questions about undergrad study abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ufblondi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in studying abroad in Oz starting in the Feb term. Any recommendations on where to go, what the best location is, etc? I would need to take a physics class while there and possibly bio 2 in order to finish up my pre reqs...I was also considering taking the MCAT while there in April since it is offered internationally. Anyone have any experience with doing this? How are the classes there? More difficult than in the US? I am wondering if I should try and get the bio 2 out of the way before I go over since I do not really know how the structure of classes are there and how they grade and what grades are based on. I have been to Sydney, Cairns, Byron Bay, been to the great barrier reef..and I have family in several places there. I wouldn't mind going back to Sydney, or even trying some place new. If anyone has any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as MCAT concerns, MCAT is offered as a computer test in Australia or other international testing sites. I have an experience in taking a computer test and and it was terrible, especially verbal, compared to a paper exam that I had to take later.

I'm at the moment in honours year (4th year, a research year) of my degree in Sydney University. Australian uni grading system (in most universities) is like this: High Distinction (>=85%), Distinction (75-84), Credit (65-74), Pass (>=50) and fail (<50) with some variations. I have not had any opportunity to study in the US but I have heard from this guy who came from the US (he already got into medicine in a US institution) and took the same class with me, that 'A' in a standard US institution is pretty much equivalent to 'Distinction' in Aust institution. First year subjects are usually easy but third year subjects are way harder than first year ones.

I am an international student myself (not from the US/Canada) studying in Aust. So I haven't been to many places in Australia. I have an impression that Sydney is a great place to live, but expensive if you don't have funding.

If I were you, I would search for a place that is willing to give you an opportunity to have a clinical/basic science research experience throughout a year (and possibly publication as well, who knows).

I just threw my 0.02 cents...hopefully it helps..

Can't help you with most of the stuff, but come Melbourne to study!

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/10/04/world.cities/

"Most livable City". That article was for `02 but I'm pretty sure Melbourne scored first again for '03. Just couldn't find the articles.

Otherwise, go Sydney. That's nice as well. Queensland if you like the beach, or just want to perve on the surfers. ;)