Rad Onc Twitter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So many clown bullies in our field. Truly disgusting.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
They tell you right off that they don’t pay very well, lol

What was the number they threw out?

I'm not surprised, HCA will no doubt take advantage of a competitive market and the fact that they advertised a job in a competitive market online means they are probably trying to get coverage for bottom dollar.

But, I have heard of HCA paying very, very well in less competitive markets. And overall, while HCA has a bad rap, the people I know working for them seem very happy. The general gist I got is that they are less shady as a for-profit organization than many of the "non-profit" academic centers.

Reactions: 1 user
Was no number, just the HCA person I spoke to, she made it VERY CLEAR that it was a low number. This has nothing to do with HCA, and probably everything to do with being in Denver. People seem to love that place. Smells like pot, constantly, now.

I mean, how does one even approach that on an initial phone call?

“How many dozens of dollars are you used to making?”

“Are you independently wealthy?”

“Do you see your job as a source of income or more of a passion project? We’re only looking for passionate people.”

I’d be really interested to hear how that went.

I mean, how does one even approach that on an initial phone call?

“How many dozens of dollars are you used to making?”

“Are you independently wealthy?”

“Do you see your job as a source of income or more of a passion project? We’re only looking for passionate people.”

I’d be really interested to hear how that went.

Ha.
It was more like this. Within 2 minutes of the call, before I asked about ANYTHING, and this is a paraphrase - "We do need you to know that the salary may seem low, but we have many people interested in living in Denver." Give them a call and see if they say the same thing to you. This was a year ago, at least.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
this is the second time they posted so guess they aren't getting the type of replies they had hoped for

this is the second time they posted so guess they aren't getting the type of replies they had hoped for
Guessing the folks who are willing to take $200k went to Stanford or MGH as Junior faculty instead.

Or retrained into IM to make six figures more as a hospitalist.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
incredible to me that people just assume that 200k is what they pay.

it's fact now.

This Twitter narrative is ridiculous:

"They were cautioned about RadOnc BUT were committed to cancer patients and did their own research about the field."

...yet again, implying that if you are pessimistic about the economics of becoming a Radiation Oncologist in America today you are pessimistic about cancer patients??

"They were cautioned about RadOnc BUT were committed to cancer patients and did their own research about the field."

...yet again, implying that if you are pessimistic about the economics of becoming a Radiation Oncologist in America today you are pessimistic about cancer patients??
I hope Ken ain't SOAPing come March

I mean, what was he going to say? "We had to interview a lot of candidates that 3 years ago wouldn't have sniffed an interview seat at Mayo Arizona, let alone at the main campus."

I mean maybe he's right and maybe Mayo Rochester was able to maintain the exact same standards as it did 5 years ago for their candidates and maybe he's just so awesome or Mayo is so awesome that they will continue to match with zero issues.

We'll see if the top 25 programs all interview the same 50-60 people and thus multiple spots at the 'top' programs end up unfilled in the match.

Eh, I mean it's a fair point IMO. I think that statement is over-reading into it somewhat. They were cautioned about RadOnc('s job market woes) but were commited to cancer patients (like all rad oncs are) and did their own research about the field (and the job market, from a likely mostly academic mentor group which has a 'mean time since last job hunt' statistic of > 10-15 years).

I mean, what was he going to say? "We had to interview a lot of candidates that 3 years ago wouldn't have sniffed an interview seat at Mayo Arizona, let alone at the main campus."

I mean maybe he's right and maybe Mayo Rochester was able to maintain the exact same standards as it did 5 years ago for their candidates and maybe he's just so awesome or Mayo is so awesome that they will continue to match with zero issues.

We'll see if the top 25 programs all interview the same 50-60 people and thus multiple spots at the 'top' programs end up unfilled in the match.
I suspect many PDs will gaslight until the SOAP.

None of them even acknowledged anything regarding expansion or the job market until match 2019

Eh, I mean it's a fair point IMO. I think that statement is over-reading into it somewhat. They were cautioned about RadOnc('s job market woes) but were commited to cancer patients (like all rad oncs are) and did their own research about the field (and the job market, from a likely mostly academic mentor group which has a 'mean time since last job hunt' statistic of > 10-15 years).

Probably a consequence of me reviewing a lot of papers and grants lately - I tend to laser in on how and when people use "but".

Mostly because I feel like it's a word people use to redirect - "no offense, but...","I'm not racist, but...".

Could be me reading too deep into it, could be gaslighting like @medgator said.

Reactions: 1 users
Let's see how KO is feeling 3/16/20

I'm interested to see if Mayo will really be Step Score and achievement blind. Can these high functioning academics really take people who are not high functioning academics? Or is he saying lower tier programs, but not prestigious Mayo, should not worry about step scores.

Last edited:
Ha.
It was more like this. Within 2 minutes of the call, before I asked about ANYTHING, and this is a paraphrase - "We do need you to know that the salary may seem low, but we have many people interested in living in Denver." Give them a call and see if they say the same thing to you. This was a year ago, at least.

I applied for and was offered a rad onc job at a HCA hospital last year (different city but also very desirable) pay was $250,000 (non negotiable) with no retirement contribution. Probably would be working about 60 hours a week with every other week call.

FWIW if I had taken this job this would been considered a win on that ASTRO employment survey that was sent out.

• Wow
I applied for and was offered a rad onc job at a HCA hospital last year (different city but also very desirable) pay was $250,000 (non negotiable) with no retirement contribution. Probably would be working about 60 hours a week with every other week call.

as far as you know, did someone take this job or does it remain open?

Gotta love guys slow playing their match already. "It's better if our applicants have no publications nor high step scores." Match day comes: ""Great news! No one we matched had publications nor high step scores."

This is all just "leadership" skills--no matter what is happening, put a positive spin on it.

I'm a history buff and I look at it like a general leading troops to war. Their job is to move forward no matter how many lives below are lost.

as far as you know, did someone take this job or does it remain open?

Haven't seen it advertised or anything so they probably got someone who will last 2 years (last two rad oncs there both left after 2 years).

• Sad
U of C playing damage control After this thread. Someone gonna get tricked into this malignant program

• Haha
Haven't seen it advertised or anything so they probably got someone who will last 2 years (last two rad oncs there both left after 2 years).

I know someone at an HCA hospital getting 400-500k, said they love it. Location in desirable area about 1 hr from a major city. I hear situations can vary much like any employed position.

Finally people are getting it...

I’m super happy if it happens! All credit to SDN

Those academic snobs will find some way to steal the credit though

Where is the anti trust bs now??

• Haha
Rahul has always been perceptive and uses language effectively. He has to toe the line of being an employee of a large cancer center and fully understanding the crisis. His editorial will probably be a full throated call to arms, that’s written respectfully. He’s one of the good guys.

Reactions: 9 users
Current set of residents is like the greatest generation. Had to have the best stats in medicine. Got the ABR debacle. Got the oversupply crisis. Got the APM reimbursement cut. Got the supervision rule change and associated job market collapse. NOW.... they get to work harder than ever as they are forced to double cover attendings because spots didn’t fill in the match.

Reactions: 3 users
Current set of residents is like the greatest generation. Had to have the best stats in medicine. Got the ABR debacle. Got the oversupply crisis. Got the APM reimbursement cut. Got the supervision rule change and associated job market collapse. NOW.... they get to work harder than ever as they are forced to double cover attendings because spots didn’t fill in the match.
Just in time for the boomers to real FUBAR things up with CMS by the time they graduate and hit the real world. Deficits are ripped open under the current administration, pre-recession, with no plan to address entitlement spending

GOP only care about the deficit when they’re not in the big house.

• Haha

Yes, I will accept the title of Greatest Generation, thank you.

However, I would gladly be considered Worst Pond Scum on the Planet if that title came with a job...

The day of reckoning has arrived. I am satisfied.

If you want to save Rad Onc - vote Buttigieg!

And I thought that I had it bad because I missed the hey-day of unrestricted IMRT reimbursement . . .

• Haha
And I thought that I had it bad because I missed the hey-day of unrestricted IMRT reimbursement . . .

This is why Gen X is the worst. Gen X are the ones that had it good all along and still found a way to complain.

(For those wondering Gen X described by Wikipedia as those born between 1965 and 1980).

People who SOAP should AND will be shamed.

This is why Gen X is the worst. Gen X are the ones that had it good all along and still found a way to complain.

(For those wondering Gen X described by Wikipedia as those born between 1965 and 1980).
No way. Very few Gen X own centers outright. The ones who profited through and through were mostly the boomers. Certainly many are still collecting pro fees like myself but it is orders of magnitude smaller than owning land, vaults, machines etc outright or making tens of millions selling to 21c or McKesson/vantage

No way. Very few Gen X own centers outright. The ones who profited through and through were mostly the boomers. Certainly many are still collecting pro fees like myself but it is orders of magnitude smaller than owning land, vaults, machines etc outright or making tens of millions selling to 21c or McKesson/vantage

True

• Haha