Quoted: Shoplifting history and medical licensing

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am finishing school and will be applying for the next match season. However, I have a record and I'm afraid it will pop up when they do a background check when I join residency or when I apply to a state medical board for licensure. I was arrested previously for shoplifting. It was in NJ and I was >18 years old. I had my record expunged few months ago, but still afraid it might come up and preclude me from obtaining a training license or later a full license. Appreciate if someone went through a similar thing can post his experience or if someone knows any info can post it.

thanks

Although you may get experience-based advise here, I think that this is dependent on what exactly happened and the state you are going to be in. I always am cautious about people getting what is basically legal advice via anonymous internet forums. Having said that, I seriously doubt this will be a major issue anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you Tildy and aProgDirector for your reply.
It was a misdemaenor, and it's the only thing on my record.
Since it was expunged, I can answer "No" when asked by a future employer if I was ever convicted of misdemaenor or felony. That was clearly stated in the expungement.
I wonder if I can answer "No" to the same question when I join a residency program? Is residency considered employment? I'd rather not disclose my record unless it's really required.
What about the same question when applying to a state medical board for a license? Can I answer "No"?

Yes Tildy. I agree with you, advice on a internet forum should never be a substitute for legal/lawyer's advice.