Questions about WICHE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anirose24

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m an AZ resident desperate for IS tuition, and am trying for WICHE status at Midwestern, as well as Oregon, Colorado, and Washington state schools. While I believe I am a strong applicant, I’d love to hear people’s views on how realistic WICHE status might be, as well as thoughts on having to stay in your home state for 4 years after graduation. I am planning to specialize and am wondering if WICHE might prevent me from traveling for opportunities after I graduate. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning to specialize and am wondering if WICHE might prevent me from traveling for opportunities after I graduate.
IIRC they allow you to postpone your 4 years if you’re specializing. I’m not from a WICHE state, but I believe I’ve seen people on here say that.

But if you can reduce your debt by half by getting WICHE funding, why would you not work in your home state for four years? WSU even preferences WICHE state students for their OOS seats even if they’re not applying for or getting funding, which means you’d still be eligible for IS tuition after the first year.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all, I’m an AZ resident desperate for IS tuition, and am trying for WICHE status at Midwestern, as well as Oregon, Colorado, and Washington state schools. While I believe I am a strong applicant, I’d love to hear people’s views on how realistic WICHE status might be, as well as thoughts on having to stay in your home state for 4 years after graduation. I am planning to specialize and am wondering if WICHE might prevent me from traveling for opportunities after I graduate. Thanks!
Are you still needing to apply (aka class of 2025?) or have you already applied to vet school. Since AZ just got UofA probationary accreditation there is strong consensus among people from AZ that WICHE will no longer be offered to students starting with C/O 2025. If you applied for C/O 2024 and were accepted to all of the above schools my advice would be accept your cheapest option should WICHE not be awarded. Which in this case would be WA. I believe OR is cheapest if WICHE is awarded and therefore I would urge you to choose that school if you know more about your WICHE status.

Ski is correct about WA and WICHE applicants as well as postponement for internship and residency training. However, at some point you would have to return for those 4 years within their specified guidelines. You can also do accelerated service so I think it's 2 years if you go to designated areas like the res. Or you could choose not to return all together at which point you will have to pay the state of AZ back. Interest rate is lower than govt loans right now, but if you die or get disabled, etc then your loans are not able to be forgiven, would be your spouses responsibility etc.

I am not from a WICHE state, but my 2 best friends are on WICHE from AZ.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
WSU even preferences WICHE state students for their OOS seats even if they’re not applying for or getting funding, which means you’d still be eligible for IS tuition after the first year.

I did not know this... gives me hope! But yes, in case I don't get WICHE, I am hoping to gain admission to a school that would allow for IS tuition after the first year (like WSU, Davis, Mizzou).

@MixedAnimals77, I would be applying this upcoming cycle, so class of 2025. It would be incredibly disappointing if they took away WICHE for AZ residents the year I apply. Thanks for the info!

Since AZ just got UofA probationary accreditation there is strong consensus among people from AZ that WICHE will no longer be offered to students starting with C/O 2025.

I was worried about this so I email the AZ state board of regents and the director of WICHE student exchange programs responded to me with this email:

"WICHE policy states that a state should continue to support students through the Professional Student Exchange Program until the new instate school graduates its first class and receives national accreditation. To date, we have no reason to believe that the Arizona Legislature will not honor that WICHE policy. "

So it looks like AZ should support WICHE students until after the c/o 2024 graduates and U of A gains full accreditation!

For the OP, I'm an AZ student that was accepted into Midwestern and got WICHE offers at Oregon and Washington (I'm going to OSU c/o 2024!). If you have any specific questions I'm down to answer whatever I'm capable of. Also, as far as I am aware you are able to defer your return to AZ in order to specialize.

Reactions: 2 users
"WICHE policy states that a state should continue to support students through the Professional Student Exchange Program until the new instate school graduates its first class and receives national accreditation. To date, we have no reason to believe that the Arizona Legislature will not honor that WICHE policy. "

So it looks like AZ should support WICHE students until after the c/o 2024 graduates and U of A gains full accreditation!

For the OP, I'm an AZ student that was accepted into Midwestern and got WICHE offers at Oregon and Washington (I'm going to OSU c/o 2024!). If you have any specific questions I'm down to answer whatever I'm capable of. Also, as far as I am aware you are able to defer your return to AZ in order to specialize.

Thank you so much! That is a huge relief and I hope they follow through with that. Do you know how WICHE works with Midwestern? Do they actually provide discounted tuition? Also, how did you choose between OSU and WSU? I know OSU is less expensive but were there any other reasons? Finally, did you apply to all of the WICHE schools to increase your chances, or only institutions you were actually interested in? Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks!

Thank you so much! That is a huge relief and I hope they follow through with that. Do you know how WICHE works with Midwestern? Do they actually provide discounted tuition? Also, how did you choose between OSU and WSU? I know OSU is less expensive but were there any other reasons? Finally, did you apply to all of the WICHE schools to increase your chances, or only institutions you were actually interested in? Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks!

Don’t worry about having lots of questions! I‘m not entirely sure how WICHE works for Midwestern and I’ve been told conflicting information about it. It’s hard to find information for it and I only have hearsay and nothing I can actually prove, but what I do know is that even though I was accepted and am WICHE certified I did not get a WICHE/discounted seat so take that for what you will.

choosing between OSU and WSU was so incredibly hard. They are almost identical in price, but OSU does seem to come out to be a bit cheaper, and both are amazing schools. The biggest draw to WSU for me was the sense on community they give off, I got hand written letters from them and many phone calls. I love their pass/fail grading and their simulation lab seems really cool. I didn’t get to visit before deciding though. I did visit OSU the year before applying and I really loved the school. I like that it‘s small, students gain lots of surgery experience, and I like the location better (I wouldn’t choose a school solely off that, but if they are the same price it got down to that kind of stuff). a major selling point too was their inclusiveness to the LGBT community. They have a student chapter of VOICE and have a banner on the schools page about supporting the community. I’ve had friends move from the Pullman area who disliked some views they came across there, and while I’m sure it would all be fine and I’d be relatively isolated in a vet school bubble, I just really liked the vibes I got from Corvallis. Not sure how I feel about the quarter syste, but there are pros and cons. Oh, also way less snow in Corvallis! And I love the rain!

I did apply to all the WICHE schools! I turned down my interview offer at CSU because at the point I’d been accepted into WSU and I knew I would go there over CSU due to the cost. I’d definitely say don’t apply anywhere you would never go. I do also like CSU as a school and would have gone if not accepted to cheaper options.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m an AZ WICHE student at WSU. The only WICHE schools I applied to were WSU and CSU, so can’t speak for WICHE at Midwestern but can probably help with any other questions!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Different kind of WICHE question, not sure if anyone has experienced this... So I'm WICHE from NV and will be attending WSU in the fall. My auto insurance is through USAA and they said that in order to change my auto policy to my WA address I will also need to register my car in WA and get a WA driver's license, however will that make me lose my NV residency and thereby jeopardize my WICHE status? WA DMV said the same thing. I emailed my NV WICHE office to seek guidance but I think they're running pretty behind due to COVID-19.

Different kind of WICHE question, not sure if anyone has experienced this... So I'm WICHE from NV and will be attending WSU in the fall. My auto insurance is through USAA and they said that in order to change my auto policy to my WA address I will also need to register my car in WA and get a WA driver's license, however will that make me lose my NV residency and thereby jeopardize my WICHE status? WA DMV said the same thing. I emailed my NV WICHE office to seek guidance but I think they're running pretty behind due to COVID-19.
I think it kind of depends on your situation. If you still have a home address in NV (like if your parents live there or whatever), I would just keep your auto policy tied to your NV address. If you don't have an NV address then I don't see how you could maintain residency status there anyway. Hopefully the WICHE office will get back to you soon!

Reactions: 3 users

Like previously mentioned it’d be ideal to have a family member’s address to just keep it registered to. I’ve been in Washington for almost a year now and have not gotten a WA license or switched my car here. I was worried about having to go through emissions but there are forms to skip emissions if you are an out of state student that I was able to fill out and send in with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 users
Different scenario but similar. Friend got married and changed her name. Therefore had to change her name on everything get new license, switched to husbands insurance, etc. Since she couldn't exactly go back to her state in the designated amount of time and was on husband's policies she switched to WA stuff. She checked with AZ and they kinda gawked but wasnt really anything they could do about it and ultimately decided it didnt matter as long as she still came back at the end. Definitely wait with your NV office though.

WICHE is competitive as you know. WICHE will allow you to postpone your commitment to your home state to further your education through advanced training in an internship or residency. I am on WICHE at Oregon State. The person who I know that got WICHE from AZ had a Masters, Bachelors, and a Minor and a fair amount of veterinary experience. I do not know their GPA/GRE, but I assume it was competitive.

In short, to be a competitive WICHE applicant, you should be near the top of the DVM applicant pool for both in and out of state and demonstrate a strong connection to your home state (registered to vote, have lived there for almost all your life, etc). Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! :hello:
I'm also an AZ resident and applied for all of those schools, as well as WICHE, last cycle. I was WICHE certified in November 2019 and was chosen for funding last month! I think if you can really stand out in something or a few things, you have a good shot at getting funding. I can give you my stats if you want to get an idea.
As others have mentioned, WSU early accepts some WICHE students without interviewing, so that's another possible bonus even if you don't get funding!
I feel totally good with coming back to AZ to work for 4 years. My whole family lives here and I love AZ a lot :). The only thing that made me pause for a moment is if I met someone, but it's a lot of saved money and I figured if it really worked with that person, they'd be willing to move for a few years :laugh:
If you have any other questions about WICHE let me know!

Also, if anyone is interested in a more in-depth explanation of how WICHE selects students, they offer this PDF.

In summary though...
1. The student applies to be WICHE certified (basically proves you are in fact a resident of said state and prompts the school to rank you for WICHE) and also applies to vet schools
2. Admissions committees from participating schools rank their WICHE applicants and submit this list to WICHE
3. WICHE compiles the scores weighted by rank from each school, with the #1 student being "most qualified." This happens around January.
4. WICHE releases a list to the schools of the top certified students who will get conditional offers (contingent on admin offer at participating school + state budget). They may also release an alternate list of students who are next in line for funding if available. The lists are alphabetical and there is no way to learn your ranking.
5. Schools release conditional WICHE offers to applicants
6. After April 15th, vacancies from students who decline WICHE funding will be offered to the next ranked applicant/s

All of this is explained in the pdf in more detail on the last page and there is a commonly asked questions section if you want more clarity. But the overall idea is that if you are competitive in general then the schools are more likely to rank you higher on their list, thus ranking you higher with the state for receiving funding.

Last edited:

The latest interview with Yoshua on "how i got into veterinary school site" talks about him being a WICHE recipient. He gained WICHE acceptance in a few states.

The latest interview with Yoshua on "how i got into veterinary school site" talks about him being a WICHE recipient. He gained WICHE acceptance in a few states.

This website is AWESOME idk how I've never heard of it! Thanks!

Hi everyone I’m set to be starting vet school in the fall but I have a favor to ask everyone. Due to coronavirus budget cuts Nevada might be defunding the WICHE PSEP program. I was wondering if you all could help us bring attention to this and send a message to this link: http://budget.nv.gov/GFO/Feedback_(GFO)/

Anyone can do it even if you’re not a Nevada resident and we have a generic message for you to just copy and paste:

I am writing to discuss the urgent importance of maintaining funding to the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) Professional Student Exchange Program (PSEP). Due to COVID-19, the WICHE office is facing substantial reductions in their budget and the office may not have the funding needed to support WICHE students. This will negatively impact Nevada students who must leave the state to pursue professional education, like veterinary school. Since Nevada does not have an in-state veterinary school, the least expensive option for Nevada students is to pursue a veterinary program at a WICHE participating institution.

WICHE’s PSEP funding is critical for students. Without an in-state option, Nevada students hoping to become veterinarians face substantial increases in debt burden due to high out-of-state tuition costs. WICHE-supported Nevada professionals are guaranteed to work a minimum of 2-4 years in Nevada, which helps to alleviate workforce shortages. WICHE also creates additional employment opportunities that help contribute to a robust Nevada economy. If Nevada is forced to cut funding to WICHE’s PSEP, both the students and the great state of Nevada will face significant losses.

I ask that funding remain available to the hardworking students of Nevada. Please consider the negative impact on students if they are unable to receive WICHE funding to pursue professional education. This funding is vital to Nevada students who are otherwise unable to take on the debt burden that would come with attending an out-of-state veterinary school.

Students have made major life and financial decisions based on WICHE funding and it is deeply unfair to defund WICHE’s PSEP at this time. WICHE funding will alleviate a crushing amount of educational debt for Nevada students. Please do not defund WICHE PSEP.

PLEASE it’ll only take a few minutes. I’m a first generation college student from a family of Mexican immigrants. Receiving WICHE funding gave me hope that my dream was attainable but now with the possible increase in tuition I’m not so sure I will be able to attend CSU in the fall :(

Thank you all in advance!

• Love
Does anyone know any logistics about how the funding is distributed?

Basically I’m trying to figure out how much I need to accept in federal student loans, which I will need for tuition only. If I subtract my WICHE loan + CVM scholarship from my OOS tuition in my student account, I come up with $X amount. However, I’m not sure how WICHE funds are paid out and I have a fear that I’ll take out $X but then the WICHE funds won’t be there yet and I’ll owe the school $XXX that I won’t have and I’ll get kicked out or something.

I’ve emailed the CVM’s specific contact in the Fin Aid office early last month as well as the general Fin Aid office mid last month and no responses. I think my question is too complicated? Or maybe it's too obvious and I’m an idiot? Idk.

Basically I’m trying to figure out how much I need to accept in federal student loans, which I will need for tuition only. If I subtract my WICHE loan + CVM scholarship from my OOS tuition in my student account, I come up with $X amount. However, I’m not sure how WICHE funds are paid out and I have a fear that I’ll take out $X but then the WICHE funds won’t be there yet and I’ll owe the school $XXX that I won’t have and I’ll get kicked out or something.

I’ve emailed the CVM’s specific contact in the Fin Aid office early last month as well as the general Fin Aid office mid last month and no responses. I think my question is too complicated? Or maybe it's too obvious and I’m an idiot? Idk.
You should be able to take more out than you need and return it before the end of the semester without getting charged interest in it. I would definitely call your financial aid office (vs emailing) and double check about that and maybe they’ll be able to clarify the WICHE stuff too.

Should be oos-wiche-scholarship=x owed as none of my wiche friends have ever had an issue. Dont forget to factor in the fees with your tuition. Your going to wsu right? Have you tried email stacy or kt?

Different scenario but similar. Friend got married and changed her name. Therefore had to change her name on everything get new license, switched to husbands insurance, etc. Since she couldn't exactly go back to her state in the designated amount of time and was on husband's policies she switched to WA stuff. She checked with AZ and they kinda gawked but wasnt really anything they could do about it and ultimately decided it didnt matter as long as she still came back at the end. Definitely wait with your NV office though.
I know that this is way after the fact, but I'm trying to get more information. The AZ WICHE office is notoriously difficult to get any information out of regarding what they expect students to do to "maintain residency" while in school. Do you happen to remember any details or would be willing to connect me to your friend?

I know that this is way after the fact, but I'm trying to get more information. The AZ WICHE office is notoriously difficult to get any information out of regarding what they expect students to do to "maintain residency" while in school. Do you happen to remember any details or would be willing to connect me to your friend?
Iirc Before she was married she just kept her license and license plates under AZ, no big deal. After she got married it all had to change so she didn't do anything persay except recert when she had to.