Questions to ask at your AEGD/GPR interview....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Demeter

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
#1) Don't ask the residents any questions when their faculty is standing nearby. you will not get any honest answers. Get their phone numbers and interrogate them at home if they let you.

#2) All programs as going to try to sound great. Don't get fooled by empty promises.
Ask if they place Veneers, restore or place Implants, do IV sedation, pull impacted 3rds, perform Perio Surgery etc...

#3) Find out what the costs are for Dental treatment. Ask who pays for the treatment? At the VA all treatment is free. At some sites patients pay for everything and will choose the cheapest treatment plan i.e. EXT.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

hi.
i am a foreign graduate.
i would like to apply for AEGD program in NY.
i want to know whether i can apply for this program.can i practice dentistry after completion or should i retake the exam and do DDS.
thanks

Demeter said:
#1) Don't ask the residents any questions when their

faculty is standing nearby. you will not get any honest answers. Get their phone numbers and interrogate them at home if they let you.

#2) All programs as going to try to sound great. Don't get fooled by empty promises.
Ask if they place Veneers, restore or place Implants, do IV sedation, pull impacted 3rds, perform Perio Surgery etc...

#3) Find out what the costs are for Dental treatment. Ask who pays for the treatment? At the VA all treatment is free. At some sites patients pay for everything and will choose the cheapest treatment plan i.e. EXT.

Good luck.

Demeter said:
#1) Don't ask the residents any questions when their faculty is standing nearby. you will not get any honest answers. Get their phone numbers and interrogate them at home if they let you.

Good luck.

Good points. I would also add that asking the specialty residents what they think about the GPRs would be a good idea. They could provide a unique perspective on them. Even better if you ask the specialty residents that focus on what you want to focus.

Not to hijack the thread, but I was wondering what kind of board scores/class rank one should aim for to get into one of the better AEGD's/GPR's? (not talking post-match spots here...)