radiology residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camisho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm an undergraduate and I had a general question for everyone...do you have to go to a top medschool to get a radiology residency? How is UMDNJ if anyone knows? Georgetown? Thanks and please don't ridicule me for asking haha :p

Members don't see this ad.

You can go to any med school and become a radilogist ,its a competitive residency but there are plenty of spots and virtually all US med schools send few people into this field annually.UMDNJ has 2 med schools Robert Wood Johnson and New Jersey med which are both very reputable med schools.(there is also an osteopathic medical school)You can become a radilogist from all of the schools mentioned including Georgetown which is said to be a very expensive place.

Originally posted by camisho
Hi everyone, I'm an undergraduate and I had a general question for everyone...do you have to go to a top medschool to get a radiology residency? How is UMDNJ if anyone knows? Georgetown? Thanks and please don't ridicule me for asking haha :p

Hi, I attend UMDNJ- Newark right now and may be on the admissions committee soon. UMDNJ is a great school that is often underrated. The faculty and administration is very active with the students (not that interested in research). We have a special program where 1st year med. students are allowed to work with patients under the care of an attending. It's a very close-kint community; everybody knows everyone. We are currently undergoing a cirriculum change so if you do come to UMDNJ, you will experience the most up to date med program. Every year, we have students get into the most competitive residency programs. (including radiology).
You may have heard that the area around the school is unsafe. That is not true. I live within walking distance of the school, and walking everyday has never been a problem for me (or any of my classmates that live in the same area)
If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.