Questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crr2d

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm about to graduate with a doctorate in chemistry and enter a postdoctoral position at the EPA (2 years). However, what i really would like to do is teach medicine and basic science at an osteopathic institution. So my question is what are my chances (having a Ph.D.) in obtaining admission at any osteopathic school? I'm unsure if the schools would instantly reject my application since the osteopathic philosophy stresses the practice of primary care medicine not teaching. I'm also unsure if my age (29) is an issue. Thanks to all for any information.

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt that your Ph.D would be viewed as a negative. I am curious why you feel the need to go through a DO program to teach at a DO school, unless you wanted to teach clinical medicine which would require you to actually practice for a few years. To the best of my knowledge none of our basic science faculty are DO/Ph.D or MD/Ph.D. We have DOs and MDs teaching some of our basics (path, clincal coorelates, ICM, OMM) and Ph.Ds teaching the rest (biochem, anatomy, physio, neuro, immuno, histology, micro, pharm, etc).

One additional comment, your age will probably not be an issue--my classes average age when we started was 27, with about 25% over 30.

Good Luck

Don't worry about your age. I am in 1st year at TUCOM and I was 31 when I was accepted. There weren't even any questions about it at my interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Choose a school and apply to teach.

If you indicate a knowledge of osteopathic philosophy. history and hard core chemistry knowledge I would find it surprising if a DO school would not hire you. Many of the schools are currently advertising available faculty positions. Check out the school's web sites for the 411.

------------------

Choose a school and apply to teach.

If you indicate a knowledge of osteopathic philosophy. history and hard core chemistry knowledge I would find it surprising if a DO school would not hire you. Many of the schools are currently advertising available faculty positions. Check out the school's web sites for the 411.

------------------