Radiation protection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myrandom2003

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Attenutech is having that sale.

What is your standard fluoro attire other than lead apron/vests?

Anyone using X-ray gloves or a lead hat?

Favorite lead glasses?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Annutech is having that sale.

Favorite lead glasses?
Big step back between shots makes the biggest difference. My numbers are way lower than my partner's and we do same volume, very similar technique, except he doesn't step back.

Nike Brazen glasses. No gloves or hat--hands not sensitive to radiation, hat offers negligible protection if any.

Reactions: 1 user
We have a standing plexiglass lead panel with arm holes I wheel right up to the patient, I wear lead vest and glasses as well behind it.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have a standing plexiglass lead panel with arm holes I wheel right up to the patient, I wear lead vest and glasses as well behind it.
Which lead panel with arm holes do you use?

Which lead panel with arm holes do you use?
I’ll get the brand name next week, I actually can’t even find a picture online of the one we use.

Would highly recommend though, takes a little while to get used to, but if you take a step back before X-rays anyway, why not just take a step back and go behind a screen?

Annutech is having that sale.

Favorite lead glasses?
Never heard of this company, do you have a link to the website?

Anyone know much about lead vs lead-free? Seems like lead-free like Xenolite is lighter and probably more expensive but is there a downside, like less protection?

I’ll get the brand name next week, I actually can’t even find a picture online of the one we use.

Would highly recommend though, takes a little while to get used to, but if you take a step back before X-rays anyway, why not just take a step back and go behind a screen?

Is it this one?

Anyone know much about lead vs lead-free? Seems like lead-free like Xenolite is lighter and probably more expensive but is there a downside, like less protection?
In general, the lead-free ones use a mix of lighter metals to get similar protection at low energy but lose the protection at high energy ranges. Most C-arms go up to 120 kVp. I wouldn't stress the differences at high energies as your spine will appreciate you more before the cancer gets you.

1630959374509.png

Lead free products are worse for protecting from scatter. The good lead free ones (see Infab 0.5mm lead equivalent) is nearly as heavy as regular lead (for a reason). There is no escaping the weight if you want full protection. That being said, the exposure for interventional pain procedures is low in general especially if you step away during lateral shots.

Members don't see this ad :)

Is it this one?
Yes, ours is much older, but that is the style.

I have posted here before, but I place "lead" drapes OVER the patient, above and below the field, to reduce scatter leaving the patient. My levels are undetectable and I do over 300+ procedures per month.

I have posted here before, but I place "lead" drapes OVER the patient, above and below the field, to reduce scatter leaving the patient. My levels are undetectable and I do over 300+ procedures per month.
300 procedures a month?
So 15 per day every working day?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
I don't do procedures every day of the week, but on average yes. I have about 3 procedure days a week and do about 32-40 procedures per full day.

Can you post a picture?

Do you remember where you got the drapes?

I don't do procedures every day of the week, but on average yes. I have about 3 procedure days a week and do about 32-40 procedures per full day.
You wipe down these drapes after every patient? Or use extra sheets?

If it weren't for the ? sterility issues, I might consider something like this as more reasonable.

If only someone made something like that that was able to be sterilized, see through, and still protective. Maybe a system of transparent lead acrylic beads or long flaps.

With the shielding/draping you're describing mid|ine, I'm confused as to how you significantly drop your own exposure. The lead skirts for sure would help, but the patient draping isn't computing for me.

We wipe them down and put a chuck pad under them.

They are NOT in the sterile field.

Most exposure for the pain physician is from scatter. Places over the patient, these drapes dramatically reduce the amount of scatter coming out of the TOP and SIDE of the patient to the physician. Drapes below reduce the scatter from below the table.

Attachments

• 10_16_16555_02_cmyk[1].gif
    10_16_16555_02_cmyk[1].gif
    152 KB · Views: 81
Last edited: