Quoted:Changing specialties early in residency? help!

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A question related to changing specialties

I started my residency in Ob/Gyn this year, and after 2 months of L&D and Gyn Surgery, I am really questioning my career decision. It's not that I find internship difficult--in fact it has been a piece of cake so far--it's that I really don't like what I am doing. I spent most of med school trying to decide between ER and Anesthesia, could not decide, and was "counseled" by my 3rd year clerkship director into pursuing OB because she thought I would be good at it and I liked my student rotation. Of course, being a student who watches and a doctor who actually does are two very different things. I think I would make a fine Ob/Gyn as I work hard, I care about my patients, etc. However, I don't think I will make a "great" OB/Gyn as I am just not that passionate about it--certainly not enough to endure the long hours, litigous nature of the work etc. I have worked with many private Ob/Gyns (I'm at a community program) the past 2 months, and I really don't want their lifestyle.

So here is my question...how can I switch careers? I feel like I am liked by my program director and fellow residents. I have no doubt he would give me a good recommendation if I switched, especially since my intentions are sincere. Do I have to reenter the match? I would like to finish my PGY1 year in OB (rather than hose my fellow residents) I have thought about doing a prelim medicine year, and using that as a springboard into a career in Anesthesia or IM/CC, even ER. I know it would be a long round about approach, but I want to do this in the simplest--and most professional--way I can. I appreciate any advice!
Help!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You can definitely switch fields. If you're doing well, and have the support of your PD, then all the better.

Best thing to do is re-enter the match. You would likely need to resign from your current internship for the last block (else it will be virtually impossible to move, attend orientation, etc). Also, there is some chance that a program will interview you, then offer you an off cycle spot. You'll then have to decide whether to complete your current PGY-1.

Also, don't forget that perhaps an option is changing fields at the same institution.