Random AADSAS Questions: 2018-2019 Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluetree24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
AADSAS application opened today, so I thought it would be a good idea to contain discussion about the application to a central thread that is easily accessible. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Does it look "bad" to not fill out the required fields? I know it sounds silly, but do they expect that we fill out most information even if it is not necessarily required?

Reactions: 1 user
This is probably a stupid question but how does submitting the application work when taking the DAT at the end of may? I have heard it takes about 3-4 weeks for your scores to go through so does that mean you can't submit your application at all until about a month after you take the DAT or can you submit it right after taking the DAT when you know your scores? Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
This is probably a stupid question but how does submitting the application work when taking the DAT at the end of may? I have heard it takes about 3-4 weeks for your scores to go through so does that mean you can't submit your application at all until about a month after you take the DAT or can you submit it right after taking the DAT when you know your scores? Thank you

You can submit your application and it just won't be reviewed until your DAT is received. I would submit earlier rather than later because transcript review does not start until you pay to submit.

Reactions: 1 users
What do I enter for a class that appears on my transcript for Fall but I don't get a grade till Spring? It's a lab course so it was for the whole year and we get 1 final grade at the end

I applied in 2016-17 before AADSAS was moved to the new application portal. Do I need to create a new account or do I use the old one from the old portal?

Old log in works great! You will be assigned the same CAS ID as last time

What do I put for the course that does not appear on aadsas application? for example, I have LAS: Freshman Seminar and LAS is not on aadsas. Also, no crop science. What should i do?

What do I put for the course that does not appear on aadsas application? for example, I have LAS: Freshman Seminar and LAS is not on aadsas. Also, no crop science. What should i do?
i have the same problem. i just tried to find a subject that was most relevant for the freshman seminars.

When they go over your transcript to verify it they will also determine the category they fit in. Choose what you feel it is best.

Does it look "bad" to not fill out the required fields? I know it sounds silly, but do they expect that we fill out most information even if it is not necessarily required?
Required fields you must fill out.
For the other fields (questions like what state have you resided in the longest, what county, what city, etc), I answered some but left others blank. I figured if they wanted it bad enough the school could reach out and ask me. It's up to you, but I don't think it looks "bad" to not fill them out.
As bluetree stated, just submit the application with your unofficial scores. That way the transcript review/GPA verification process can start, which can take 3+ weeks. In this mean time, your DAT scores will be processed and your app will be automatically updated with the official scores at about the same time that your GPA verification finishes. Remember though, you can only submit on June 5th!

Members don't see this ad :)
What do I enter for a class that appears on my transcript for Fall but I don't get a grade till Spring? It's a lab course so it was for the whole year and we get 1 final grade at the end
You have a unique situation which I'd ask AADSAS/ADEA about.
I applied in 2016-17 before AADSAS was moved to the new application portal. Do I need to create a new account or do I use the old one from the old portal?
You'll need to make a new account because anything from the 16-17 portal was erased in the 17-18 portal. Sorry :/

Do we have to resend all of our transcripts?
All the ones from last cycle are showing arrived under the check status tab.
I only need to update one of my five transcripts.

When selecting specific courses to fulfill a prereq one school says, "General Biology I and II with lab. Will also accept Microbiology, Genetics, Molecular Biology and Cell Biology." If I got a higher grade in Micro than General Bio, should I use the Micro course for this, or should I stick to Biol 1 & 2?

Do we list shadowing experience under "experiences" along with volunteer, work, and EC? I thought there'd be a specific section for it, but I can't find it.

Does anybody know if there is anything specific to write for "Personal Message to Evaluator" under "Create Evaluation Request?"

I actually emailed this exact question to AADSAS a few days ago. I also applied during the 2016-2017 cycle. They told me you have to create a new account and nothing would be carried over from last time.

How do you report a shadowing experience?

Which do you pick out of full time/part time/temporary/per diem? This only makes sense for employment.

Why are the compensated/received academic credit/volunteer boxes relevant? This only makes sense for employment, research, or volunteer work.

I did shadow some dentists more than once, but it was sporadic and not on a weekly basis, thus being forced to report it as average weekly hours x number of weeks doesn't make sense.

I got the same response from them just now.
I filled out an application last cycle (to see what the application looked like, wasn't ready to apply at that time), and everything I had already filled out carried over for this cycle.

Does anybody know if there is anything specific to write for "Personal Message to Evaluator" under "Create Evaluation Request?"
I think it is just whatever quick message you have for your letter writer? It should not be something that dental schools will see.

If you type in NG that means there is no grade there at all. If your transcript currently has a letter to say that the course goes across multiple semesters and your grade is to be withheld until the course ends, then enter that letter.

If in doubt, just email them and ask (get their response in writing, in case you run into problems later).

When selecting specific courses to fulfill a prereq one school says, "General Biology I and II with lab. Will also accept Microbiology, Genetics, Molecular Biology and Cell Biology." If I got a higher grade in Micro than General Bio, should I use the Micro course for this, or should I stick to Biol 1 & 2?
I think you might want to follow what they ask? Idk if they will look at the grades in specifically the courses you selected. It seems like they just want to be sure that you have plans to get the prereqs done before you matriculate?

For the Manual Dexterity section -- should that just be a list of different activities or an actual paragraph?

Stupid question, but how do I remove a dental school from my list after selecting it on the application?

Under Personal Information - Contact Information, what is the definition of a permanent residence and does the address you provide dictate your state residency which can affect the admissions process for state schools? I lived in NJ for pretty much my whole life. But I recently moved to NY (been over a year now) and I plan on staying in NY for a while so what is my permanent residence?
I'm guessing kind of like college? Where your permanent address is your parent's address until you move out of their place for good. Each school has its own way for determining state residency. I've heard of schools where if you live out of the state for just a year, you have to go through some appeals process and may not necessarily be eligible for in state tuition upon return.

Up to you. You can just put in something like outlining the due date that you want it by and some small suggestions? Depends if you already emailed them with this as well. I just put some small reminders of when I wanted it by and thanks for doing this etc etc.

If I was inducted into an honor society and am an active member of the club now, should I put that under experiences or achievements?

I was wondering when filling out the information for our transcripts do we need to put in our senior year classes in? Even though we might not stick to that exact schedule, or do we just fill up to our junior year spring semester?

Also, do we need to indicate somewhere the high school credit we earned or will that also be seen when the official transcripts are received?

I was wondering when filling out the information for our transcripts do we need to put in our senior year classes in? Even though we might not stick to that exact schedule, or do we just fill up to our junior year spring semester?
If I am correct, the "in progress/planned" coursework is not binding. But it would be extremely important especially if you have outstanding prereqs that you need to get done.

If I am correct, the "in progress/planned" coursework is not binding. But it would be extremely important especially if you have outstanding prereqs that you need to get done.
That makes sense thank you! How about for credit earned in high school is there a spot to put those?

That makes sense thank you! How about for credit earned in high school is there a spot to put those?
You have to list the institution under colleges attended, and then when you enter your coursework for that institution. It doesn't seem like there is a "high school" option for academic status, so I would assume you put "freshman"? Best to email AADSAS and ask (make sure you get their answer in writing).

If I was inducted into an honor society and am an active member of the club now, should I put that under experiences or achievements?
I'd put it under experiences and then in its description talk about how you were inducted in, and also talk about what you do and maybe why it's important to you :)

Stupid question, but how do I remove a dental school from my list after selecting it on the application?
Near the top there are 4 boxes, click "Add Program." Scroll down, find the school, and hit "undo" to the right

Near the top there are 4 boxes, click "Add Program." Scroll down, find the school, and hit "undo" to the right

Thanks, the problem was that I only had one school selected, that's why I couldn't see the undo button.

Probably a dumb question but could I put a sport (basketball) under the manual dexterity section? If not, is it alright to just have it blank?

Probably a dumb question but could I put a sport (basketball) under the manual dexterity section? If not, is it alright to just have it blank?
Definitely put it! That would help greatly with hand-eye coordination, something you'll definitely need as a dentist.

For the transcript entry, do you only input whatever is currently on your transcript or do you have to also put courses you are planning to take in the upcoming year?

I'd put it under experiences and then in its description talk about how you were inducted in, and also talk about what you do and maybe why it's important to you :)

thank you, I will do that then!

For the transcript entry, do you only input whatever is currently on your transcript or do you have to also put courses you are planning to take in the upcoming year?
You also put your planned courses. When you enter a new term, on the upper right of the box just change it to "Planned/In progress". Of course you might not be able to stick to it, but I think schools just want to see what you have planned/that you're not getting lazy.

thank you, I will do that then!
No problem!

Do I have to select which letter go to which schools? (i.e. MWU-AZ only requires 2; do I pick two or do they get all four?)

Do I have to select which letter go to which schools? (i.e. MWU-AZ only requires 2; do I pick two or do they get all four?)
They get all of them! The only things that vary from school to school are the supplemental questions included in AADSAS and the pre-req courses you use. Other than those, each school gets exactly the same application.

Reactions: 2 users
At the end of the Dental School Applications for each school there is a "Questions" tab. Are these questions consider the secondaries or do we get more questions emailed to us later on? Thank you!

I think you just need to select Planned/In Progress as your grade and you can update it later.

Does it matter if I get the evaluation letter from a professor who has Ph.d or not?

I started a Master's Program in January, but I will be transferring to a post-bac program for the remainder of this year. When adding coursework from the Master's program would I indicate that my degree is still in progress because I do plan on completing it in the future.

Why can't I see the DAT verification mark? When I click on check status, it only shows transcript has not been received. It does not say anything about if my DAT has been received. I took it last year, and I entered it manually, but how do I get it verified. I already put in my DENTPIN.