Questions & Concerns: Clincal/Non-Clinical Volunteering, Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fruitcake2511

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so, here is my dilemma atm. I may just be over thinking this, but I want to have all my bases covered. Better to start sooner rather than later I suppose.

Anyways, a few years ago I volunteered at a veterinarian office and helped comfort pets as they were coming off of the effects of anesthesia. I did that for an entire summer. I also volunteered at a grooming shop. They were slammed and needed someone to help. We occasionally bathed and groomed shelter dogs so they could get ready to go to their new homes. It was in my small hometown, which is unfortunately crawling with stray animals. It was overall a great experience. I was going to use both of those for some of my non-clinical volunteer hours. Any suggestions on things I should seek out to add, maybe volunteer at a soup kitchen or something? I really want my application to stand out. I am quite nervous about this entire process if I'm being honest. I want to measure twice and cut once if you will. I really want to give it my all this first time around, rather than having to repeat this process again.

As far as clinical goes, I'm currently volunteering in the medsurg department at my local hospital. There is lots of patient interaction involved, as I am mostly surrounded by RNs and work to help them where I can. Here is where the problem comes in. All of my clinical volunteer experience is going to be within this last year (planning to apply for the June 2020 cycle). This is due to my chaotic family issues, insane living situation/schedule over the last few years, among other things. It is a long story, but to keep it short, it has been a struggle to get to where I am now. I do not want to appear like I "rushed into medicine" or that I'm just trying to check the boxes for med school. What can I do to make it not appear that way? Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated!!

Also, I have shadowed PAs in a few different departments. Originally, this was because I was considering going the PA route instead. Those were technically volunteer clinical hours, so are they okay to add? I thought maybe it would show I considered all of my options before deciding to go MD/DO, but not sure.

Look forward to your responses, they always help!

Members don't see this ad.

The vet thing sounds cool tbh - would help your app stand out. I would definitely see if you could volunteer and help actual people as an add-on - soup kitchens would definitely wok.

Tbh there's nothing you can do for the clinical volunteering thing since you can't go back in time. One suggestion would be to stay consistent with it and possibly continue it even in the year that you plan to apply. This way you'll have a solid 2 years before you *hopefully* matriculate and that should be good.

Well that makes me feel good! I would do the vet thing again in a heartbeat, but cannot fit it in my schedule now :(. The clinical volunteering that started this year was unfortunately not directly at the beginning, but even just a year and a half of experience may help me out. It is pretty difficult squeezing in volunteer work while I'm in 23 credit hours, as well as working, but I am managing. Rise and grind baby. Truly trying my best, hoping they value quality over quantity.