This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I just got accepted in the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine.
I have a few questions for graduates that have finished their residencies and are now working after earning their degree from this great school.
How did you compare to other students whether they be DO's or MD's when you wanted to specialize?
How hard was it to find the job of your choice as compared to your peers?
Do you feel OU-HCOM is only good for primary care?
For those that left the state, why did you leave and how did you compare against other MD's and DO's from other states?
Is it a good idea to do a double degree?

Thank you everyone! Super excited for this year!

Members don't see this ad.

These questions are difficult to answer accurately. Too many variables (your class rank, board scores, other students' scores, etc.).

It appears to me that you're having some insecurity as to the school, the DO degree, and your chances for a competitive residency coming from OU-HCOM.

For the record, your post sounds trollish, but I'll humor you:

How did you compare to other students whether they be DO's or MD's when you wanted to specialize? I didn't want to specialize. All my classmates that wanted to specialize did fine.
How hard was it to find the job of your choice as compared to your peers? Not hard at all.
Do you feel OU-HCOM is only good for primary care? No.
For those that left the state, why did you leave and how did you compare against other MD's and DO's from other states? Did not leave the state.
Is it a good idea to do a double degree? Depends on your future plans.

I am not a graduate but here is the match list from last year. As you can see, OU-HCOM grads go on to specialize in MANY different areas, many in highly competitive specialties in prestigious Hospital systems.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Attachments

• 2016+Match.pdf
    202 KB · Views: 177
Members don't see this ad :)
Shinken, I appreciate your prompt reply. I apologize if the post seemed "trollish" but I feel that asking for graduates for their opinion after graduation is important. Maybe I should have phrased it differently but I just typed the first thing that came through my head.

BoroPreMed92, I appreciate that list! Are you a current student?

Once your in residency the MD DO title doesn't really matter and has no weight toward being employed. If you have a pulse, medical degree and graduated residency you will find a job. We have a disadvantage in applying to certain specialties, but a little hard work and not being a weirdo go a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Once your in residency the MD DO title doesn't really matter and has no weight toward being employed. If you have a pulse, medical degree and graduated residency you will find a job. We have a disadvantage in applying to certain specialties, but a little hard work and not being a weirdo go a long way.

Thank you! That was my concern.

Congrats on the acceptance. It's a great school, laid back and had a good time there.

These questions are difficult to answer accurately. Too many variables (your class rank, board scores, other students' scores, etc.).

It appears to me that you're having some insecurity as to the school, the DO degree, and your chances for a competitive residency coming from OU-HCOM.

For the record, your post sounds trollish, but I'll humor you:

How did you compare to other students whether they be DO's or MD's when you wanted to specialize? I didn't want to specialize. All my classmates that wanted to specialize did fine.
How hard was it to find the job of your choice as compared to your peers? Not hard at all.
Do you feel OU-HCOM is only good for primary care? No.
For those that left the state, why did you leave and how did you compare against other MD's and DO's from other states? Did not leave the state.
Is it a good idea to do a double degree? Depends on your future plans.

How is "trollish" defined ?

Reactions: 1 user
c/0 2015 grad here.

How did you compare to other students whether they be DO's or MD's when you wanted to specialize? i don't understand the question really. i'm in a specialty. you can do want you want (though you may be limited by your scores)
How hard was it to find the job of your choice as compared to your peers? almost everyone is training in their specialty of choice. those that aren't were honestly marginal students who overshot
Do you feel OU-HCOM is only good for primary care? no
For those that left the state, why did you leave and how did you compare against other MD's and DO's from other states? i didn't leave the state. many don't just bc ohio is home. >80% in state students
Is it a good idea to do a double degree? if you want to its not a bad idea. barring hospital ceo, it is more lucrative to practice clinical medicine which is why i'm assuming you're going to med school. i would recommend this. but again, if you love business or public health, go for it. you also have the added benefit of an extra year that allows you to focus on what specialty you want to be in for the rest of your life.

hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users