Questions to Ask Yourself and The Program/Residents When Choosing Endo Residency Programs to Apply For

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shendo

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
My name is Dr. Gordon Lai, I was a former endo resident at UOP, and currently help teach the endo residents there.
I've posted a series of questions on my endo IG account (predoc_endo_tips) to help those who are in the process of applying for endo residencies.
Here is a sample list of some of the questions to ask yourself when choosing a program to apply for. If you are interested in checking out the additional questions to ask the programs & residents here is the link: Login • Instagram
Best wishes to all those applying for this cycle!

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 8.07.27 AM.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks Dr. Lai!
I follow your account which has been very helpful not only for the application process these last few months but also for my RCTs as a practicing GD!

Does anyone know on average how many schools to apply to? Is 20 a good number for someone with not so good stats? Or more is better?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know on average how many schools to apply to? Is 20 a good number for someone with not so good stats? Or more is better?
I've tried to survey previous residents and still haven't come up with an average. The range is just too variable. Some people only apply to one or two programs since they may already know they're a shoe-in for one particular program (for example, some schools give high preference to their own dental students and this person already has a strong relationship with the endo director).

I've heard of as high as 30!

I've tried to survey previous residents and still haven't come up with an average. The range is just too variable. Some people only apply to one or two programs since they may already know they're a shoe-in for one particular program (for example, some schools give high preference to their own dental students and this person already has a strong relationship with the endo director).

:eek:

I applied to 32! I wanted to get in no matter what and I didn't care about the price or location. Only that it was a 2 year program.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks Dr. Lai!
I follow your account which has been very helpful not only for the application process these last few months but also for my RCTs as a practicing GD!
Glad to hear the account has been helpful for you! Best wishes for your application!

I applied to 32! I wanted to get in no matter what and I didn't care about the price or location. Only that it was a 2 year program.
How many interviews did you end up getting? How did you feel about the strength of your application?

How many interviews did you end up getting? How did you feel about the strength of your application?
I only got 2 interviews, but I was able to get in to my 2nd one. And I felt like I had a decent enough application with what I could get. My school didn't have a class rank or GPA, so I was worried that would affect me with certain programs, and I hadn't done any research or taken the ADAT. I guess looking back I really lucked out getting in without having any of that. But I had 4 years of experience as a GP, so maybe that helped more than anything.

Reactions: 1 user