Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I spent $326 at the vet today to have my guinea pig's top incisors removed because they were broken. My mother and brother think I'm insane to have spent that kind of money. I was thinking I had done really well because we got out without having to do rads, trimming or blood work! Plus this area and this hospital are really expensive-I thought I was looking at a minimum of $500 haha. Pig is happily chowing down on food now :) I also really enjoyed watching the whole process!

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent $326 at the vet today to have my guinea pig's top incisors removed because they were broken. My mother and brother think I'm insane to have spent that kind of money. I was thinking I had done really well because we got out without having to do rads, trimming or blood work! Plus this area and this hospital are really expensive-I thought I was looking at a minimum of $500 haha. Pig is happily chowing down on food now :) I also really enjoyed watching the whole process!

I don't think you're crazy at all. I would have done the same if I was able to afford it. And you make me really miss having guinea pigs. I had them when I was younger and loved them. I'll probably adopt one from the humane society I work at after the holidays once I see how much spare money I actually have since my loan repayments start. Totally working on a cover letter for a 2nd part time vet assistant job as I write this since I really need the money.

Just spent way too much time on the oatmeal- thanks a lot bbeventer! :p

I don't think you're crazy at all. I would have done the same if I was able to afford it. .
:thumbup:

I am getting really tired of judgmental people who criticize how much is spent on pets. Why should anyone put a price limit on what they love? It is no one else's business but the person involved. They should just take their preconceived bias and shove it up their *ss!

:thumbup:

I am getting really tired of judgmental people who criticize how much is spent on pets. Why should anyone put a price limit on what they love? It is no one else's business but the person involved. They should just take their preconceived bias and shove it up their *ss!

I feel that if people aren't willing to spend that much on their pets then they probably shouldn't have them in the first place. And even if you don't have money, there's always a way.

When one of my dogs got sick I got (another) credit card, and one time even sold a pair of shoes to pay for his treatments. (Good-bye you fabulous espadrilles....)

I am getting really tired of judgmental people who criticize how much is spent on pets.

Along those lines, I'm getting really tired of judgmental people who criticize kitty cat lovers. I refuse to let "cat lady" be a derogatory term! :mad: I'm a lot like the gal below. Noffin wrong with that! (only font change with no italics, 'cause this is half serious!)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTwcCVajAc[/YOUTUBE]

I feel that if people aren't willing to spend that much on their pets then they probably shouldn't have them in the first place. And even if you don't have money, there's always a way.

When one of my dogs got sick I got (another) credit card, and one time even sold a pair of shoes to pay for his treatments. (Good-bye you fabulous espadrilles....)

i was particularly annoyed because she's otherwise happy and healthy. doesnt she deserve to have proper medical care if she needs it too? idk about you, but i certainly wouldnt wait 2+ weeks to get my teeth looked at if they hurt/were/loose/etc.! i just feel like when i signed up to be responsible for her health and well being, this came along with it and i'm perfectly okay with that!

My cat, Libby, fell ill 2 weeks after I adopted her. After a 3 week battle against a mystery ailment (still have no idea what happened) Libby pulled through and I depleted my dream European trip fund that I had been saving for since I was 13. Friends thought I was crazy and said I should have put her down. I think they are the crazy ones.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat! She is my side kick and my responsibility. I never regret spending money on my animals' health, they are important and deserve the best care.

Along those lines, I'm getting really tired of judgmental people who criticize kitty cat lovers. I refuse to let "cat lady" be a derogatory term! :mad: I'm a lot like the gal below. Noffin wrong with that! (only font change with no italics, 'cause this is half serious!)

[YOUTUBE]mTTwcCVajAc[/YOUTUBE]
You totally got me in trouble with this video... no kidding while watching the beginning my wife came by and asked me if "I wanted to date this girl?"... Um. No. I am just on the pre-vet forum on sdn. Really.

I am guessing this girl is going to be alone for a long time though. Sorry Minnerbelle. Hope it isn't you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You totally got me in trouble with this video... no kidding while watching the beginning my wife came by and asked me if "I wanted to date this girl?"... Um. No. I am just on the pre-vet forum on sdn. Really.

who says sdn isn't an adult friend finder for pre-health professionals?

I am guessing this girl is going to be alone for a long time though. Sorry Minnerbelle. Hope it isn't you.

This is why I'd do just about anything to keep my relationship going with my current bf. See, I'm strange but not delusional. I know that if I let this one go, I WILL end up a lonely spinster for life thanks to a world full of judgy men like you! Unlike me, my bf seems like a perfectly normal person on the outside, but he's really a closeted cat lover himself. He loooves his Bengal to death. Actually, when we started talking, he showed me a picture of his kitty and joked "yes, my buddy here is how I get all the chicks," and I was like, "oooh I bet!" to which he was like "...no... not really..." I'm sure he contemplated ending any casual relationship we had at the time after that, but I think he was secretly flattered deep down inside.

Between the two of us, 1/3 of our conversations revolve around kitty cats, 1/4 around food, 1/4 around sex, and 1/6 around miscellaneous topics. When he talks about how he's saving up for a down payment on a house with a birdy room and aviary + possibly a jungle room for the cats in commutable distance from Boston, it makes me all fuzzy and warm inside. When I start sobbing uncontrollably for half an hour because he says mean things about my baby girl (like over her puking all over his bed), he does get taken aback a bit. I'm sure he'll get used to it after it happens a dozen more times. But overall, he doesn't seem to mind my cat lady tendencies. Definitely my prince charmin.

Yeah, I've fallen off the wagon. God, how I hate vitamins right now. Anyway...

Sorry, Minner, but I gotta give a :thumbup: to SOV on this one. But please know, I understand the 'crazy cat lady' tendency all too well. I come from cat people... My step-father actually widened all of the window sills on the ground floor of the house so that the cats would have comfortable sunning areas and a bird's eye view of the lawn. As for me, my life has pretty much revolved around my fuzzball since I adopted her my first year of grad school 14 years ago. That animal depleted my savings (twice), cost me a trip to Sri Lanka, has ruined more than one thing by bringing up the contents of her stomach, cost me a security deposit, and is the light of my world. I'm that nut job who says 'Sorry I can't stay - my cat needs her medicine'. Hell, I put her on my Christmas card this year. Other people put their kids on theirs; thus, I put my kid on mine. But I digress...

The chick in the video? That poor girl needs a little help... I get that she has a deep love of these animals, and understand completely her passion for wanting to help the 'less fortunate kitty'. But bursting into tears at the sheer thought of them isn't healthy. Cry over her own cat(s)? Sure, no problem. Cry over the great masses? Not good... Then there was her comment about having them in a basket with little bow ties and then stating that she just wanted to roll around with them as she cried... These are not signs of a stable individual. There's 'cat lady crazy', and then there's just plain crazy. I sadly fear there may be hoarding in her future...

Call me naive, but I have to ask...was that eharmony video serious?

This is random so I hope it can go in the random thread!
I want to get my girlfriend an espresso maker for Christmas because she's a crazy coffee person. The problem is that I don't drink coffee and therefore nothing in the reviews means anything to me. (Coffee has foam??)

However, I figure a vet school forum should have a lot of coffee drinkers!
Any thoughts? recommendations? need to stay under $300 here.
Also if you think I should just let her pick and have it not be a surprise I could do that.

This is why I'd do just about anything to keep my relationship going with my current bf. See, I'm strange but not delusional. I know that if I let this one go, I WILL end up a lonely spinster for life thanks to a world full of judgy men like you! Unlike me, my bf seems like a perfectly normal person on the outside, but he's really a closeted cat lover himself. He loooves his Bengal to death. Actually, when we started talking, he showed me a picture of his kitty and joked "yes, my buddy here is how I get all the chicks," and I was like, "oooh I bet!" to which he was like "...no... not really..." I'm sure he contemplated ending any casual relationship we had at the time after that, but I think he was secretly flattered deep down inside.

Between the two of us, 1/3 of our conversations revolve around kitty cats, 1/4 around food, 1/4 around sex, and 1/6 around miscellaneous topics. When he talks about how he's saving up for a down payment on a house with a birdy room and aviary + possibly a jungle room for the cats in commutable distance from Boston, it makes me all fuzzy and warm inside. When I start sobbing uncontrollably for half an hour because he says mean things about my baby girl (like over her puking all over his bed), he does get taken aback a bit. I'm sure he'll get used to it after it happens a dozen more times. But overall, he doesn't seem to mind my cat lady tendencies. Definitely my prince charmin.
Believe me, I am no position to judge anyone for doting on their little fuzzed ones.
Anyone who has come to my house goes away shaking their heads about the number of dog beds, blankets, and toys that are found in EVERY room, not to mention the cat beds, toys, and perches found in many others.

And we moved from one place we were living (it was gorgeous) because there wasn't enough sun for our sun worshipping dog. not to mention picked our house because it had the nicest yard for the dogs.

BUT I wasn't that way when I got engaged.... we were closer to normal back then.

This is random so I hope it can go in the random thread!
I want to get my girlfriend an espresso maker for Christmas because she's a crazy coffee person. The problem is that I don't drink coffee and therefore nothing in the reviews means anything to me. (Coffee has foam??)

However, I figure a vet school forum should have a lot of coffee drinkers!
Any thoughts? recommendations? need to stay under $300 here.
Also if you think I should just let her pick and have it not be a surprise I could do that.

Hey bunnity - you are one awesome SO!! Now, as I've been over caffeinated for well over a decade now, I might be able to help you here... First, yes, there is a 'foam'... Espresso is brewed by blowing air under pressure into the coffee thus creating a thicker brew with a bit of a foamy consistency. Then, you put frothed milk on the top to enhance the flavor (or for the latte lovers, add whipped cream, etc...). My advice is to find out what she would want in a machine before you buy it. Does she want a one or two cup maker? A separate milk foamer? I personally think that Nepresso makes the best machines for the home brewer as they seem to be one of the few that can do the process in a virtually mess free manner. But, given that I don't drink espresso (it's too sweet for me) there may be someone who has better advice for you.

Good luck and happy shopping! :)

Last edited:
Hate on y'all. I'll just be tearing up in the corner all by me-self thinking about cats and their whiskers and their noses.

I'm sorry... Please don't cry alone. :( It would be much better with a kitty in your lap...

Hey bunnity - you are one awesome SO!! Now, as I've been over caffeinated for well over a decade now, I might be able to help you here... First, yes, there is a 'foam'... Espresso is brewed by blowing air under pressure into the coffee thus creating a thicker brew with a bit of a foamy consistency. Then, you put frothed milk on the top to enhance the flavor (or for the latte lovers, add whipped cream, etc...). My advice is to find out what she would want in a machine before you buy it. Does she want a one or two cup maker? A separate milk foamer? I personally think that Nepresso makes the best machines for the home brewer as they seem to be one of the few that can do the process in a virtually mess free manner. But, given that I don't drink espresso (it's too sweet for me) there may be someone who has better advice for you.

Good luck and happy shopping! :)

Thank you!!!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8yhAeORKIk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Just felt like sharing. I thought this was beautiful! :biglove:

Question about Missouri..

I was looking at how they weigh the different parts of the application. What exactly do they mean with this?

Each applicant will receive a score for overall impression that is assigned by admissions committee members and will take into account the academic and non academic characteristics of the applicant. The score for overall impression will constitute 20% of the total score.

Do they look at the application only or is the interview counted also? Or am I missing something else?

I was thinking I had done really well because we got out without having to do rads, trimming or blood work!

They didn't have to do rads? I'm not sure how it works with guinea pigs, but we've definitely received a few referral cases from other hospitals because dental work was done without doing rads and tooth roots hadn't been fully removed (which led to infections, etc). In fact, we had a dog in today for this exact reason. My intention isn't to freak you out or make you worry or anything, but I was just shocked they didn't have to do rads!

I'm right there with you. We had a client in recently who was complaining that she had "bought a healthy dog" and she was "so shocked that [such and such procedure] was going to cost so much" because she was "a poor graduate school student." I wanted to tell her that she shouldn't have adopted a pet if she wasn't expecting to spend money on it and that there is no such thing as a 100% healthy pet, buuuuuuuut I just left it alone. +pity+

Thought I'd post this here since it's not really a full blown rant.

Sooo, I just got involved in a fairly new relationship and we decided to exchange Christmas presents when I go to visit him in Pittsburgh for New Year's. I normally have a lot of difficulty getting presents for people, so I'm definitely having trouble with him. I have ideas, but they're all pretty dorky, and more along the lines of gag gifts I guess. He's apparently ordered something for me already and is just waiting for it to be delivered. He's also being stubborn and not giving me a price range of what he spent.When I ask he says I can spend between $1 and $1,000,000... Maybe it's not right to ask, but I don't want to get him like a $10 gift if he spent wayyy more than that, you know? Any suggestions on ways to brainstorm gift ideas? I've been wracking my brain and continuously come up with silly ideas...

They didn't have to do rads? I'm not sure how it works with guinea pigs, but we've definitely received a few referral cases from other hospitals because dental work was done without doing rads and tooth roots hadn't been fully removed (which led to infections, etc). In fact, we had a dog in today for this exact reason. My intention isn't to freak you out or make you worry or anything, but I was just shocked they didn't have to do rads!

Actually, we left the roots on purpose. For a guinea pig, those incisors are pretty important and although she can get by without them, she will be much happier if they regrow. We leave the roots in hopes that there is nothing wrong with them. Since GPs have hyposodont teeth, they should theoretically regrow quite nicely. We would have done rads to check for damage above the gum line if there wasn't anything with the visible part of the teeth. Since both top incisors were wiggly, it was "easy" to find the source of her eating troubles. Take out the broken parts (but leave the roots) and they hopefully regrow. She's also on antibiotics in hopes of preventing any root infections that may occur while they're still above the gum line. :)

And we moved from one place we were living (it was gorgeous) because there wasn't enough sun for our sun worshipping dog. not to mention picked our house because it had the nicest yard for the dogs.

BUT I wasn't that way when I got engaged.... we were closer to normal back then.

lol, I think I was born into it. My family's little yorkie girl went blind after we moved into a rental house (with so many animals, it was easier to temporarily relocate than to sell the house while occupied). My parents made my sister and her husband continue to rent that 4 br for a year after everyone else moved out, so that she could live out what was left of her life in a familiar environment. This was in the bay area no less! One of the last times my dad ever saw that dog, I remember him holding her and telling her that it's only thanks to her that all 4 of his kids grew up well.

Actually, we left the roots on purpose. For a guinea pig, those incisors are pretty important and although she can get by without them, she will be much happier if they regrow. We leave the roots in hopes that there is nothing wrong with them. Since GPs have hyposodont teeth, they should theoretically regrow quite nicely. We would have done rads to check for damage above the gum line if there wasn't anything with the visible part of the teeth. Since both top incisors were wiggly, it was "easy" to find the source of her eating troubles. Take out the broken parts (but leave the roots) and they hopefully regrow. She's also on antibiotics in hopes of preventing any root infections that may occur while they're still above the gum line. :)

And I have learned something new, awesome! :) I've never worked with GPs before, so my first reaction to reading your original post was "oh crap!" Especially after having that dog in yesterday. Her poor mouth was nasty gross!

Last edited:

Sooo, I just got involved in a fairly new relationship and we decided to exchange Christmas presents when I go to visit him in Pittsburgh for New Year's. I normally have a lot of difficulty getting presents for people, so I'm definitely having trouble with him. I have ideas, but they're all pretty dorky, and more along the lines of gag gifts I guess. He's apparently ordered something for me already and is just waiting for it to be delivered. He's also being stubborn and not giving me a price range of what he spent.When I ask he says I can spend between $1 and $1,000,000... Maybe it's not right to ask, but I don't want to get him like a $10 gift if he spent wayyy more than that, you know? Any suggestions on ways to brainstorm gift ideas? I've been wracking my brain and continuously come up with silly ideas...

hmmm. I struggled with this for my bf too. How long have you been together?
If you are a crafty person, there are a ton of ideas on the web for cool stuff to make for guys. I ended up getting him a bunch of stuff: a flask and a bottle of his favorite booze, a little bonzai tree (he wanted one), beef jerky, and the Game of Thrones book series (all hardcover, shiny, and pretty). I spent a pretty penny on the books, but the other stuff was cheaper. If your guy is a drinker, I love the flask idea. Etsy has a lot of really cool ones. Different flavored jerkies will probably go over really well too. Just some ideas!!! :)

At least he got you something.
My recent ex got me NOTHING for my last three birthdays. Not even a card. *swearword*. Now you see why I broke up with him to court this hot engineer. Anything is better than THAT.

Baking him something or making something home-made is always nice. For my very first ex, I made him a box to put his guitar picks in (bought a clear tackle box, and made a "cover" for it out of cardstock. It had a guitar on it and was made with his favorite colours) and stocked it with picks. I also made him a friendship bracelet (since he was sort of into those things) and I think I got him a DVD as well.

My very second ex, I baked him cookies and bought him a hoody (ALL of this hoodies are so worn and torn that they make him look like a homeless person).

I always shop for the guys in my family off http://www.greatgiftsformen.com/ or http://www.homewetbar.com/ ... this year I got them all key chain breathalyzers hehe :laugh:

[YOUTUBE]mTTwcCVajAc[/YOUTUBE]

I was fighting that term for the longest time, then I finally just gave in. I throw in my crazy cat lady disclaimer to any crazy cat story just to show that I don't really care what they may think :)

- also, a comment on people and money for pet care. I really hate taking calls from people that say their dog has had diarrhea for 2 weeks, has never in its life been to a vet because they don't have the money, and then commenting that they've "tried everything possible". Seriously, if you can't take care of your pet, don't invest in it.

If anyone can draw, we need someone to make a picture in our TP thread over at the lounge. All you have to do is make a picture out of a sentence someone sends you and then forward your picture (without sentence) to next person on list (and the moderator).

Thanks.
SOV

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=877882

turns out bug spray is rather hard to find this time of year. would not have guessed the middle of the winter was a poor time to try to stock up haha. i found a 40% and 98% DEET set at Kmart, but that seemed a bit excessive and potential carcinogenic haha. I really just want my nice Off Deep Woods. oh well...

Super easy and healthy cookies!

AlmondButterChocolateChipCookies_article.jpg

Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies:
-1 cup unsalted almond butter (roasted or raw, nutrition is about the same for both. I like to use roasted almond butter because it adds more flavor)
-3/4 cup Sucanat (or sugar substitute of choice. I like to use coconut sugar because of its low glycemic index)
-1 large egg
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp sea salt
-3oz dark chocolate (I use 59%, although 74% is awesome to use [higher in antioxidants], too)
-Optional, but highly recommended: chopped almonds

Preheat oven to 350 deg
Stir first 5 ingredients until blended, then stir in chocolate
Drop rounded tbs on parchment lined baking sheet (baking sheet with aluminum foil works, too).
Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool.

-From Clean Eating Magazine

:)

Here's some random stuff.

I just bought my dogs that idiotic dog ice cream you can get in the supermarket.

I assumed they'd eat it slowly, licking it in a civilized manner. Instead, both of them shotgunned a fist-sized lump of ice and gave themselves brain freeze.

Brain freeze in a dog looks like spastic drunkenness. Both of them were bulldozing their faces along the carpet, doing combat rolls and barking at god.

dog-icecream.jpg

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji0r3ChfVL4&feature=share[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtX8nswnUKU[/YOUTUBE]

My boyfriend made me a Christmas card based on this video...except the kittens were sperm:laugh::rolleyes:

Also, my Mom bought this book before my sister was born in 1984.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtX8nswnUKU[/YOUTUBE]

My boyfriend made me a Christmas card based on this video...except the kittens were sperm:laugh::rolleyes:

Also, my Mom bought this book before my sister was born in 1984.

I remember checking this book out of the library when I was in elementary school. My narration was not as interesting as this girl's, though :laugh:

Just watched Minnerbelle's original and then the "remix"...now my stomach hurts from laughing so hard!!!

...:cry:...sorry, I'm getting emotional...I'm thinking about cats again. I promised myself I wouldn't cry!!!