Quoted: Disclosure on licensing forms

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Type 2 diabetic (well controlled) as well as suffering with generalized anxiety disorder. I will begin seeing a psychiatrist soon at the request of my current therapist, but I am scared to death about having to take medication and the fact that I am going to get a formal diagnosis from the psychiatrist.

I'm most worried about licensing at this point. In my state the question on the application is "Do you have a physical disease, mental disorder, or any condition which could affect your performance of professional duties?"
Could I reasonably answer no about both the diabetes and the GAD? I am afraid to have worked so hard for all these years only to be denied a license.

Neither diabetes nor GAD will cause licensing problems. As long as you do not have a psychotic or dementing disorder, I doubt you will have any difficulty. Of course, it depends on how severe the GAD is I guess.

The safest thing to do is to disclose the issues. It will slow your licensing somewhat, but shouldn't stop it. Honestly, if we refused licenses to every doc who used an antidepressant/antianxiety med, we'd have no one left. I personally think it's totally reasonable to answer no to those questions - as long as you've never been admitted for / in trouble because of it before.

Members don't see this ad.