Rad Onc Twitter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The "DEI/Woke" pendulum swung too far.

We're back to another era of "let's get weird".

I wonder what's next?
Well, we do have an election coming up soon…

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Well, we do have an election coming up soon…
Yes, it's a choice between a white, male octogenarian with diminishing faculties and a white, male octogenarian with diminishing faculties. Outside of academics and academic medicine, as far as I can tell, this woke/dei agenda, as it were, is dying.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
I do love that ‘swung too far’ means, checks notes, some white dudes are annoyed by tweets.

My take on this stuff is that it comes with the territory and you may not like everything that is said but that’s kind of the point.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I do love that ‘swung too far’ means, checks notes, some white dudes are annoyed by tweets.

My take on this stuff is that it comes with the territory and you may not like everything that is said but that’s kind of the point.
Incorrect - I would argue that has always been the case.

The difference between now and say, 5-8 years ago, is that there is open opposition to DEI and it's not a career death sentence.

I’m so glad that people can be against DEI, I agree that was a major societal problem that we needed to overcome. Progress has been made. /s

I’m so glad that people can be against DEI, I agree that was a major societal problem that we needed to overcome. Progress has been made. /s
I mean yea, there’s like one black head nfl coach now!

Hahahaha

While others may say that, that's not my particular point.

There's always a "thing", a cause or an interest that gets picked up by the population and grows in popularity. On the upswing and the peak, you can't be skeptical of "the thing" without out-of-proportion backlash.

This is easily observable in RadOnc. With the workforce stuff. It's why I used the word "pendulum" - that was in the title of Chirag's 2013 paper we call "bloodbath".

11 years later, talking about the workforce goes...very differently.

Now, that's not to say there won't ALWAYS be consequences for having an opinion on issues, especially if it's the minority opinion.

We're on the downswing of DEI/woke at the moment. There are many other candidate issues. There doesn't seem to be a clear winner...yet.

It sort of depends on if WW3 or Civil War II happens first, I guess.

Covid made me a single issue voter. I don’t like a lot of things about Bobby Kennedy, but he’s the only option in November IMO as pointed out above indirectly.

I'm a single issue voter and that issue is.... WIFI causes GBM!! Finally a scapegoat I can offer to patients. Thanks Bobby K!

• Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Nobody bats 1000. Reasonable enough question to investigate if using devices that pump enough RF energy out to put a hi def movie in front of you wirelessly in a few seconds could potentially be harmful. The guy is not motivated by any external interests and that says a lot when comparing to the other two choices of pus$y grabber and senile corrupt grandpa.

The biggest issue I had with him, is in his book when he suggested that HPV vaccines actually cause cervical cancer, and he provided a reference, which was invalid and I could find no actual evidence at all for this claim on a independent search. On the other hand we have a generation of doctors that actually believe that HPV vaccines provide durable complete immunity against HPV, which they do not: They lower your risk of acquiring HPV, however you still very much can get it despite being vaccinated against it. They just reduce the risk of acquiring the harmful strains during the critical period of adolescence. It’s amazing to me how few people understand this. (Yes, I’ve been vaccinated myself).

Medical science gets a lot of things wrong and is constantly updating recommendations that were sure things before. It is simply cult like behavior to not be able to admit “we might be wrong about this” and mock and shame anyone who asks questions out of a genuine desire to prevent harm.
But you'd sign someone that had one hit in 500 at-bats?

Reactions: 1 users
1711313256983.png

• Angry
  • Wow
Yes, it's a choice between a white, male octogenarian with diminishing faculties and a white, male octogenarian with diminishing faculties. Outside of academics and academic medicine, as far as I can tell, this woke/dei agenda, as it were, is dying.

Economy?
Climate?
Inflation?
America's role in the world/NATO?
Trade wars?
Culture wars?
Border wars?
Drug wars?
Taxes?
Protecting democratic institutions?
Jobs?
Corporate greed?
Political extremism/violence?
Bodily autonomy?
Voters' rights?
Cost of/access to healthcare?
Supreme Court?
Entitlements, Social Security/Medicare?
Housing crunch/cost?
Education?
Middle class dream disappearing?
Disaffected youth?
Declining reproduction rates?

Screw all that. THEE only issue worth caring about in 2024 is COVID-19 vaccinations.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Economy?
Climate?
Inflation?
America's role in the world/NATO?
Trade wars?
Culture wars?
Border wars?
Drug wars?
Taxes?
Protecting democratic institutions?
Jobs?
Corporate greed?
Political extremism/violence?
Bodily autonomy?
Voters' rights?
Cost of/access to healthcare?
Supreme Court?
Entitlements, Social Security/Medicare?
Housing crunch/cost?
Education?
Middle class dream disappearing?
Disaffected youth?
Declining reproduction rates?

Screw all that. THEE only issue worth caring about in 2024 is COVID-19 vaccinations.
Our current "elite" rests on the assumption that their credentials (thought to be synonymous with intelligence or good judgement or whatever) assures good decision making and technocratic skill. But what happens when this managerial elite, whose right to rule rests on making better decisions than the great unwashed can on their own -- no longer are "right"? When this managerial elite are publicly, embarrassingly wrong? When peoples lives and livelihoods suffered so greatly? With never an apology, never accountability, only MoveOn. Btw, this isn't a partisan statement; you can pick your great issue of the past, and many of those technocrats or politicians are still around, still held in "esteem", zombies of the current process, held in place because they're "our guy". Why should anyone trust the same folks who were so wrong to address correctly or competently anything on that list?

Reactions: 3 users
They are going to find, at their own peril, that there a lot more out there who are waking up to what happened now that questioning the narrative doesn’t immediately make you a pariah. The current administration literally tried to use OSHA to force 90 million Americans to take an experimental therapeutic funded by taxpayers to enrich big pharma with liability shields, at the threat of losing their livelihoods. There is no way I could ever support these people again just based on that.

But he should be thrilled with the incessant tangents he posts back to Trump. Given that I will never vote for anyone who supported the above, Bobby Kennedy has peeled away a Trump vote. There are a lot like me.
Galaxy brain level take right here

i just don't get it.
i am all about equity, but DEI being applied to everything is just ridiculous.
Applying her logic - you can always find something to be upset about. If there were women on the paper, then the next logical step is...well are they diverse?

I mean should we start applying DEI to athletics? I guess there is some work in the NFL for head coaches.

I mean she's a white woman.... so it wouldn't be her career that would be facilitated by being made that there was no diversity on the paper.

But wait, looking at the FULL author list (if you click 'et. al' on NEJM):
1711389504479.png

I am not going to bother googling all of these names, but surely some or most of those circled in red are probably women?

So we (the proverbial 'we') are outraged because the female names are all 'below the fold' as one would say if talking about newspapers? But co-authors on a NEJM paper?

I mean she's a white woman.... so it wouldn't be her career that would be facilitated by being made that there was no diversity on the paper.

View attachment 384541

I am not going to bother googling all of these names, but surely some or most of those circled in red are probably women?

So we (the proverbial 'we') are outraged because the female names are all 'below the fold' as one would say if talking about newspapers? But co-authors on a NEJM paper?
She buried the lede. My understanding is that these drug publications are essentially ghostwritten by the pharmaceutical company rather than actual physician investigators and therefore she should take up her DEI/ESG issues with Novartis management.

View attachment 384541

Seock-Ah Im, Frances Visco, Karen Afenjar, and Yan Li are all women as well. Seems kinda Eurocentric and patriarchal to just assume the "non-white" names are all males, just sayin'

1711436076158.png

Does not look adaptive to me…

• Haha
What's being treated there? Parotid tumor? Skin ca?
It appears to be postoperative. Likely something with perineural invasion, the volume seems to extend into the skull base.
Certainly, nothing you would need adaptive tratment for, IMHO.

It appears to be postoperative. Likely something with perineural invasion, the volume seems to extend into the skull base.
Certainly, nothing you would need adaptive tratment for, IMHO.
Lot of stuff doesn't need protons either.... But the machines won't pay for themselves

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I don’t think the post even said they’re adapting? In fact I would be shocked if any department did an adaptive on their first ethos treatment.

I don’t think the post even said they’re adapting? In fact I would be shocked if any department did an adaptive on their first ethos treatment.
They're adapting to new economic realities

• Haha
  • Love
In fairness, it does just say first patient treated on Ethos (not saying they're adapting on this fraction or potentially even this patient)
In fairness, the second sentece on the Tweet is on adaptive treatment.

So, it's a bit like if United Airlines posted a pic of their brand new Boeing jet on the tarmac, saying it's their first delivery, and they are excited to start their non-stop service New York City to Mumbai. And when you look at the picture, you realize the jet is missing its engines.
Evil Eye What GIF by Maryanne Chisholm - MCArtist

• Haha

So, it's a bit like if United Airlines posted a pic of their brand new Boeing jet on the tarmac, saying it's their first delivery, and they are excited to start their non-stop service New York City to Mumbai. And when you look at the picture, you realize the jet is missing its engines.
Story checks out.

You know what they say what happens when you assume

Most importantly, concerning the Tweet:
1711474962427.png

• Haha
Most importantly, concerning the Tweet:
View attachment 384597
Gotta at least do it for a pic in clinic, otherwise they'd get cancelled by the "OMG YOU'RE GOING TO KILL YOUR PTS WITH COVID THROUGH THE COMPUTER SCREEN AND LEAD WALLS" crowd that seems to still be going strong (see earlier in this thread about the brave person still wearing an N95 wherever she goes)

• Haha

View attachment 384541

Yes, but do these four also identify as females? The plot thickens!
We need pronouns in scientific journals!

Indeed, a ghost of someone. Time for them to return to the afterlife.
Interestingly enough, it seems like I jumped the gun here. My bad.

I've still removed the most outright political-focused posts, as I hope this thread can stay mostly within the already-broad topic of rad onc twitter...

• Haha
Interestingly enough, it seems like I jumped the gun here. My bad.

I've still removed the most outright political-focused posts, as I hope this thread can stay mostly within the already-broad topic of rad onc twitter...
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Haha
In truth, no politics? Go peruse ASTRO Twitter. From the top down, we have a lot of free time on our hands...
I defer to @Neuronix and @evilbooyaa . If you look at how they have handled this thread over the years you can come to a pretty decent idea of how they operate. Obviously there is some overlap.

I defer to @Neuronix and @evilbooyaa . If you look at how they have handled this thread over the years you can come to a pretty decent idea of how they operate. Obviously there is some overlap.
At this point, @Neuronix and @evilbooyaa should be salaried

Because we risk them getting headhunted by intelligence agency cybercrime teams otherwise

• Haha
Oh, no, evil and neuronix are handling things fine. Just a comment on our professional society's penchant for wading into the mire of world politics while concurrently making radonc-specific decisions that seem antithetical to their purported mission.

We try to minimize but it's like trying to bail out a sinking boat on an expanse ocean riddled by machine gun fire with a teaspoon

So we never catch everything. Use the report function!

Also - SDN Stock. LOL. Good one. I come here for the education. And the power.

Revenge Of The Sith Power GIF by Star Wars

• Haha
  • Love