Quoted: Academic issues (Help needed to complete medical school)

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a medical student in US. In my first year i failed Anatomy and I've to repeat that and passed. This experience affected me a lot and I lost my confidence. During my second year, I failed 4 classes and the school policy is to extend mysecond year to another year. I confidence level is very low and I am very worried about my future, including passing the USMLE and gettign a good residency. I was a bright student in college and one of the 10 students from highschool to get into this combined BS/MD program. Did research at NIH and have couple of publications. Founding memebr and president of Unite-for-sight organization at my school. Now depressed and completly out of my mind. I need guidance on how to become successful and complete my medical degree and get back on track. any help is appreciated. Please help me to regain my confidence level. I an having difficulty concentrating with all this worries on my head.
Please help!!

Hi:

As a faculty, it is hard to help you directly here, other than to post this so the SDN community can provide further advise. My main suggestion is that you shorten your perspective a bit. That is, don't worry as much about Step 1 and residency at this point. There are many great careers in medicine and you can have most of these options despite a less-than-stellar preclinical and/or Step 1 score. That is, a low Step 1 score may rule out a few things, but not many types of future options. For now, your task is to focus on each upcoming class and build your confidence AND motivation.

I also encourage you to speak both with your deans but also to try to find other faculty mentor to help you with long-term career goals.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I would add to Tildy's advice that you should get a medical evaluation. There could be a medical or psychiatric problem that is the source of your troubles. I have seen residents fall apart because of depression, obstructive sleep apnea, new diabetes, and a really interesting case of previously undiagnosed Wilson's disease.