Rad Onc Shortage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joewilly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interesting article in the JCO regarding potential significant increase in need for radiation oncologist. Fairly encouraging new for those of us concerned about job security. Fairly scary for those of us also concerned about being diagnosed with cancer!

Get ready to work.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Radiation Oncology Physician Shortfall.pdf
    128.8 KB · Views: 367
Nice find!

Only trouble I see with this analysis is it's all but impossible to predict how actual radiotherapy utilization will change in the next few decades. The authors compared current utilization guidelines with changing demographics and population etc to extrapolate their figures for 2020. They also looked historically to 1996 and found no more than 10% change in radiotherapy utilization, however who is to say that won't be different in the coming years what with our potential better ability to stratify the patients who actually need radiation adjuvantly?

My reasoning is that about ~50% of radiotherapy is curative, and the majority of this (e.g. breast) is in the adjuvant post-op setting. Who's to say that in the next 10 years we don't discover biomarkers that will stratify which early stage patients actually need post-op radiotherapy for local control? We know that after WLE only ~30% of patients fail locally. So at the extreme end of the spectrum, one day we could see treatment such that only 30% of breast patients get adjuvant radiotherapy, greatly reducing utilization.

On the other hand, new scans and techniques for targetting the CA, dose mapping etc as well as radiobiological improvements might make for a future where radiotherapy becomes viable definitive Rx for many more cancers traditionally treated surgically. E.g. currently definitive SRS for early stage lung cancer is going through trials.

This is just me playing Devil's advocate- all im saying is Oncology is highly evidence based and this evidence is highly dynamic, so workforce predictions are hard and should be taken with grains of salt!

My reasoning is that about ~50% of radiotherapy is curative, and the majority of this (e.g. breast) is in the adjuvant post-op setting. Who's to say that in the next 10 years we don't discover biomarkers that will stratify which early stage patients actually need post-op radiotherapy for local control? We know that after WLE only ~30% of patients fail locally. So at the extreme end of the spectrum, one day we could see treatment such that only 30% of breast patients get adjuvant radiotherapy, greatly reducing utilization.
I doubt that we will ever be in place to predict exactly which patients will and which ones will not need radiotherapy. I just don't see these "magic" biomarkers appearing.

A couple of thoughts on the subject:

1. In radiotherapy we have yet to find a single biomarker, that can safely allow us to ommit radiotherapy. In systemic therapy there are several markers already in routine use to predict the response of the disease to a systemic treatment (for example K-ras mutation for EGFR-antagonists).

2. As you pointed out only 30% of our patients fail locally, thus we treat 70% of our patients without needing to. Is however treating 70% of all the patients in vain a figure too high or unacceptable and do we actually need to make this figure better?
Look at systemic chemotherapy in breast cancer. It provides an overall survival benefit of about 5% in most cases. Yet our fellow medical oncologists hardly think twice when they offer this treatment to their patients, knowing than 95% of them receive it in vain. Surely we have genetic biomarkers emerging for breast cancer than are supposed to predict who's to get systemic chemotherapy and who's not to get it, but they are not considered standard yet. At least in Europe we don't use them. The medical oncologists still look only at T-/N-stage, grading, ER/PR/Her2neu-status and (newly) Ki-67-index.

3. I expect more indications for radiotherapy to emerge in the coming years and utilization to increase.
a) Although I have been working only for 5 years in radiation oncology, I already see a trend of retreating patients with radiotherapy. The amount of patients sent to us for retreatment is increasing and I have the impression, that systemic therapy is currently managing to keep the disease extremely long under control, thus more and more patients are sent to us for treatment due to local problems.
b) While some indications will disappear in the next 10 years, other will arise.
I expect that by 2020 we will only treat rectal cancer in the neoadjuvant setting if it's a cN+ or the tumor is situated in the lower rectum. The standard cT3 cN0 patients will probably get neoadjuvant FOLFOX with some "catchy" antibody without radiation.
On the other hand we may start treating Stage II+III NSCLC (perhaps only Adeno?) with prophylactic WBRT. I also expect radiation therapy to make a come back in the field of gastric cancer, probably in the neoadjuvant setting together with chemo. SBRT will also make a serious leap ahead and it may even substitute lobectomy for early NSCLC.
There may be a "market" for oligometastatic disease too, with Tomotherapy-like solutions leading the way there.
c) In 10 years we don't even know what kind of technology we will have in our hands. If the Tomotherapy attempt with CPAC to provide a rather "cheap" proton solution works out, then we may all have protons by 2020. This will allow us to escalate dose and hopefully minimize side-effects, all without investing 200 million dollars for a proton gantry. That could result into a major boost for radiation therapy.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you think radioimmunotherapy will make it into play in the future? Do you see more Radiation Oncologists utilizing this modality?

I hope this study doesn't lead to residency programs increasing spots or more new programs from opening. From my perspective, we are in a much better position if we keep our numbers low and the supply lower than the demand. I think in the last few years our RRC has expanded way too much as it is and we shoud try to keep the number of graduates at 100 or slightly above.

Sounds like the authors in the article aren't advocating any huge expansion in slots or programs:

At this time, the authors believe that it would be premature to dramatically increase residency class sizes until these research avenues are fully pursued. Nevertheless, it would be important to cautiously
explore the potential ability of existing training programs to increase the number of trainees and perhaps consider a conservative, gradual increase in the number of approved residency positions while further research into the radiation oncology workforce is conducted.

How do you think radioimmunotherapy will make it into play in the future? Do you see more Radiation Oncologists utilizing this modality?
If you mean utilizing antibodies/small molecules together with radiation treatment, I think the Cetuximab story in H&N-cancer speaks for its own.
I see more potential for such treatments, for example in the case of NSCLC, although we definitely need to wait for the trials first.

On a side note:
There is increasing interest in using radiation therapy to modulate the immune system. There are data from the hematologic field, showing that TBI can enhance anti-leukemia immune system response.The 2x2Gy success story in follicular lymphoma also showed that radiation therapy can kill tumor in more ways, than with the usual "cell kill effect".

Nice find!

Only trouble I see with this analysis is it's all but impossible to predict how actual radiotherapy utilization will change in the next few decades...This is just me playing Devil's advocate- all im saying is Oncology is highly evidence based and this evidence is highly dynamic, so workforce predictions are hard and should be taken with grains of salt!

Don't try to predict the future too much, it's the best way to prove yourself wrong.

When I was applying for rad onc in '97, the field was projected to be overstaffed because it was a young field. They didn't account for the older doctors who didn't want to transition to CT-based treatment planning and 3DCRT.

And even if the article is correct...why increase supply when we can cut the demand? Stop treating where the data don't support it as much, and that may address a large component of the problem.