Quoted: licensing after contract not renewed

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have completed an intern year but was put on remediation and my contract was not subsequently renewed. I have commited no crimes. My program's chief residents had bad things to say about me, as did a couple residents, medical students and an attending. No issues with test scores.

How much of an obstacle would this be in getting a state license?

I'll defer to aPD for comments on this. Note that there have been several other threads with this topic as well recently.

Members don't see this ad.

It's going to depend on the state, your background, your future, and luck.

If you're a US grad, then it might be easier. Some states will license you with only an internship, and many states will license you with 2 years of residency. If you're an IMG, then most states require all three years of training.

Much will depend on whether you are in a new program, either in the same field or a different field, and doing well. If you do well in a new program, that will help.

Regardless, this will be a huge red flag when you apply for a license. For certain, the board will review your application closely. The best you can do at this point is to do as well as you can in whatever training comes next.

if you are not in a program, and if you're question is can you simply get licensed with only an internship where you were non-renewed, the answer is probably no, perhaps in a few states, and even with that it's unclear that anyone would hire you. Most insurance companies now require that you're board certfied to bill.

Although you didn't ask, I'll give you an extra piece of feedback: If several chief residents, other residents, medical students, and an attending all had "bad" things to say about you, I worry that you really do have a performance problem. Your post suggests that you feel this is all unfair and unwarranted. If not, then simply getting into a new program may lead to further trouble, if you don't deal with your problems first (or find a field / program that plays better to your strengths)

This is probably a terribly ignorant question to ask, but why would not getting the OP's contract renewed result in licensing problems :confused:? Assuming s/he is able to finish residency somewhere, why would it matter? :confused: (Yes, I'm a pre-med, but I would definitely like to understand things down the road).

Incidentally, are there sample licensing forms that I could look at? I would be curious to know what 'matters' and what doesn't in obtaining a license to practice. (Don't worry, no DUIs or anything :)).

If the OP had simply completed his/her internship and then left, then there wouldn't be any problem. But, the OP describes that they were let go from their program, would have been fired had they not left. On many licensing apps, there will be a question asking "Have you ever been asked to resign in lieu of being terminated?" or "Was this physician's performance fully satisfactory?", both of which might need to be answered no. As I have mentioned, this doesn't mean that the OP won't get a license, but that any board will review this with scrutiny.

You can find apps online. Simply google "(Insert state here) Board of Medicine"