to see Cujo."

I've had to use a syringe pole usually reserved for wildlife to sedate at least one dog.

Honestly this was probably a top 3 reason for my wanting out of clinical medicine. I was legitimately worried about my safety on a daily basis.

Reactions: 4 users
My worst bites have both been from birds...I did have a close call with a Rhodesian ridgeback once though. I am very quick to tell people with aggressive creatures that they can either pay for sedation that day, or go home and come back with anti-anxiety meds on board another day. It's just not worth the stress and potential physical harm for everyone involved, including the animal.

• Wow

With my line of work I've definitely run into my fair share of animals that are simply downright dangerous. The most aggressive dog I've ever handled was attempting to maul people at all times unless he was literally anesthetized. He was originally taken after some police did a child welfare check on the home he lived in and the dog bit a police officer and dragged her ten feet across the yard despite being tased twice and maced. She was lucky to get out of it with a severe bite to the arm - I think if it had been a layperson who wasn't armed that he would have hospitalized them easily if not killed them outright. That dog lived with a toddler and I am absolutely astounded that that child survived living with that animal in the home.

I am a big believer in all forms of appropriate restraint and refuse to see any animals that I think could even remotely be a danger. It is unfair to the animal, the staff, and myself to force all parties into a dangerous situation.

Reactions: 5 users
My worst bites have both been from birds...I did have a close call with a Rhodesian ridgeback once though. I am very quick to tell people with aggressive creatures that they can either pay for sedation that day, or go home and come back with anti-anxiety meds on board another day. It's just not worth the stress and potential physical harm for everyone involved, including the animal.
Yup. I see aggressive animals. Actually I've got several clients who come specifically to see me with their aggressive dogs. But they come with anxiety drugs on board, muzzle on face and get a butt with some DKT shortly upon arrival.

Had not one mare, but two on equine so aggressive students were not to handle them. After one lost her foal, she turned back to normal. But the other attacked our 6 foot 5 250 pound ripped therio professor with intent to harm. Anyone who entered her stalled entered with a buddy who was armed with the whip or the twitch handle. She tricked you into thinking she was sedated.

• Wow

One of my own cats is a problem child. She gets 300mg of gabapentin before her appointments, which slows her down enough so that I can restrain her for about 30 seconds, long enough to get her vaccinated. If we have to do any more than that, she gets DKT in the butt and takes a nap.

We just had a cat in ER today that even swatted at the owner through his backpack carrier. We couldn’t touch him until he was knocked out with some alfaxalone, which we had to jab through the mesh holes on his backpack while someone else bothered his front end to distract him long enough to get the alfax intra-cat. He promptly got a catheter with a long line attached as an “oh ****” line to give more drugs.

We just had a cat in ER today that even swatted at the owner through his backpack carrier. We couldn’t touch him until he was knocked out with some alfaxalone, which we had to jab through the mesh holes on his backpack while someone else bothered his front end to distract him long enough to get the alfax intra-cat. He promptly got a catheter with a long line attached as an “oh ****” line to give more drugs.
Oh hey we had one of those when I was on ER. And he was still bad even while in respiratory distress :lame:

I had a dog my last shift that scared me more than a patient has in a long time. Large dog, lunging with intent to harm, absolutely zero warning with any body language. Zero to 1,000 in a split second. Kudos to the owner for being responsible and giving a heads up because I 100% would have been bit otherwise and I suspect it would have been a bad bite.

Oh yeah we had one of these. Hepatic lipidosis cat. He got Alfaxed down through an extension line twice daily to get a TPR/examined/procedures done.

Was doing better, got discharged, got alfaxed down one last time and put in his carrier to go home just in time to decide to die in his kennel on the way out the door. Pretty sure he did it just as one last “FU” to us.

• Wow
Oh hey we had one of those when I was on ER. And he was still bad even while in respiratory distress :lame:

HA WHAT A COINCIDENCE. That’s exactly what this one came in for 🙃
The one time I’ve really been bitten by a cat, it was a crunchy oldie here for severe respiratory distress secondary to likely HCM. Owners elected to euthanize. He was doing great with handling until my tech got the catheter in the vein. Suddenly flipped out, and he bit my forearm where I was holding his leg for the catheter. I made the tech finish the tape job with his teeth in my arm. He was fine again after that, just had to try to take someone out with him on his way out. I have 4 little puncture scars to remember him by.

• Care
It feels like I'm a magnet for dangerous animals right now. I have a cat who bites and swats any chance it gets if you touch it. I also got a dog who is dangerously aggressive and lunges. Cant do anything with it without drugs.

• Care
With my line of work I've definitely run into my fair share of animals that are simply downright dangerous. The most aggressive dog I've ever handled was attempting to maul people at all times unless he was literally anesthetized. He was originally taken after some police did a child welfare check on the home he lived in and the dog bit a police officer and dragged her ten feet across the yard despite being tased twice and maced. She was lucky to get out of it with a severe bite to the arm - I think if it had been a layperson who wasn't armed that he would have hospitalized them easily if not killed them outright. That dog lived with a toddler and I am absolutely astounded that that child survived living with that animal in the home.

I am a big believer in all forms of appropriate restraint and refuse to see any animals that I think could even remotely be a danger. It is unfair to the animal, the staff, and myself to force all parties into a dangerous situation.

Patients are dangerous too. One tried to bite me on the operating table once!

• Wow
Patients are dangerous too. One tried to bite me on the operating table once!
I may or may not have accidentally bit down on my dental hygienist during an orthodontist appointment. I can say I was extremely sorry.

• Wow
That is horrible, but the mental image of someone just chucking a full grown obese lab or something just has me cackling
It was pretty big, maybe a 50 ish pound labby mutt thing. It was in a clear plastic bag though. Lady tossed that **** like a discus

• Wow
It was pretty big, maybe a 50 ish pound labby mutt thing. It was in a clear plastic bag though. Lady tossed that **** like a discus
What in the heck was the thinking there? Was she like mad at you and blamed you and this was her way of trying to punish you by hitting you with the dog? Or like this was post-pandemic start and she was trying to give you the dog for an autopsy in a bizarre and "socially distanced" manner? I don't even understand.

How funny is it that the vet med peeps are like “wow, sucks she threw a dog at you.” And it takes someone from human med to go “wtf?!? Why did she throw a dog at you?”

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
What in the heck was the thinking there? Was she like mad at you and blamed you and this was her way of trying to punish you by hitting you with the dog? Or like this was post-pandemic start and she was trying to give you the dog for an autopsy in a bizarre and "socially distanced" manner? I don't even understand.
This was a couple years ago, I was leaving my tech job at the shelter and she wanted to drop her dog off for the shelter to be disposed of but it was way outside of normal hours for the shelter to do that and also I've literally never handled that task before. It was also like 8 PM. Told her she needed to come back the next day at regular business hours to our main gate because I couldn't help her and she got pissed and launched the dog at me because apparently I'd be forced to figure out how to intake and cremate it then lol. I dodged it and told her she's not allowed to dump animals living or dead on the property and she needed to pick it up and come back with it the next day. She got more pissed and drove off, I called the cops on her plates, and she got in trouble haha

• Haha
  • Care
Is it sad that I am at the point where if someone tossed me a dead dog and sped away my initial thought would be "at least I don't have to write a patient record for this.":rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Haha