Quoted:Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy and medical career

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The OP is specifically asking for advice related to the practice of medicine in someone with RSD. Remember that they are not asking for, nor is this a forum for providing medical advice:

I received some news today and I wanted to get some advice and info from anyone that is familiar with the situation.

To start, I recently fractured the 1st metatarsal on my right foot and was sent for a bone scan last Thursday. After the scan, the radiologists made the preliminary report and decided to send me to x-ray to get some films. I(as well as the rad tech) were assuming that they were wanting films of the right foot, but the paper said "left". The tech double checked with the MD and confirmed that he in fact wanted to see the RIGHT foot.

Fast forward to this afternoon when I go back to the office for the follow-up. The MD comes in and tells me that the bone scan confirmed the fracture on the right foot, but continues to say that there was an abnormality she needed to discuss with me. She explains that the reason for the x-ray on the left foot was due to the results of the bone scan. After consulting with another physician, it was determined that I have RSD. It is currently present in my left foot and ankle.

I don't know much about this condition and would appreciate any guidance. After reading up on it a little bit I realize that it is hard to diagnose and often needs several different tests to confirm. My main concern is mine and my family's previous history. I have had multiple surgeries in the past for infections(one that was actually diagnosed as being necrotizing fasciitis) and my mom was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 5 years ago. As I've read, frequent infections are a symptom of RSD.

To shorten this whole thing up... I will be applying to med school next year and I have a great interest in surgery(I work in an OR). I am curious to know how this type of condition will effect the possibilities of succeeding in surgery. I am very aware of the physical and physiological strain that goes along with surgery, but would like to know if anyone is familiar with this situation. I am asymptomatic for now and am hopeful that it will stay that way.

Members don't see this ad.

I expect that if you can stand for the periods of time required in the OR without difficulty, no one will care about what your bone scan/xrays show, nor will you be required to reveal this to anyone as long as it doesn't interfere with your performance nor require accommodation.